Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
I think her complaint - and those of many other people - is just down to the height of the building, which is why the petition is advocating for less height as many of them do. I can get it - it'd be jarring to see a 38 floor skyscraper out my window within a year if I was used to seeing trees etc - but they ultimately fail to understand what is happening around them. They also fail to understand how affordable housing works i.e. there is a common misconception that it means subsidized housing for the very poor instead of lowering the cost of housing across the board.

For many people there is just a very simplistic objection to the idea of cluster of tall buildings suddenly in view when they weren't there before. I'd say it goes back to Heidegger's concept of building/dwelling/thinking - with humans who by nature will prefer immediately familiar dwelling or environments. But because we're a rapidly growing region/collection of cities, people need to understand that there are going to be changes. The philosopher Bernard Stiegler built upon (second) Heidegger's ideas and specifically his allusion to Greek ideas of episteme and tekhne (technē - so, technology - not art/technique) and made a good point that there are always sudden, drastic changes in human societies history: tehkne develops faster than culture. It makes it hard for people to immediately grasp the changes around them, so they object to them, particularly when it involves drastic cultural, technological and architectural transformation. But those changes are always inevitable, though there will be ups and downs (on a micro scale specific to here, the approval or disapproval of buildings).

Not sure if that makes sense, but it's something studied in urban/architectural/cultural theory. Either way, the region is going to develop no matter what these sort of NIMBYs say.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 12-08-2021, 11:37 PM