Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(01-22-2022, 08:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: I doubt most people even care anymore except the ones who are still living in fear about dying even though they probably have a greater chance of choking on a peanut than they do of dying from this.

Well, I am not living in fear. However, while Omicron is less severe, even now there is a significant chance of hospitalization or death. And on top of that, we are taking care of a 96-year-old family member, and we would really not pass on a COVID infection to that family member.

Laugh at me if you like, belittle me if you like, but the reality is that not everyone's situation is the same as yours.

(01-22-2022, 03:49 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Jeffster, I appreciate you posting these daily but I'm not sure what use these have at the moment since testing is highly restricted and if it wasn't there wouldn't be anywhere near the capacity to get something meaningful.

Is there anything that can be gleaned from case counts at this point?

It should still show trending, after the correction was done (that is, after testing methodology changed).

I expect to see that number continue to slide, but at some point, it will go back up. The boosters are only good for 3 months max.
(01-22-2022, 10:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 08:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: I doubt most people even care anymore except the ones who are still living in fear about dying even though they probably have a greater chance of choking on a peanut than they do of dying from this.

Well, I am not living in fear. However, while Omicron is less severe, even now there is a significant chance of hospitalization or death. And on top of that, we are taking care of a 96-year-old family member, and we would really not pass on a COVID infection to that family member.

Laugh at me if you like, belittle me if you like, but the reality is that not everyone's situation is the same as yours.

Those taking care of older loved ones (myself included) really need to use due diligence to ensure the safety of their family. That would include boosting high risk individuals, likely every 3 months, from what I understand.

But there are people out there, who aren't in that situation, that would prefer this lockdown continue indefinitely until we reach 'covid-zero'. These folks live in fear. There might be no reason for this -- but these folks are the exact opposite of the anti-vax, anti-lockdown, anti-mask, pro-freedom folks.

There is a middle ground that we should try to create. But so far, we're not seeing it. Not here in Ontario anyway.
(01-22-2022, 08:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: At this point, it's all "meh"...case numbers don't mean much anymore. The weather forecast has more impact on our lives than what is happening in regards to the pandemic. I doubt most people even care anymore except the ones who are still living in fear about dying even though they probably have a greater chance of choking on a peanut than they do of dying from this.

So tired of this ignorance. The pandemic is killing dozens of people every day, choking on peanuts isn't. And of course if you need a bed in the hospital, you might care, given that earlier GRH said they had a single open bed. 

People might be tired, they might not care, but this is absolutely having an impact on people's lives. There are still no non-urgent surgeries going on. Think about how you'd feel if you had a loved one dying of cancer who wouldn't get lifesaving surgery right now hearing you say this isn't affecting our lives.
(01-23-2022, 02:19 AM)jeffster Wrote: Those taking care of older loved ones (myself included) really need to use due diligence to ensure the safety of their family. That would include boosting high risk individuals, likely every 3 months, from what I understand.

But there are people out there, who aren't in that situation, that would prefer this lockdown continue indefinitely until we reach 'covid-zero'. These folks live in fear. There might be no reason for this -- but these folks are the exact opposite of the anti-vax, anti-lockdown, anti-mask, pro-freedom folks.

There is a middle ground that we should try to create. But so far, we're not seeing it. Not here in Ontario anyway.

This is what I mean. There are people living in fear who still want gyms closed, nightclubs, schools closed or unvaccinated children kicked out of the education system, denying health care to anti-vaxxers, mandatory vaccination programs, workplaces closed, retail closed unless it's curbside etc. In a recent poll, more than 2/3rds of Canadians want to see unvaccinated people rounded up and placed into Covid-19 prisons (seriously). It's just insane at this point. It is seemingly doing a lot of damage to the mental health of people because people can get very aggressive when you admit you don't care much anymore.

I'm not ignorant nor trying to belittle those who care for certain individuals or who may be at risk themselves nor downplay the severity of the pandemic. I know it's serious - up to 22 million people have died when taking into account excess death tolls, but even just using the official tolls, this is still the 5th deadliest pandemic we've had. I myself would possibly be at risk due to certain health complications (asthma, previous smoker, Indigenous etc). But for me personally, after 2 years of this I've learned to balance risk versus reward. I'd rather take a chance and return to living life than hiding inside waiting for the day the WHO tells me it's safe to go lick doorknobs, because I know that's not going to happen. Life is far too short for me to continue worrying each day about case numbers and everything else. I'll do my due diligence by vaccinating and wearing a mask where I am obligated to but that's all I can do.

