Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(12-20-2022, 10:23 AM)nms Wrote: Assuming they need a higher frequency of operation to keep the ice clear, what are the provisions of the agreement to pay for that?

If the trains are running on 8 minute headways, would that mean that between 11 and 12 units would be heading northbound while another 11 or 12 are heading southbound? If the trains are on 6 minute headways, that would mean 15 units going in each direction.  Since we only have 14 units in the entire fleet, would we have to wait for the Region to buy extra units fill the gap? Would GrandLinq then cover the staffing costs?

Or is my math wrong, and the better option would be 5-10 pickup trucks with railway wheels and pantographs to keep the ice clear in the interim?

I think you've doubled the number of required vehicles. We currently have the vehicles required to run 7 minute headways, which is 13 + 2 maintenance spares.

AFAIK, under the contract the region sets the schedule, and is responsible for procuring enough vehicles to make the schedule possible (though I'm sure GrandLinq has maintenance obligations, can't just say they need absurd spare ratios). So I'd assume scheduling more frequently to avoid ice buildup would be the region's obligation.

That said, GrandLinq pays a penalty whenever the region has to substitute with buses. GrandLinq also has a ridership incentive payment. So there's definitely some amount of pressure on GrandLinq here to try to solve this better.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by taylortbb - 12-20-2022, 10:51 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM