Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-27-2020, 12:02 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Is this all weather-related or what?

A car skidded out and ended up over the curve and on the ballasted track along Courtland. https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/12...40033?s=19

I'd call that indirectly weather related.

That's an impressive bit of driving.
(02-27-2020, 12:02 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Some of the delays this morning were so bad they actually had a train at Waterloo Town Square 30 minutes behind proceed to the crossover and then just turn around and go southbound instead. Is this all weather-related or what? Listening on the scanner for a couple hours this morning, there are so many malfunctioning gates. One e-brake near-miss with a pedestrian, truck blocking the tracks, car under a gate...

At least one car on the tracks. I wouldn't call it weather, I'd call it bad driving. I came to a realization today, when reading the WRPS tweet stating they had 80some collisions reported in the past 12 hours, we all remark during the first snowfall that everyone forgot how to drive in snow--but that isn't the case, drivers are never good in snow, we just forget how bad it is, every year, so the first snowfall isn't "oh so many crashes, they'll get better" its, "oh, so many crashes, we'll get used to it".
Just learned something interesting. Apparently the platform's utility boxes have a local PA Mike inside of them.

They were testing this system at Allen with someone at the box going "testing" and it coming out of all the speakers.
Some machinery was delivered and site prep started today for the R&T Park station area improvements.    
(03-03-2020, 04:38 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Some machinery was delivered and site prep started today for the R&T Park station area improvements.
I've been watching them dig up the site over the last few months.  What are they trying to do here?
(03-03-2020, 05:30 PM)avernar Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 04:38 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Some machinery was delivered and site prep started today for the R&T Park station area improvements.
I've been watching them dig up the site over the last few months.  What are they trying to do here?

I think improvements to the public space, something like a park/plaza with the trail running through it.

(03-03-2020, 05:45 PM)urbd Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 05:30 PM)avernar Wrote: I've been watching them dig up the site over the last few months.  What are they trying to do here?

I think improvements to the public space, something like a park/plaza with the trail running through it.

I heard its going to be a greenspace with a trail that connects the philip st. side of the trail to the main trail so people won't have to walk down the platform to connect to the laurel trail.
Too bad the gray substation fills so much of the view space. Hopefully they can disguise it somehow.
(03-03-2020, 11:46 PM)KevinL Wrote: Too bad the gray substation fills so much of the view space. Hopefully they can disguise it somehow.

A vinyl art mural would be nice wrapped around it, provided it wouldn't get vandalized with graffiti or anything. They could open up a call to artists, and with UW Fine Art faulty nearby, they could get something that would look good.
Another colission reported on Ottawa according to reddit.
This one has significant enough damage it actually made it into local news.

https://twitter.com/that_phidoan/status/...5626558464
(03-10-2020, 01:00 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: This one has significant enough damage it actually made it into local news.

Newtex' own van, right in front of their own business, talk about a black eye.

From the side it was hit on I'd guess that it made a left from Ottawa onto Dundas right into the train's path. That's probably tougher for the LRV driver to predict than if it had been making a right onto Ottawa, I hope the driver and passengers weren't too shook up by that hit.

Ctv says the van was turning into the parking lot. Another case of someone not looking before they turn. Nothing to see here.
(03-10-2020, 01:28 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 01:00 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: This one has significant enough damage it actually made it into local news.

Newtex' own van, right in front of their own business, talk about a black eye.

From the side it was hit on I'd guess that it made a left from Ottawa onto Dundas right into the train's path. That's probably tougher for the LRV driver to predict than if it had been making a right onto Ottawa, I hope the driver and passengers weren't too shook up by that hit.

Driver was charged with "Turn -- Not in Safety"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »