Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
This could get posted in the highway 7 thread as well.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...rains.html

Not even remotely surprised, and folks, I told you so.

(02-23-2022, 02:54 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: This could get posted in the highway 7 thread as well.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...rains.html

I just want to see the access roads that are supposed to go under the railway line. We don’t need the main part of the highway itself.
Meanwhile, the core part of the GO network that's getting all the electrification and high-frequency upgrades, now has a selected bidder. It's a consortium that includes Alstom (who now owns Bombardier but also has their own train designs to call on) and Deutsche Bahn (who can call on extensive knowledge of network and signals design).
But still no work being announced for the Bramalea→Georgetown bottleneck that prevents #2WADGO to Kitchener. :-(
(02-24-2022, 01:47 PM)Bytor Wrote: But still no work being announced for the Bramalea→Georgetown bottleneck that prevents #2WADGO to Kitchener. :-(

(02-23-2022, 02:54 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: ...

Honestly, this is a hard problem...why would a government which isn't interested in governing and has proven itself incompetent at governing try to solve it? They aren't interested in making hard choices...they're interested in pleasing their donors, and pandering to keep themselves in power just long enough to tear shit down so other parties will spend all their time repairing the damage.
(02-24-2022, 01:47 PM)Bytor Wrote: But still no work being announced for the Bramalea→Georgetown bottleneck that prevents #2WADGO to Kitchener. :-(

I'd have to imagine that this stretch has been included in the DB consortium proposal. It's a shame that the province/GO hasn't been able to address it themselves, but I have hope that when the reigns are handed over to the new operators, they'll make quick work of this.
(02-24-2022, 06:43 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:

I'd have to imagine that this stretch has been included in the DB consortium proposal. It's a shame that the province/GO hasn't been able to address it themselves, but I have hope that when the reigns reins are handed over to the new operators, they'll make quick work of this.

Fixed that for you. Smile

(02-25-2022, 11:08 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 06:43 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: I'd have to imagine that this stretch has been included in the DB consortium proposal. It's a shame that the province/GO hasn't been able to address it themselves, but I have hope that when the reigns reins are handed over to the new operators, they'll make quick work of this.

Fixed that for you. Smile

I dunno...I think the original one might have been closer.  😂
(02-25-2022, 11:15 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 11:08 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Fixed that for you. Smile

I dunno...I think the original one might have been closer.  😂

I recommend the Language Tool extension to catch things like this. I wish that more people would use it. There is an atrocious amount of misspellings on social media, especially the mixing up of homonyms.
(02-25-2022, 05:11 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 11:15 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I dunno...I think the original one might have been closer.  😂

I recommend the Language Tool extension to catch things like this. I wish that more people would use it. There is an atrocious amount of misspellings on social media, especially the mixing up of homonyms.

I'm sure swiping to type on phones doesn't help.
(02-24-2022, 06:43 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:

I'd have to imagine that this stretch has been included in the DB consortium proposal. It's a shame that the province/GO hasn't been able to address it themselves, but I have hope that when the reigns are handed over to the new operators, they'll make quick work of this.

New operators wont do it, though, because it's not really an operations issue.

There are not enough tracks to allow hourly all day long passenger trains through that section of tracks.

Almost 4 years ago the PCs say that they were cancelling the Missing Link and would instead be negotiating with CN to build extra tracks at Metrolinx's expense in CN's right of way. There have been no announcements on that since.
(02-25-2022, 08:39 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 06:43 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: I'd have to imagine that this stretch has been included in the DB consortium proposal. It's a shame that the province/GO hasn't been able to address it themselves, but I have hope that when the reigns are handed over to the new operators, they'll make quick work of this.

New operators wont do it, though, because it's not really an operations issue.

There are not enough tracks to allow hourly all day long passenger trains through that section of tracks.

Almost 4 years ago the PCs say that they were cancelling the Missing Link and would instead be negotiating with CN to build extra tracks at Metrolinx's expense in CN's right of way. There have been no announcements on that since.

Has it really been 4 years that I've been saying that 2WAD GO was a mirage that they never intended to deliver....wow time flies when you're being cynical.
Ontario Cutting the Cost of Taking Transit: https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/10016...ng-transit

I can understand how this might work for incoming GO Trips with a fareless transfer from the GO vehicle onto a nearby GRT vehicle. How would this work for someone boarding a GRT vehicle heading to the station (or for that matter, one or two transfers away in the case of a trip that includes the bus and LRT?). Would the GRT fare simply be deducted from the price of the GO ticket?
My understanding is you just show your Presto card and they let you board. For multi-bus trips to get to the station, I'm assuming they'd give you a transfer?

My cynical view on this is that I could just board any bus with my Presto card and get free transit anywhere in the region. I'm hoping they have safeguards to keep people from doing this, but it's hard when you're not on a route that directly connects to the GO station.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »