Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
Cool shot!

Charlie, Clock Tower (old city hall) and City Hall, Berlin Tower. Speaks to the history of Kitchener.
Speaking of the clock tower, I was in Toronto last week and found this for the first time neat St. Lawrence Market....

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6493983,...384!8i8192

Who knew?

Coke
You mean the clocktower on St Lawrence Hall? It has been there for quite some time ...
It looks identical!
Haha good catch. Toronto copied Kitchener Wink
St. Lawrence Hall was designed by William Thomas in 1850. The City Hall that our clock tower came from was designed by William Schmalz and Bernal Jones some time around 1924 when it was built. Both are in the Renaissance Revival style, and if you google "renaissance revival clock tower" you'll see there are many examples that are common.

I have no problems with jokes about Toronto copying us and this is only very slightly a response to that. Primarily, I figure some specifics are of interest to the group.

(08-04-2020, 12:32 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: St. Lawrence Hall was designed by William Thomas in 1850. The City Hall that our clock tower came from was designed by William Schmalz and Bernal Jones some time around 1924 when it was built. Both are in the Renaissance Revival style, and if you google "renaissance revival clock tower" you'll see there are many examples that are common.
I did that and there were very few that resemble Kitchener's clock tower. Most seem to be square or are round without columns.
Schmalz would have been familiar with the clocktower of St Lawrence Hall...
I still stand that Toronto copied Kitchener. The chronology and era be damned!

On another note I was just downtown tonight, pointed out Charlie West to a couple people I was with. It looks great...grabbed some food and ate it on the picnic benches on Ontario at King. It was great - I didn't even have to watch a reality T.V. show and Got tons of free entertainment. Even some 18+ content in nude. No word of a lie.

What a lively group downtown!

/s
(08-04-2020, 09:50 PM)Momo26 Wrote: I still stand that Toronto copied Kitchener. The chronology and era be damned!

On another note I was just downtown tonight, pointed out Charlie West to a couple people I was with. It looks great...grabbed some food and ate it on the picnic benches on Ontario at King. It was great - I didn't even have to watch a reality T.V. show and Got tons of free entertainment. Even some 18+ content in nude. No word of a lie.

What a lively group downtown!

/s

Did you see Shamari at all? Dreamcatcher lady? Kurt Cobain? Those are some of the more entertaining ones.
Don't know if it was one of them tbh haha. Man they all have titles eh?
(08-05-2020, 03:02 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Don't know if it was one of them tbh haha. Man they all have titles eh?

Some of them are more well known than other. Shamari is fairly well known though, as is Dreamcatcher. Shamari though is one person you don't want to mess with.

Dreamcatcher the gentle young native looking guy? Basing this off name here. What does Shamari look like?
I believe Shamari is the drum guy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »