Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
This is my favourite quote:

Quote:“We don’t need it. We don’t want it,” said Jane Harding, who lives on Michael Street.

“We don’t need more condos. We need more affordable housing. We live downtown. We see it,” she said.

So this lady understands we need more affordable housing and therefore she opposes...more supply of housing.

Meanwhile, the developer "will commit to 50 affordable housing units (ownership at $368,000) as well as a financial contribution to an affordable housing provider to build units elsewhere in Kitchener." 

So if she has her way, there will be 1000+ fewer units of housing supply, including no affordable units, and no donation to an affordable housing provider in Kitchener. I would love to hear her try to explain exactly how that specific outcome helps contribute to resolving the need for more affordable housing. And since it obviously doesn't, I'd actually be even more interested to hear what her true complaint is and then have a discussion about why that should outweigh building as many housing units as possible on this piece of property. It'd be fascinating to know if, once you boiled it down to whatever is truly bothering her, she would come out and say, "Yes, I understand this helps address the issue of affordable housing in Kitchener, but I believe an extra hour of shadow per day on my house (or insert whatever harm she is worried about) is not worth that." I'd have so much more respect for these people if they just said that and then we could have an honest discussion about individual vs. collective rights and what the correct balance is.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed - by KingandWeber - 12-08-2021, 11:21 PM