Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(10-03-2020, 08:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 03:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: 52 of Ottawa’s 97 cases were people under age 30.
Family gatherings next week could send things spinning out of control, I fear.

I saw somewhere (where?) that while our second wave started with mostly under-40s, the balance was now shifting and there were relatively more older people.

If I could only remember where I read that ...

I read that too, but I don't recall it actually where I read that. To be honest, I think it was mentioned by someone but no link.

(09-30-2020, 06:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I really don't agree. I am not saying anything illegal is going on, but our leaders should be held to a higher standard, they should be demonstrating safe behaviour, and going out to Oktoberfest and doing shotskiis is not that.

More, I don't even think there should be Oktoberfest in this form at all. I am not visiting my family during Thanksgiving in order to be safe, because the public health recommends you avoid close contact with people outside your bubble. Public health and city council have attempted to stop any homecoming celebrations. But Octoberfestors are out drinking and carrying on--I find that in very bad form, and bad taste, but for a key elected official, terrible.

We can agree to disagree.  Oktoberfester's are not out "drinking and carrying on".  If you attended any of the events you would see how the micro-festhallen are taking the rules seriously.  People are not dancing, they are not getting drunk.  They are not visiting other tables.  The staff at the restaurants I have been to have been VERY strict and vigilant on the public health rules.

Oktoberfest as it operated in the past isn't happening now.  They are having "Oktoberfest" theme's in a restaurant setting.  It does include the traditional German clubs (who are operating solely in their restaurant capacity), as well as local restaurants who are "micro-festhallen" (Morty's, Rustico, Malt & Barley, Belmont Village, Crazy Canucks, Frannie's Restaurant, among others) who serve an Oktoberfest style menu.  KW Oktoberfest is an umbrella who organizes events over local halls.... each hall operates independently.

As for the Regional Chairs post, the picture of those w/o masks were seated at the same table, and are part of the same family unit.  I wasn't aware that Karen Redmond was IN the photo of the shotski.. if she wasn't, then her only crime is being a photographer.

If you are not visiting family for Thanksgiving, I applaud your choice.  One half of my family is too large, and we will also be scrapping that dinner this year.  The other half, we will get together safely.  But before we all jump on "Oktoberfest" as Bad form / Bad taste, I hope we all collectively demand the shutdown of every restaurant... because this Oktoberfest, that is all they really are.

Coke

EDIT : In regards to homecoming.... if they want have local restaurants use the term "Homecoming" to bring in customers so that they can survive while following the rules rather than a giant crowding of people, then I'd say that's fine... and that's what Oktoberfest has done.
MONDAY 2020-10-05

Waterloo Region reported nine new cases for today (7.1% of the active cases) -- but with eight additional cases for yesterday (now 15 cases total, 11.1% of actives).  89 new cases for the week (+5), averaging 8.5% of active cases. 127 active cases (-35 in the last seven days).

Next testing report on Tuesday.

Ontario reported 615 new cases today with a seven-day average of 612 -- the first drop in that average for a while. 541 recoveries and five deaths translated to a increase of 69 active cases and a current total of 5,474. A weekly total change of +1,025 active cases (net). 38,196 tests for a 1.61% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 1.55% for the past seven days.

ICU patient count was up to 43 (+2).
  • 289 cases in Toronto: 9.0 per 100K population
  • 88 cases in Peel: 8.8 per 100K
  • 81 cases in Ottawa: 8.1 per 100K
  • 47 cases in York: 4.3 per 100K
  • 26 cases in Halton: 4.2 per 100K
  • 15 cases in Waterloo: 2.3 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
(10-05-2020, 01:22 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 06:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I really don't agree. I am not saying anything illegal is going on, but our leaders should be held to a higher standard, they should be demonstrating safe behaviour, and going out to Oktoberfest and doing shotskiis is not that.

More, I don't even think there should be Oktoberfest in this form at all. I am not visiting my family during Thanksgiving in order to be safe, because the public health recommends you avoid close contact with people outside your bubble. Public health and city council have attempted to stop any homecoming celebrations. But Octoberfestors are out drinking and carrying on--I find that in very bad form, and bad taste, but for a key elected official, terrible.

We can agree to disagree.  Oktoberfester's are not out "drinking and carrying on".  If you attended any of the events you would see how the micro-festhallen are taking the rules seriously.  People are not dancing, they are not getting drunk.  They are not visiting other tables.  The staff at the restaurants I have been to have been VERY strict and vigilant on the public health rules.

Oktoberfest as it operated in the past isn't happening now.  They are having "Oktoberfest" theme's in a restaurant setting.  It does include the traditional German clubs (who are operating solely in their restaurant capacity), as well as local restaurants who are "micro-festhallen" (Morty's, Rustico, Malt & Barley, Belmont Village, Crazy Canucks, Frannie's Restaurant, among others) who serve an Oktoberfest style menu.  KW Oktoberfest is an umbrella who organizes events over local halls.... each hall operates independently.

As for the Regional Chairs post, the picture of those w/o masks were seated at the same table, and are part of the same family unit.  I wasn't aware that Karen Redmond was IN the photo of the shotski.. if she wasn't, then her only crime is being a photographer.

If you are not visiting family for Thanksgiving, I applaud your choice.  One half of my family is too large, and we will also be scrapping that dinner this year.  The other half, we will get together safely.  But before we all jump on "Oktoberfest" as Bad form / Bad taste, I hope we all collectively demand the shutdown of every restaurant... because this Oktoberfest, that is all they really are.

Coke

EDIT : In regards to homecoming.... if they want have local restaurants use the term "Homecoming" to bring in customers so that they can survive while following the rules rather than a giant crowding of people, then I'd say that's fine... and that's what Oktoberfest has done.

She did not *just* take the picture...she used her social media platform to promote the picture as a good idea.

You'll note I've been very clear about my position on restaurants, indoor spaces should have been shut down weeks ago.

Our public health agencies have reiterated their belief that we should be avoiding unnecessary contact with others, I believe restaurants and events like this clearly qualify.

I'm curious though, do you disagree that our leaders should not only model legal behaviour, but good behaviour? Or do you disagree that beyond something being illegal, all behaviour is equal?
(10-05-2020, 02:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: She did not *just* take the picture...she used her social media platform to promote the picture as a good idea.

You'll note I've been very clear about my position on restaurants, indoor spaces should have been shut down weeks ago.

Our public health agencies have reiterated their belief that we should be avoiding unnecessary contact with others, I believe restaurants and events like this clearly qualify.

I'm curious though, do you disagree that our leaders should not only model legal behaviour, but good behaviour? Or do you disagree that beyond something being illegal, all behaviour is equal?

Again, I'm not going to try to change your mind... and that's fine, but you asked a question, and I'll answer.

I think our leaders should model legal AND good behaviour. The Oktoberfest festival brings millions into our local economy. There are many offshoots of this festival that benefit other local businesses financially. If they did nothing this year, the chance of starting up again next year would be much harder, if at all. So they are working within the public health guidelines to run restaurants under their banner, with a small Oktoberfest twist. Our chair, who was promoting this "event" as it is beneficial for the community as a whole, even if you don't like it.

I was there. You weren't. Saying that, I'd be VERY surprised if there was a COVID transmission during any Oktoberfest event. The rules are enforced strictly. The shotski patrons were all in the same bubble. The photographed family were all in the same bubble. The optics of the shotski I agree look bad without context, and she should of thought of that... but I have zero concerns about how restaurants are operating currently... as long as they are complying with the rules.

Coke
(10-06-2020, 10:09 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Again, I'm not going to try to change your mind... and that's fine, but you asked a question, and I'll answer.

I think our leaders should model legal AND good behaviour.  The Oktoberfest festival brings millions into our local economy.  There are many offshoots of this festival that benefit other local businesses financially.  If they did nothing this year, the chance of starting up again next year would be much harder, if at all.  So they are working within the public health guidelines to run restaurants under their banner, with a small Oktoberfest twist.  Our chair, who was promoting this "event" as it is beneficial for the community as a whole, even if you don't like it.

I was there.  You weren't.  Saying that, I'd be VERY surprised if there was a COVID transmission during any Oktoberfest event.  The rules are enforced strictly.  The shotski patrons were all in the same bubble.  The photographed family were all in the same bubble.  The optics of the shotski I agree look bad without context, and she should of thought of that... but I have zero concerns about how restaurants are operating currently... as long as they are complying with the rules.

Coke

I think the issue is mostly that Karen Redman is a public leader for this city and should be projecting a better message than "it's Oktoberfest, hit the beer tents everyone!" in the middle of a pandemic. Sure, the festival venues are doing their best to adhere to the public health rules, but they can't be expected to protect us from others - especially drunk people at a party. I think we all have a hard enough time walking through Zehrs without people getting too close at times, but we're supposed to accept that it's okay to sit around indoors without masks with a couple dozen people while everyone shouts really loudly, eats and drinks.

It just comes off as being irresponsible for a politician to pull a political photo stunt to generate business when case numbers are rising incredibly fast throughout the province and within our own city. We are really struggling to send a coherent message to the residents of this province on what we're supposed to be doing about these rising case numbers. We're being told to reconsider Thanksgiving dinner with our own families, but that it's fine to get drunk indoors with complete strangers.

You raise the issue about social bubbles, but it's important to note that health officials in Toronto and elsewhere are now saying that it's time we annul that idea for now because the level of transmission is growing so rapidly. This is definitely not the time to be holding an Oktoberfest...we've been watching things get worse and worse for weeks.
TUESDAY 2020-10-06

Waterloo Region reported 12 new cases for today (9.3% of the active cases) -- but with six additional cases for yesterday (now 15 cases total, 11.2% of actives).  103 new cases for the week (+14), averaging 10.0% of active cases. 129 active cases (-26 in the last seven days).

An average of 1,344 tests for the past seven days for a positivity rate of 1.09%.

Ontario reported 548 new cases today with a seven-day average of 611, down by one. 546 recoveries and nine deaths (the most in quite a while) translated to a drop of five active cases, the first such a drop in about seven weeks, and a current total of 5,469. A weekly total change of +793 active cases (net). 42,031 tests for a 1.30% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 1.53% for the past seven days.

ICU patient count was back down to 41 (-2) but the total hospital population was up to 192, now at late-June levels.
  • 201 cases in Toronto: 6.3 per 100K population
  • 90 cases in Peel: 9.0 per 100K
  • 62 cases in Ottawa: 6.2 per 100K
  • 56 cases in York: 5.1 per 100K
  • 30 cases in Halton: 5.0 per 100K
  • 21 cases in Waterloo: 3.4 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)

(10-06-2020, 10:34 AM)ac3r Wrote: I think the issue is mostly that Karen Redman is a public leader for this city and should be projecting a better message than "it's Oktoberfest, hit the beer tents everyone!" in the middle of a pandemic. Sure, the festival venues are doing their best to adhere to the public health rules, but they can't be expected to protect us from others - especially drunk people at a party. I think we all have a hard enough time walking through Zehrs without people getting too close at times, but we're supposed to accept that it's okay to sit around indoors without masks with a couple dozen people while everyone shouts really loudly, eats and drinks.

It just comes off as being irresponsible for a politician to pull a political photo stunt to generate business when case numbers are rising incredibly fast throughout the province and within our own city. We are really struggling to send a coherent message to the residents of this province on what we're supposed to be doing about these rising case numbers. We're being told to reconsider Thanksgiving dinner with our own families, but that it's fine to get drunk indoors with complete strangers.

You raise the issue about social bubbles, but it's important to note that health officials in Toronto and elsewhere are now saying that it's time we annul that idea for now because the level of transmission is growing so rapidly. This is definitely not the time to be holding an Oktoberfest...we've been watching things get worse and worse for weeks.

1 - People are not drunk.
2 - There was no shouting / singing.
3 - There are not a "couple of dozen" sitting around without masks. Table max was 6. Tables were more than 2m apart. Only those from the same household were allowed to sit at the same table.
4 - If anyone was standing away from the table, they were quickly moved back. There was no inter-table mingling.

I get @danbrotherston is against restaurants in general during this time, and I respect his right to feel that way. Not sure your thoughts on them, but these events are the same as every other restaurant, and in fact, are much safer than the nightclubs that opened for a short period.

Coke
It seems to me by limiting testing to appointments only, the government is trying to obfuscate the actual backlog in testing. All centres in Waterloo Region, for example, only accept appointments for the same day and then stop accepting appointments once the limit is reached. How many people are trying to get tested, then? It's pretty much impossible to know with any certainty.

