Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Kraus Development (525-565 Conestogo Road) | 3-35 fl | Proposed
(06-27-2021, 09:22 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I am sorry, but a tunnel is a ridiculous idea. It would cost 2 to 3 times as much. You would still need a significant ramp down to get under freeway so you wouldn't save much space/distance. Also there are more concerns when it comes to safety.  I wouldn't hesitate to take an overpass at night, a tunnel I would think twice about.

First of all, you could use a bit more respect than calling it a "ridiculous idea".

Second of all, could you provide some citations showing that it would cost 2-3 times as much? Bridges over the freeway cost a fortune, and the causeway would also be an expensive project.

As for a "significant ramp"...the reason the overpass must be so high is because the highway carries large vehicles. A tunnel does not need to be nearly so large. Which aside from making it cheaper, also makes the access ramps shorter.  And if we wanted to spend 2-3 times as much, we could probably regrade the highway (which is already slightly above ground level because of super-elevation) and make the tunnel level.

As for social safety issues, they can be a problem for tunnels, but if the tunnels are well designed, it significantly mitigates that issue. It is also the case that there are social safety issues for a near 300 meter long bridge and causeway.  I know tunnels can be done well, because I have seen tunnels done well...not here of course, but in other places.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - by danbrotherston - 06-27-2021, 11:15 PM
RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - by nms - 06-28-2021, 11:25 PM