Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
459 Mill St | 15, 21, 31, 40 and 44 fl | Proposed
(02-20-2023, 01:30 PM)Acitta Wrote: The PARTS Rockaway Plan shows high density development around Mill Station, so I don't see this development being inconsistent with that. Bowing to NIMBYs in this case would not be a good look for council, it seems to me.

If I recall correctly, the PARTS plan also called for dense mixed use around Park & Victoria as well. But we all know how that has turned out so far...

Been ages since I've read the actual PARTS documents. I know they were approved but did they ever actually rezone large swaths of land to promote new development with ease? Or do you think it would still be a case by case basis. If they were smart, they'd rezone before hand and make it easier.
(02-20-2023, 01:30 PM)Acitta Wrote: The PARTS Rockaway Plan shows high density development around Mill Station, so I don't see this development being inconsistent with that. Bowing to NIMBYs in this case would not be a good look for council, it seems to me.

It's not inconsistent. But councillors like keeping their jobs, so they deny, deny, deny projects like this with just for a handful of NIMBY's.
(02-20-2023, 02:32 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:

If I recall correctly, the PARTS plan also called for dense mixed use around Park & Victoria as well. But we all know how that has turned out so far...

Yes, and Eric Schneider called up that component of the plan more than once in the committee meetings, however that didn't stop everyone from drawing reference to the prior zoning plan and complaining that they were not appropriately consulted on the later alterations via PARTS.
I think the point is that OLT will frequently grant more floors than were in the original application.
If Vic and Park gets approved I expect the new submission to be a bit taller. Follow suit with the recent increases seen across the City
(02-20-2023, 05:22 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: If Vic and Park gets approved I expect the new submission to be a bit taller. Follow suit with the recent increases seen across the City

It needs to be approved and hopefully it is, and hopefully they add a few floors just because. The same can happen at Mill St if they get denied because of the shadows at the golf greens.

Revised doc are up. This is a big one.

https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...659170.pdf

Tower A : 31 storeys - 105m
Tower B : 44 storeys - 144m
Tower C : 40 storeys - 131m
Tower D : 15 storeys - 51m
Tower E : 21 storeys - 70m 

Wow. That's quite the glow-up.
Won't anyone think of the traffic! :S haha
I like the vision, but I am sure we will not see a 44 storey tower built. As much development the region has seen thanks to the LRT, we have yet to see a major multi tower proposal like this next to one of the 19 LRT stops. Station park would count i guess. I am surprised that the owners of the 2 malls haven't not been more aggressive at building mixed-use masterplans in the sea of parking they own. Pretty much ever mall in toronto is building redeveloped, even if its not close to transit.
Nice they designed the towers to make their height reduction easy by just lifting off the top blocks.
(02-28-2023, 04:07 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Won't anyone think of the traffic! :S haha
I like the vision, but I am sure we will not see a 44 storey tower built. As much development the region has seen thanks to the LRT, we have yet to see a major multi tower proposal like this next to one of the 19 LRT stops.

Apart from malls (which are generally not next to LRT stops) there are not so many properties available for development that can accommodate five towers. Charles/Borden area will likely see greater intensification in the future, the east end is changing already with the active proposals and projects.
(02-28-2023, 09:30 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Revised doc are up. This is a big one.

https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...659170.pdf

Tower A : 31 storeys - 105m
Tower B : 44 storeys - 144m
Tower C : 40 storeys - 131m
Tower D : 15 storeys - 51m
Tower E : 21 storeys - 70m 

I'm a bit mystified because those heights do not match the ones in the zoning by-law amendment application:

I'll be shocked if this even gets approved given how anti-progress so many of our council members, residents of the city and local media are. Downtown it would be easier, but this is a low density neighbourhood. There's no reason it should not be approved but even so, NIMBYs regularly get in the way of things in this region.
Under the link the sections titled ‘new’ is the updated submission with the new floor count
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »