Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exlusionary zoning and segregation in Canada
(03-14-2021, 03:22 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(03-14-2021, 02:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It may be happening to some extent in Canada, too, but the framework that enabled it in the US doesn't exist here, so I would certainly expect it to be less common.

The only framework that is required is the use of zoning. When you define things like minimum set-backs or lawn sizes, you increase the size of the property needed for a house which increases the price, and so on. When immigrants, indigenous, and people of colour are poorer than white people, this results in suburbs being disproportionately white. Requiring developers to build parks and other similar features decreases the amount of land in a neighbourhood that can be sold off as housing, which means the sale prices go up for the developer to recover their costs, increasing the barrier for entry. There's many more was that zoning regulations caused segregation while never, ever once mentioning race or skin colour.

Also we have to do is look at the demographic history Canadian cities to see that those same patterns that happened in the USA happened up here, too, so I think it's naïve to assume that it happened less up here.

I'm not going to say that Canada is innocent here but there were, in addition to zoning, discriminatory lending practices etc in the US which don't explicitly exist in Canada. So I think it is worth teasing out the role of various differences. It's not just money. It's also cross burnings.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Exlusionary zoning and segregation in Canada - by plam - 03-14-2021, 04:50 PM