Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The UW anchor wall tiles are so drab. Instead of going with the colours of the boring engineering buildings, they should have gone black and gold/yellow, UW's school colours. The contrast would've brightened up a relatively hideous (aside from Eng V) part of campus.

I actually had to go look at the pictures of the Willis anchor wall to see if they were the same and to see the final design render to see if it was a mistake. Even if it is modest looking, it still looks like quality work.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(From http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...mittee.pdf)

No one will care how they had to change a few of the colours a bit when they see the illuminated ion logo begin to glow and pulse when a train approaches Big Grin

I am just still praying they'll used mixed-case tight-kern Helvetica for the station names on the anchor walls, and not some godawful stretched-out all-caps garbage.
(11-01-2016, 10:26 PM)Canard Wrote: I am just still praying they'll used mixed-case tight-kern Helvetica for the station names on the anchor walls, and not some godawful stretched-out all-caps garbage.

Like this?  Wink

[Image: -london-underground-station-sign-stefano-baldini.jpg]
Or this? 

[Image: Eglinton_TTC_glass_tile_reflections.JPG]
those OMSF pictures always remind me of HAARP, at least until they run the cables through.
(11-01-2016, 10:26 PM)Canard Wrote: (From http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...mittee.pdf)

No one will care how they had to change a few of the colours a bit when they see the illuminated ion logo begin to glow and pulse when a train approaches Big Grin

I am just still praying they'll used mixed-case tight-kern Helvetica for the station names on the anchor walls, and not some godawful stretched-out all-caps garbage.

How come they didn't get rid of the hills and flatten it like seen in the render?

I never noticed that there is an iXpress stop on the east side of the ion platform in that render (between the anchor wall and train).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Phew; station font is mixed-case Clearview Highway; acceptable!

[Image: 2000px-Clearview_font.svg.png]
Embedded track is exposed from HSBC down to Willis Way in Uptown.

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-04-2016, 03:57 PM)Markster Wrote: No, I'm talking about this:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2454]

Straighten out that thing to match what any normal person is going to actually walk.

I was in the area today, and it looks like this is happening. The pedestrian crossing button and bumps are both on that side of the post, although the paint on the road hasn't been changed.
Yeah I noticed that on my bike ride yesterday while walking it through the intersection. I thought "...oh, this doesn't line up".
While we're on this topic, does anyone know why they don't paint lines on the concrete, only on the asphalt?  I can't imagine the lines would affect LRT operation.  Northbound on King at Allen, there are dashed lines to help the traffic move from the right side of the tracks to the left side, but there's a big gap on the concrete and tracks themselves which could confuse drivers.

I don't know; I hope they will, like they did in Australia for G:Link.

My guess is they will do that when they do the final top layer of asphalt. They probably only want to mark the concrete once, because it's permanent. The asphalt is easily removed/replaced.
(11-02-2016, 02:19 PM)timc Wrote: I was in the area today, and it looks like this is happening. The pedestrian crossing button and bumps are both on that side of the post, although the paint on the road hasn't been changed.

I take it that only the paint is changing, not the pedestrian island?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »