Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Kraus Development (525-565 Conestogo Road) | 3-35 fl | Proposed
(06-28-2021, 04:08 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 02:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The tunnels under Westmount Rd. are utterly pessimal. They are literally storm drains. I am not suggesting that we have that as a tunnel.

But not all tunnels have to look that way, there are better tunnel designs. For example you say "This is especially true for women who could easily experience sexual assault or rape inside of something where nobody can see.", but as I said, one way in which you make tunnels more pleasant is by eliminating places that you cannot see, make them wide enough that you can see through them.

I fully understand the reasons why tunnels can are less socially safe, but in understanding that, I also understand how those issues can be mitigated, and I've seen those mitigations in person. I felt they were effective. I'm not sure if you'd agree, upon seeing such well designed tunnels, but at least keep an open mind.

As for merit, I'm surprised you see no other merits, connecting to an existing and currently entirely wasted green space is a major benefit, as would connecting more directly to Dutton Dr.

Well I know you can design a tunnel to be wider and better lit, but it's still an enclosed space and that makes people nervous. The wider you make it and the more lighting you put in, the more the costs go up to construct and maintain it. Private developers want to make money, so they'll go with the cheapest option.

I'd have no problem walking through one since I've lived in cities like Berlin where they are everywhere, but what about the experience for a 15 year old girl or young university student? Women feel nervous just walking down the street after dark these days due to how often they get harassed. It could very well end up being a waste of money if not that many people used it, which then increases how dilatated it ends up becoming. I'm sure the developer/architects considered a tunnel, but realized a bridge is a lot cheaper and arguably safer for people.

Also, I'm not sure what greenspace you're referring to around here. The little forest beside the ION facility is ROW property and fenced in as it's part of their property, likely for future expansion of the facility. Everything else belongs to private property owners or the MTO. I'm not sure why you'd want to connect to Dutton Drive either, there is nothing there. The bridge will provide direct access to Northfield Station which makes a lot more sense.

It would be nice if they could somehow connect the Laurel Trail to Northfield Station and the trail to St. Jacob's. The offices at the end of Dutton get in the way of this, unfortunately.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - by jamincan - 06-28-2021, 06:19 PM
RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - by nms - 06-28-2021, 11:25 PM