Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(01-08-2022, 11:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm wondering which PM people think did more for "Reconciliation" than has Trudeau (fils)?

Stephen Harper- the Truth and Reconciliation commission was completed from 2008 to 2015.  The commission was decommissioned in 2015 after the Liberals came into.office.

The upside is, the Liberals have been implementing recommendations from the report.  Everything they have done is in the report including xraying grave at the schools.

(01-09-2022, 12:40 AM)JoeKW Wrote: It is true that he has made efforts towards Reconciliation but it does feel lacking when the RCMP are acting like a private army on behalf of corporations against the Wet'suwet'en... with that said, this has gone off topic and I'm really not an expert in this topic so I'll leave it there.

You mean, against one faction of the Wet'suwet'en, specifically the faction supported by the kings (unelected chiefs) rather than by the duly and democratically elected parliament (band council).

That’s not to say that I necessarily support everything they’re doing (I’ve heard some pretty damaging allegations against the RCMP), but as far as I can tell it is simply incorrect on the face of it to frame the Wet'suwet'en situation as helpless First Nation against modern society.
Yeah, I'm aware of some controversy but not enough to take a position on it.
We should create a separate thread for indigenous issues if you want to continue the discussion, and leave this one for COVID-19 discussion.
Current 7-day Covid-19 cases per 100k

• Lambton Public Health 807.1
• Eastern Ontario Health Unit 760.9
• Windsor-Essex County Health Unit 729.0
• Chatham-Kent Public Health 705.4
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 695.2

• Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 695.1

• Halton Region Public Health 681.6
• Peel Public Health 681.2
• Middlesex-London Health Unit 679.4
• Durham Region Health Department 653.6
• York Region Public Health 648.9
• Niagara Region Public Health 607.6
• Toronto Public Health 566.6
• Brant County Health Unit 550.9
• Southwestern Public Health 549.9
• Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit 521.6
• Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit 512.5
• Ottawa Public Health 498.6
• Northwestern Health Unit 471.1
• Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health 469.0
• Hastings Prince Edward Public Health 466.5
• Huron Perth Public Health 457.2
• Public Health Sudbury & Districts 453.7
• Porcupine Health Unit 436.2
• Renfrew County and District Health Unit 428.1
• Grey Bruce Health Unit 420.3
• Peterborough Public Health 418.3
• Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit 393.8
• Thunder Bay District Health Unit 364.1
• Algoma Public Health 343.4
• Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington Public Health 334.7
• Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit 292.8
• Timiskaming Health Unit 269.2
• North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit 255.1

• TOTAL ONTARIO 585.8
(01-08-2022, 07:51 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 12:27 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: What parts of society exactly are unvaxxed people barred from? There are a handful of workplaces, and restaurants, bars, and gyms (which are now closed to everyone) where unvaxxed people were barred from.

That isn't "most" of society by any measure.

So I don't actually have an Ontario-compliant vaccine pass, but that hasn't actually mattered; the only vaccine-required places I've gone to were the climbing gym, until this week, and the University of Waterloo. (I did get my NZ-issued vaccine certificate scanned in Quebec and that worked on the Quebec app, back before Omicron and when I thought things were relatively safe). I think it's reasonably possible to not have a vaccine pass these days.

Quebec is now requiring vaccine passes to shop in person at the SAQ and the SQDB (cannabis). And then the daily first-dose rate went from 1,500 to 6,000. Coincidence?

That one is hard to say. Perhaps. Interestingly, if one is OK smoking pot (unless they're getting oils/edibles) and OK with drinking alcohol, they also should be OK with getting the vaccine, IMHO.

For those health-nut anti-vaxxers, likely they're not doing drugs or drinking alcohol, so it would be a moot point for some of those folks, especially the vegan ones.

Interesting too, preventing purchase of booze from the SAQ and pot from the SQDB won't prevent the anti-vax crowd from alternative places of purchase, like inconvenience stores and other shops that are allowed to sell alcohol and pot.
(01-09-2022, 01:06 PM)jeffster Wrote: That one is hard to say. Perhaps. Interestingly, if one is OK smoking pot (unless they're getting oils/edibles) and OK with drinking alcohol, they also should be OK with getting the vaccine, IMHO.

For those health-nut anti-vaxxers, likely they're not doing drugs or drinking alcohol, so it would be a moot point for some of those folks, especially the vegan ones.

My vegan friends (who do drink alcohol) are fully vaccinated. Smile

And while you can get beer and (a limited selection of) wine from a depanneur, you won't find nicer wines, liquers or whiskies etc there.

Interesting factoid, relevant to the question of what vaccine exemptions are legitimate:

https://www.axios.com/marines-discharged...271b1.html

“To date, approximately 3,247 requests for religious accommodations concerning the vaccine have been made by Marine Corps members. Zero requests have been approved, according to a Marine Corps communications officer.”

This is the approximate percentage of religious exemption requests I would have expected to be legitimate.

(although putting on my “parsing official statements very carefully” hat, I note that they didn’t say anything about how many requests have been rejected)
(01-09-2022, 05:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Interesting factoid, relevant to the question of what vaccine exemptions are legitimate:

“To date, approximately 3,247 requests for religious accommodations concerning the vaccine have been made by Marine Corps members. Zero requests have been approved, according to a Marine Corps communications officer.”

This is the approximate percentage of religious exemption requests I would have expected to be legitimate.

(although putting on my “parsing official statements very carefully” hat, I note that they didn’t say anything about how many requests have been rejected)

I have to wonder on what basis they are seeking for a religious exemption? The vaccines doesn't contain: blood and/or blood by-products/fractions, pork, fetus tissue, etc.

Strange that some ask for a religious exemption while serving war type operations.
(01-09-2022, 05:38 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-09-2022, 05:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Interesting factoid, relevant to the question of what vaccine exemptions are legitimate:

I have to wonder on what basis they are seeking for a religious exemption? The vaccines doesn't contain: blood and/or blood by-products/fractions, pork, fetus tissue, etc.

Strange that some ask for a religious exemption while serving war type operations.

Church of the grasping at straws?
(01-09-2022, 05:56 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-09-2022, 05:38 PM)jeffster Wrote: I have to wonder on what basis they are seeking for a religious exemption? The vaccines doesn't contain: blood and/or blood by-products/fractions, pork, fetus tissue, etc.

Church of the grasping at straws?

That's the only explanation.

I've heard that the University of Waterloo is also granting almost zero exemptions.
No surprise the US military is not really granting exemptions. Your first days in you're poked with a bakers dozen of a bakers dozen of vaccines and they sure as hell won't risk outbreaks of SARS-CoV-2 amongst military service members or on bases. Most military forces don't mess around when it comes to the health of servicemen and women.

(01-09-2022, 09:42 PM)ac3r Wrote: No surprise the US military is not really granting exemptions. Your first days in you're poked with a bakers dozen of a bakers dozen of vaccines and they sure as hell won't risk outbreaks of SARS-CoV-2 amongst military service members or on bases. Most military forces don't mess around when it comes to the health of servicemen and women.

I’ve read that when the Army tells you that you’re getting a vaccine, the proper response is “which arm?”.
(01-09-2022, 05:38 PM)jeffster Wrote: Strange that some ask for a religious exemption while serving war type operations.

Hey, for some of us violence is a sacrament! Don’t tread on me!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »