Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-31-2019, 11:55 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 09:54 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Of course, in the specific case of a transit tap machine, if a significant number of riders are having a problem the fix is probably changing the design.

Is it though? In the case of such a simple action like using a NFC tap card in a location right next to the screen that is not hidden but boldly marked, and the users are not holding the card close enough to the sensor, is the solution interface/product redesign, or is it user education on how to properly tap a NFC card?

As I have pointed out, similar problems were seen on the bus fareboxes until people got used to actually laying their card right on the sensor, and now it's rare to see people do it wrong. It's not unreasonable  to expect that people be able to generalise from using their card on the farebox to using it at a kiosk or toll poles, especially since all three have the same visual indicator of where to tap your card.

This is the point though, we already have similar interfaces, if someone uses one wrong, and another one right, there is a difference in design between those two systems which is causing users to make a mistake on one.

I actually didn't see any mistakes on buses, and people already have been using tap cards on payment terminals.

Honestly, I've been using the system for a while, and I find it physically awkward to use right, it's so poorly designed, it cannot be used with one hand (before the card holder) and the onscreen instructions actually lead to improper use, and worse, the error message that comes from improper use does not in any way help the user solve the problem.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 08-31-2019, 01:11 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM