Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
(10-31-2021, 08:52 AM)KevinT Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 06:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: Careful, you're not allowed to say that around here. Now the LRT foamers are gonna have it out for ya and tell you that it's too expensive to make the right choice, so we must settle on second if not tenth best.

Trust me I've tried making the argument for subterranean a sections and get told I'm crazy haha.

Lol, I dream of the top of Charles being a portal where the LRT goes underground, I just can't figure out where it could pop out farther 'north'. I have childhood memories of 6 week summers spent with Oma in Essen Germany riding streetcars that went underground through the core... I'd love that here!

Edit to add: I also dream of Block Line station looking like Pimisi in Ottawa, with ION hugging the rail corridor until turning to follow the hydro corridor to Fairway instead of the Hayward S-nail we have now.

For Block Line, I absolutely agree, it seems like an absolute no brainer, the system would have been much faster much more efficient.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "top" of Charles, are you suggesting it should be underground north of Downtown? Why would the LRT need to be buried there?

You folks probably know I strongly disagree with grade separating the LRT. Block line I support because the topology of the area makes it natural to be grade separated. But the rest of the locations, I see grade separation as an expensive (and unnecessary) investment to make more room for cars.

Here's the question I'd ask you folks who think the LRT should be buried. Would you still believe the LRT should be buried if the downtown (or uptown) cores were car free? I.e., if there were no cars permitted in the area you want the LRT buried, would you still think it should be buried? What benefits would there be to burying it there? Because as always, there are disadvantages--and not just cost but accessibility.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed - by danbrotherston - 10-31-2021, 12:59 PM