Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
(11-11-2021, 09:03 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 01:36 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I mean, I understand why people try this argument, it's inherently conservative.

What pisses me off, and frankly, reveals NIMBYs true goals is when they oppose buildings smaller than the neighbouring buildings, as they did on Belmont.

I feel I should repeat myself first: I don't think neighbours should have much or any say about these developments. With that in mind, I don't think there is merit to your comment about NIMBYs goals. First, you are othering a fairly diverse group of people simply because they disagree with you. The people who use nearby buildings as benchmark, and those who oppose a building smaller than existing structures are not the same group. Certainly there is some overlap, and I'm sure you've even met some of these individuals. But that alone doesn't make all people you disagree with fit into this bucket.

Secondly, a neighbourhood composed of 1 highrise to 99 lowrise buildings is not the same as the inverse. It sounds stupid to say something so obvious, but saying that a development shorter than an existing nearby structure can't be opposed for height reasons is implying that both scenarios are indeed the same.

I think we can criticize those helping to fuel our housing crisis while maintaining nuance and understanding, and avoiding divisiveness.

(11-11-2021, 06:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: Personal take but conservatives are stupid people, it's not a surprise that when they present their arguments to the public at large, they get called stupid. Oh well.

When conservatives present their opinions to liberal echo chambers they get called stupid. I feel you should know, the opposite is equally as true.

You are right on some points, but wrong on others. People claiming that a development "doesn't fit the character of the neighbourhood" when that development is a similar size and scale to other buildings nearby are using a ridiculous argument. If they were more honest, they'd say "we don't want more people here"...but that would mean being honest about their objectionable motives.

I'm sure there are some folks who are trying to give constructive criticism. I have two comments that I always give in response to that. First, we're in a housing crisis. It's too late, we've lost the opportunity to try and build better, because we just need to build as much as possible. And second, maybe they do have valuable things to say. It's too bad they're drowned out by the angry mob trying to keep people out of their neighbourhood.

Yeah, I might be othering them, at this point, I don't care, I try not to hate people too easily, but at least where I live, these folks are ridiculous, and it's hurting my community, so I'm done giving them the time of day. Sorry if they aren't all bad, but at a certain point, you have to look around and see the people who are fighting with you and question if you are in the right place.

As for the stupidity of whomever...just because conservatives will also call liberals stupid does not mean that there is no objective truth. At this point, both parties (lets be specific here, because there is data on this) have extremists who are poorly informed, but conservatives are objectively measured as less informed and more prone to missinformation than progressives pretty reliably.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed - by danbrotherston - 11-11-2021, 09:26 PM