Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
(11-10-2021, 07:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote: WRC folks get too worked up over “nimby” stuff, imo.  Most times it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference.  On occasion, projects are improved by community input.  And, yes,  sometimes the developers response to nimby advocacy results in an inferior project.  It all seems a normal part of the process to me.  There’s also nothing to stop those interested from organizing to advocate in favour of development proposals.

I don't mean to say that this project will be majorly changed by that input. My bigger issue is the noise and attention from public input focuses on trivialities that aren't going to change (as others have said here; its too important and aligned with the city plan for it to not get approved), when I wish that the small amount of public change that can be affected was directed to more productive ends like:

- Engagement with the public realm/streetscape.
- Not having value engineering supplant reasonable architecture with concrete podium bricks in our downtown.
- Having more family oriented units (even if that is more a mid-density that needs policy incentive).
- Extracting some manner of support for affordable housing in the area (including where those NIMBYs would also oppose it).

It just makes the public process slow development for no particular upside. That's that part that is more frustrating to me than it necessarily having an outsized impact on what proceeds anyways. Maybe others have priorities in addition to the ones above that come to mind, though few end up noted atop a pile of "too tall" and "ownership feel/character".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed - by cherrypark - 11-10-2021, 11:52 PM