There are some datapoints, though. I checked Halton Region, and they are accepting appointments into the future, and right now the earliest available appointment is a week away (that may have become even greater since I last checked). That's pretty dire if true.
That is true...I do wish they were prioritizing testing in some way though...
WEDNESDAY 2020-10-07

Waterloo Region reported eight new cases for today (6.1% of the active cases) -- but with four additional cases for yesterday (now 16 cases total, 11.9% of actives).  105 new cases for the week (+2), averaging 10.3% of active cases. 131 active cases (-23 in the last seven days).

Next testing report on Friday.

Ontario reported 583 new cases today with a seven-day average of 605 (-6). 707 recoveries and one death translated to a drop of 125 active cases, and a current total of 5,344. A weekly total change of +504 active cases (net). 43,277 tests for a 1.35% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 1.47% for the past seven days.

ICU patient count was back up to 43 (+2) and the total hospital population was up to 195.
  • 173 cases in Toronto: 5.6 per 100K population
  • 121 cases in Ottawa: 12.1 per 100K
  • 70 cases in Peel: 7.0 per 100K
  • 56 cases in York: 5.1 per 100K
  • 25 cases in Hamilton
  • 23 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka
  • 17 cases in Waterloo: 2.8 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)

panamaniac, what's going on in Ottawa?
(10-07-2020, 08:24 AM)jamincan Wrote: It seems to me by limiting testing to appointments only, the government is trying to obfuscate the actual backlog in testing. All centres in Waterloo Region, for example, only accept appointments for the same day and then stop accepting appointments once the limit is reached. How many people are trying to get tested, then? It's pretty much impossible to know with any certainty.

There are some datapoints, though. I checked Halton Region, and they are accepting appointments into the future, and right now the earliest available appointment is a week away (that may have become even greater since I last checked). That's pretty dire if true.

Appointments are better than waiting in line. Waiting in line is just a pointless waste of time. The one thing I will say for it is that the people who get tested are the ones who feel it’s important enough to wait in line, rather than the ones who click the button before everybody else does.

Either way, it’s clear a massive expansion of testing capacity is needed. It should be more or less on demand; and they should be tracking the extent to which people aren’t able to get tested.
(10-07-2020, 12:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 08:24 AM)jamincan Wrote: It seems to me by limiting testing to appointments only, the government is trying to obfuscate the actual backlog in testing. All centres in Waterloo Region, for example, only accept appointments for the same day and then stop accepting appointments once the limit is reached. How many people are trying to get tested, then? It's pretty much impossible to know with any certainty.

Appointments are better than waiting in line. Waiting in line is just a pointless waste of time. The one thing I will say for it is that the people who get tested are the ones who feel it’s important enough to wait in line, rather than the ones who click the button before everybody else does.

Either way, it’s clear a massive expansion of testing capacity is needed. It should be more or less on demand; and they should be tracking the extent to which people aren’t able to get tested.
I'm not disagreeing that appointment is better than waiting in line, but there is a side-effect to this, and I fear it will be at the expense of government accountability. You can't hold someone to account for a problem you don't know about.

(10-07-2020, 12:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Appointments are better than waiting in line. Waiting in line is just a pointless waste of time. The one thing I will say for it is that the people who get tested are the ones who feel it’s important enough to wait in line, rather than the ones who click the button before everybody else does.

I don't disagree about the need for more testing capacity. But, that in itself would not help bring the situation under control. We are still averaging only about 1% positivity in the region, so the virus is unlikely to be massively rampant among untested people (the positivity was far higher in the spring).

What I would rather invest in, right now, would be a big expansion of the tracking and tracing capability, as that can help bring this thing under control.
(10-07-2020, 03:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 12:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Appointments are better than waiting in line. Waiting in line is just a pointless waste of time. The one thing I will say for it is that the people who get tested are the ones who feel it’s important enough to wait in line, rather than the ones who click the button before everybody else does.

I don't disagree about the need for more testing capacity. But, that in itself would not help bring the situation under control. We are still averaging only about 1% positivity in the region, so the virus is unlikely to be massively rampant among untested people (the positivity was far higher in the spring).

What I would rather invest in, right now, would be a big expansion of the tracking and tracing capability, as that can help bring this thing under control.

Yup. Testing is only one part of a complete breakfast. Tracing and isolating is also needed to avoid lockdowns.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »