Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maison Hotel (Uptown Waterloo, Former Police Station) - Abandonded Proposal?
(01-19-2022, 03:53 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Which essentially means although there are a lot of people who live in the region that still work for Shopify. Shopify has no presence in the region, future hires will probably be outsourced to cheaper tech/ labour markets. Its odd to think of the difference between Google and Shopify. Google is expanding offices and building something within the region. Where as in 10+ years people will forget Shopify even existed in waterloo. I am a little disappointed in shopify's decision to make 100% work from home there new corporate policy, the CEO/ Founder will definitely get his bonus for saving the company on lease expenses. I wish all the best to Shopify as it is a Canadian technology success story, I just don't know if corporate culture can be sustained and expand in a 100% work from home culture.

Quite. Shopify won't really be anywhere. In the long run all the employees will be ones who love working from home. And, yes, I expect that you are right that they will tend to be ones from less expensive areas.

Many current local employees that don't enjoy 100% virtual as much will likely migrate over time to other employers. And, as you say, Shopify will really start to fade away from the local tech scene.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Maison Hotel (Uptown Waterloo, Former Police Station) - Abandonded Proposal? - by tomh009 - 01-19-2022, 04:37 PM