Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Q Condos (20 Queen St N) | 34 fl | Proposed
(04-04-2021, 07:50 AM)ktmbtsmrt Wrote: I have two problems with this development:
1) That there is parking access on Queen St. I would love to see Queen street be pedestrianized between at least Duke and Charles. Having parking access to a 34 floor building will make that much harder to do in the future. It's not like there aren't any already established parking garages behind and across the street
2) The laneway isn't directly engaged. It would be great to me if the bottom floor, adjacent to the lane was some kind of engaging space like a restaurant or cafe that had direct access to the laneway. Especially if there is community space in the building and the parkette across the street, this could be a well-used space

Welcome to the forums ktmbtsmrt!

I can't see disconnecting Queen St S and Queen St N (by pedestrianizing a block or three in the middle) given that it's the main artery perpendicular to King St, and the next ones are Victoria and Ottawa. (Yes, there is Benton/Frederick but it dead-ends after Courtland.) It would make for a nice block, for sure, but I really can't imagine the city doing that in the next decade or two. That said, given that they will be using the city garage at Duke/Ontario, I don't see why there would be any parking access from Queen St.

The way I read the Record article, I do think the performance space will be accessible from the laneway. Details not clear yet, though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 20 Queen St N | 34 fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 04-03-2021, 01:11 PM
RE: 20 Queen St N | 34 fl | Proposed - by Bjays93 - 04-03-2021, 02:17 PM
RE: 20 Queen St N | 34 fl | Proposed - by Chris - 04-03-2021, 02:35 PM
RE: 20 Queen St N | 34 fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 04-03-2021, 02:48 PM
RE: 20 Queen St N | 34 fl | Proposed - by tomh009 - 04-03-2021, 03:14 PM
RE: Q Condos (20 Queen St N) | 34 fl | Proposed - by tomh009 - 04-04-2021, 05:28 PM