Like Spike Spiegel said: Oh well...whatever happens, happens. If wanting to live life makes me selfish and ignorant, then people can believe that. But my opinions aren't the same as anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, anti-lockdowners and all those freaks. I still act safe in public around strangers who I don't know, but there is only so much I can do for others. Me flying or going to a nightclub on a Friday night, sitting in a bar or eating in a restaurant isn't killing anyone because I don't have Covid-19 and everyone in these places is vaccinated anyways. This is as safe as it's going to get until the pandemic finally fizzles out.
Canada 'may' have passed peak of Omicron wave, says top doctor: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-...-1.6323057
Current 7-day Covid-19 Cases per 100k

• Lambton Public Health 455.1
• Chatham-Kent Public Health 449.6
• Peel Public Health 435.2
• Halton Region Public Health 425.6
• Windsor-Essex County Health Unit 411.0
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 406.1
• Public Health Sudbury & Districts 393.9
• Eastern Ontario Health Unit 384.7

• Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 384.5

• Brant County Health Unit 359.5
• Northwestern Health Unit 354.7
• Niagara Region Public Health 344.1
• Durham Region Health Department 342.8
• Thunder Bay District Health Unit 342.1
• Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit 341.9
• Algoma Public Health 335.6
• Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit 331.3
• Middlesex-London Health Unit 321.6
• York Region Public Health 310.3
• Toronto Public Health 291.7
• Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health 280.9
• Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit 262.5
• Porcupine Health Unit 256.5
• Southwestern Public Health 254.4
• Ottawa Public Health 236.1
• Peterborough Public Health 216.9
• Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit 214.8
• North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit 211.2
• Renfrew County and District Health Unit 205.3
• Huron Perth Public Health 200.3

• Hastings Prince Edward Public Health 182.2
• Timiskaming Health Unit 174.4
• Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington Public Health 173.0
• Grey Bruce Health Unit 165.4

• TOTAL ONTARIO 326.8

(01-23-2022, 11:53 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 02:19 AM)jeffster Wrote: Those taking care of older loved ones (myself included) really need to use due diligence to ensure the safety of their family. That would include boosting high risk individuals, likely every 3 months, from what I understand.

This is what I mean. There are people living in fear who still want gyms closed, nightclubs, schools closed or unvaccinated children kicked out of the education system, denying health care to anti-vaxxers, mandatory vaccination programs, workplaces closed, retail closed unless it's curbside etc. In a recent poll, more than 2/3rds of Canadians want to see unvaccinated people rounded up and placed into Covid-19 prisons (seriously). It's just insane at this point. It is seemingly doing a lot of damage to the mental health of people because people can get very aggressive when you admit you don't care much anymore.

I'm not ignorant nor trying to belittle those who care for certain individuals or who may be at risk themselves nor downplay the severity of the pandemic. I know it's serious - up to 22 million people have died when taking into account excess death tolls, but even just using the official tolls, this is still the 5th deadliest pandemic we've had. I myself would possibly be at risk due to certain health complications (asthma, previous smoker, Indigenous etc). But for me personally, after 2 years of this I've learned to balance risk versus reward. I'd rather take a chance and return to living life than hiding inside waiting for the day the WHO tells me it's safe to go lick doorknobs, because I know that's not going to happen. Life is far too short for me to continue worrying each day about case numbers and everything else. I'll do my due diligence by vaccinating and wearing a mask where I am obligated to but that's all I can do.

Like Spike Spiegel said: Oh well...whatever happens, happens. If wanting to live life makes me selfish and ignorant, then people can believe that. But my opinions aren't the same as anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, anti-lockdowners and all those freaks. I still act safe in public around strangers who I don't know, but there is only so much I can do for others. Me flying or going to a nightclub on a Friday night, sitting in a bar or eating in a restaurant isn't killing anyone because I don't have Covid-19 and everyone in these places is vaccinated anyways. This is as safe as it's going to get until the pandemic finally fizzles out.
I totally agree.  The average daily death rate in Ontario alone is 310 people per day.  This is continuly rising each year, not because of covid, because of aging population.  You can't stop death. Covid has not spiked up mortality rate off the charts.  If it isnt covide, it will be influenza, pneumonia, suicide, accidents, cancer, heart attack...this will not change, get out and live life!!!
(01-23-2022, 06:15 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 11:53 AM)ac3r Wrote: This is what I mean. There are people living in fear who still want gyms closed, nightclubs, schools closed or unvaccinated children kicked out of the education system, denying health care to anti-vaxxers, mandatory vaccination programs, workplaces closed, retail closed unless it's curbside etc. In a recent poll, more than 2/3rds of Canadians want to see unvaccinated people rounded up and placed into Covid-19 prisons (seriously). It's just insane at this point. It is seemingly doing a lot of damage to the mental health of people because people can get very aggressive when you admit you don't care much anymore.

I totally agree.  The average daily death rate in Ontario alone is 310 people per day.  This is continuly rising each year, not because of covid, because of aging population.  You can't stop death. Covid has not spiked up mortality rate off the charts.  If it isnt covide, it will be influenza, pneumonia, suicide, accidents, cancer, heart attack...this will not change, get out and live life!!!

Why bother getting treatment for cancer, why bother wearing seatbelts, why bother doing anything to limit your risk of dying, since gonna die sometime...

You wouldn't be saying this if you had loved ones whose lives were being needlessly cut short by preventable diseases.
I don't think that's the point they were trying to make...

Everyone on this planet knows someone dying for one reason or another. I've lost close family and friends to cancer, heart disease, mental health resulting in suicide, friends to drug addiction resulting in overdoses, from war etc. It's awful, but that's life. Everyone dies. We all know we could begin to suffer from a certain disease or sudden death etc.

That - at least for me - is all the more reason to live the life you've got to its fullest while you can do so, because it could be indeed be cut short due to cancer, Covid-19, a car accident etc at any moment. Life has risks. I'd rather live life in the now in the healthiest way possible, knowing that there's risks, but live it nonetheless - rather than naively hide away waiting for the day there's no danger.

It's beyond my control now, so I no longer care that much. Shrug. SARS-CoV-2 isn't going anywhere, but my time on Earth is.
(01-23-2022, 06:15 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I totally agree.  The average daily death rate in Ontario alone is 310 people per day.  This is continuly rising each year, not because of covid, because of aging population.  You can't stop death. Covid has not spiked up mortality rate off the charts.  If it isnt covide, it will be influenza, pneumonia, suicide, accidents, cancer, heart attack...this will not change, get out and live life!!!

I absolutely reject that. The excess deaths for Ontario for March 2020 to July 2021 was 19,000. The mortality rate in a place is usually quite stable (and, due to public health and medicine in general, people have indeed been living longer and healthier lives than 50 years ago). COVID has in fact caused the excess deaths number to spike. That number is about an extra 36 preventable deaths per day over the pandemic.

Look, I think that by working together we can in fact improve things and prevent unnecessary deaths. Maybe someone doesn't die of COVID now but instead of something else in 10 years. I think their loved ones would appreciate the extra 10 years.

Am I going to go eat in restaurant right now, just after Omicron has peaked (and who knows how much we'll stay at this high level due to kids being in schools)? Hell no. There's just no reason to do that. At some point I'll go to restaurants again, but I really don't need to do that right now.
(01-23-2022, 07:37 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 06:15 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I totally agree.  The average daily death rate in Ontario alone is 310 people per day.  This is continuly rising each year, not because of covid, because of aging population.  You can't stop death. Covid has not spiked up mortality rate off the charts.  If it isnt covide, it will be influenza, pneumonia, suicide, accidents, cancer, heart attack...this will not change, get out and live life!!!

I absolutely reject that. The excess deaths for Ontario for March 2020 to July 2021 was 19,000. The mortality rate in a place is usually quite stable (and, due to public health and medicine in general, people have indeed been living longer and healthier lives than 50 years ago). COVID has in fact caused the excess deaths number to spike. That number is about an extra 36 preventable deaths per day over the pandemic.

Look, I think that by working together we can in fact improve things and prevent unnecessary deaths. Maybe someone doesn't die of COVID now but instead of something else in 10 years. I think their loved ones would appreciate the extra 10 years.

Am I going to go eat in restaurant right now, just after Omicron has peaked (and who knows how much we'll stay at this high level due to kids being in schools)? Hell no. There's just no reason to do that. At some point I'll go to restaurants again, but I really don't need to do that right now.

I reject your claim as well - Is it reasonable to extend the lives of some after 2 years of pandemic and rob future generations in the process? I believe that there is a point where the harm from the lockdown outweighs the harm of the virus and I think Omicron is that point specifically.
(01-23-2022, 07:43 PM)bravado Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 07:37 PM)plam Wrote: I absolutely reject that. The excess deaths for Ontario for March 2020 to July 2021 was 19,000. The mortality rate in a place is usually quite stable (and, due to public health and medicine in general, people have indeed been living longer and healthier lives than 50 years ago). COVID has in fact caused the excess deaths number to spike. That number is about an extra 36 preventable deaths per day over the pandemic.

I reject your claim as well - Is it reasonable to extend the lives of some after 2 years of pandemic and rob future generations in the process? I believe that there is a point where the harm from the lockdown outweighs the harm of the virus and I think Omicron is that point specifically.

Just to be clear, we do not, and have never had a lockdown.

But we aren't even talking about lockdowns. There are hundreds of policies we can use to reduce and limit the spread of COVID and we are using very few of them.

That being said, no right now, if ever is the time to do a lockdown. Our hospitals are in a precarious situation. There is a good chance that if you walked out your door, and a drunk driver ran you over, you wouldn't be able to get a bed in a the region's hospitals.

Why does anyone everyone think this is okay?

And as for "robbing future generations" I think saddling our children with the long term health effects of long COVID absolutely qualify for that.

Waterloo is at it again

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-..._web_ymbii

I guess Kitchener's happy about their slow progress with re-opening their square, otherwise this embarrassment would have been in Kitchener.
Can you imagine having a heart attack, and calling 911, and being told, that no ambulance is available...you could wait half an hour?

How much does a half hour delay affect survivability in case of a heart attack?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.6322717

Why is this acceptable to people?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »