Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It's a secret :-)

I hope they wait until Queen is open again.
Very unimpressed and saddened to see chain link fence poles going up between Quiet Place and Bearanger. Sad I hope this isn't a trend. If this is what we're getting in Waterloo Park, I'm out.

As Kevin & others are doing a great job documenting the central section of the line, I'll focus more on the Northern end. Here are some photos from this morning, mostly of the detail work for the catenary.

...and if you're wondering, the carabiners hanging from the messenger wire (the top wire) are just temporary to aid in stringing the contact wire. The carabiners are removed once the contact wire is clamped in place at the bottom of the hangar.
(04-16-2016, 08:27 AM)Canard Wrote: Very unimpressed and saddened to see chain link fence poles going up between Quiet Place and Bearanger. Sad I hope this isn't a trend. If this is what we're getting in Waterloo Park, I'm out.

Pretty much all along it, only way to keep small people out or for running in front unexpectedly.
(04-16-2016, 11:39 AM)darts Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 08:27 AM)Canard Wrote: Very unimpressed and saddened to see chain link fence poles going up between Quiet Place and Bearanger. Sad I hope this isn't a trend. If this is what we're getting in Waterloo Park, I'm out.

Pretty much all along it, only way to keep small people out or for running in front unexpectedly.

Nobody cares about this for four-lane roads with sidewalks immediately next to them. Why can’t we put up fences along roads, but rely on the 6m gap including a large ditch for the LRT?

I agree with Canard, subject to a minor footnote to the effect that I haven’t actually seen the location and I don’t know what is planned for the entire line so I can’t really judge fully.

(04-16-2016, 11:50 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 11:39 AM)darts Wrote: Pretty much all along it, only way to keep small people out or for running in front unexpectedly.

Nobody cares about this for four-lane roads with sidewalks immediately next to them. Why can’t we put up fences along roads, but rely on the 6m gap including a large ditch for the LRT?

I agree with Canard, subject to a minor footnote to the effect that I haven’t actually seen the location and I don’t know what is planned for the entire line so I can’t really judge fully.

Given it is near the goat/llama pens and in a park that the parents might not be holding their child's hand the entire time.

But you are right they should have guard rails up along the road throughout the city.
Why are the Conestoga and Fairview platforms side platforms and not island platforms?

O.o
I don't think Canard was objecting to a fence in principle, but to the style and materials.

I agree that a high-traffic area like Waterloo Park should have a higher quality and better aesthetic of fence design. Hopefully that's what we'll get.
(04-16-2016, 03:53 PM)KevinL Wrote: I don't think Canard was objecting to a fence in principle, but to the style and materials.

I agree that a high-traffic area like Waterloo Park should have a higher quality and better aesthetic of fence design. Hopefully that's what we'll get.

I agree, however in terms of keeping people out there isn't a lot that beats a standard chain link fence. Other types of fences can be used to mark off boundries but don't do as well keeping small people from getting through them. I am not a fence designer but nothing really comes to mind that can do the job and be practical. I guess plexiglass or something similar could be used but it wouldn't look that much better and be a lot more expensive, especially for on going repairs.
(04-16-2016, 11:50 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Nobody cares about this for four-lane roads with sidewalks immediately next to them. Why can’t we put up fences along roads, but rely on the 6m gap including a large ditch for the LRT?

If the roads were only used by the Region (and their vehicles), and they had 100% liability for everything that happened on those roads, they would have a fence.

Coke
There are all sorts of fence designs that would serve that purpose and be more presentable. For example: [Image: Fences-29.jpg]

I think, though, that even a black chain link fence would be more presentable than the standard galvanized steel. At a bare minimum, it doesn't look like it will be too high.

They say that the only stupid question is the one not ask, so here goes. Why are any fences required for the ION?
They aren't. I don't have them handy but I've posted lots of photos of other examples of LRT systems operating directly next to multi-use paths at speed with either a hedge or a knee-heigh fence as a demarcator.

Jane Mitchel brought this up on behalf of many of us about a year ago when we voiced our concerns, but I never heard anything back. Perhaps I'll reach out to her again. We can't screw this up. I need to be able to get good video of the trains blasting along the corridor at 70 km/h and I can't do that through a 2m chain link fence!! Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »