Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
81-85 Bridgeport Road East | 16-27 fl | Proposed
(02-03-2023, 07:49 PM)plam Wrote: So the other problem with humidifiers is the hard water and how it gums up humidifiers. What do people do about that?

Sounds good about air exchange! My CO2 is usually pretty reasonable, but there's currently only 1 of me in a 1500sqft place.

I just use a wicking humidifier and accept I have to change the filters more often. It's not ideal, but it's better than white dust everywhere.

Same situation of one person in a large space, but at the same time I was previously 1 person in an equally large space, but it was a '90s Drewlo apartment. Sensors confirm, but even without them the difference is immediately apparent.

In my unit the ERV fresh air exhaust is connect to the fan coil unit's intake, so the fan coil unit runs on low speed 24/7. This drives some people nuts from the noise, but I also think it's a positive factor for air quality. It ensures there's constant air movement within the rooms, and exchange between them.

(02-03-2023, 11:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 05:15 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I do find the humidity exchange is not as effective as I was hoping. I've had to get a fairly powerful humidifier and run it nearly constantly to keep my ~1100 sq ft condo at 45% humidity this winter.

45%? Even now, at -15 to -20 outside? At 40% or so we're getting major condensation on the windows.

I've always considered 40-60% standard indoor humidity, so 45% is a little over the minimum so I've got some margin for when I run my range hood, open the door, etc. Zero issues with condensation at Charlie West (was not true in the aforementioned Drewlo building).

(02-04-2023, 10:15 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I just use a wicking humidifier and accept I have to change the filters more often. It's not ideal, but it's better than white dust everywhere.

Yes ... we end up soaking the filter in vinegar regularly but it's better than the dust.

(02-04-2023, 10:15 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I've always considered 40-60% standard indoor humidity, so 45% is a little over the minimum so I've got some margin for when I run my range hood, open the door, etc. Zero issues with condensation at Charlie West (was not true in the aforementioned Drewlo building).

You are right about the desirable humidity levels, but most buildings suffer from condensation on the windows if you have 40%+ and temps are -10C or below. Maybe Charlie West has window systems with better insulation?
This has been sent to the OLT: https://www.therecord.com/local-waterloo...opers.html
(04-25-2023, 05:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: This has been sent to the OLT: https://www.therecord.com/local-waterloo...opers.html

Good for them. Not sure why the city couldn't make a decision on this within the 90 days. Bridgeport is a perfect place for the city to reimage with high density mixed use developments. I can't see many residents of the neighbouhood complaining about this one. Still not my favorite design, but better then a majority of northdale.
(04-26-2023, 08:24 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(04-25-2023, 05:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: This has been sent to the OLT: https://www.therecord.com/local-waterloo...opers.html

Good for them. Not sure why the city couldn't make a decision on this within the 90 days. Bridgeport is a perfect place for the city to reimage with high density mixed use developments. I can't see many residents of the neighbouhood complaining about this one. Still not my favorite design, but better then a majority of northdale.

A friend of mine is a town solicitor nearby and it’s really hard to explain how Ford’s crazy string of unexpected legislation have screwed up legal and planning departments. The new 90 day limit was put in place to punish cities for not going fast enough - and yet their resources were never increased and no warning was given.
local cambridge weirdo
How soon until the OLT is so backed up that developments grind to a halt? (or perhaps developers don't bother with the OLT and just bide their time?)
(04-26-2023, 08:24 AM)westwardloo Wrote:

Concentrating housing on noisy, dangerous and polluted arterials is totally backwards. It's better than not building anything though.

But right now most people want cheaper homes, not bike lanes. Build the homes first so you evolve and grow the neighbourhood and sense of community, then those living there will be more inclined to want infrastructure improvements and then demand them.
(04-27-2023, 02:37 PM)ac3r Wrote: But right now most people want cheaper homes, not bike lanes. Build the homes first so you evolve and grow the neighbourhood and sense of community, then those living there will be more inclined to want infrastructure improvements and then demand them.

Unfortunately, current conditions could lead developers to build fewer houses rather than more.
(04-27-2023, 04:39 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 02:37 PM)ac3r Wrote: But right now most people want cheaper homes, not bike lanes. Build the homes first so you evolve and grow the neighbourhood and sense of community, then those living there will be more inclined to want infrastructure improvements and then demand them.

Unfortunately, current conditions could lead developers to build fewer houses rather than more.

Thankfully CMHC just raised premiums on building new rental construction by 100-300%!

At this point, is there a public agency that actually helps the public or are they all worthless?

https://twitter.com/tony_kwan/status/164...9556021248
local cambridge weirdo

I think jwilliamson's point is "Why do we force all high density housing to major arterials?". Basically, we're saying that people that live in high rises aren't deserving of the quiet streets that many detached homeowners enjoy. We should distribute our density off of major arterials.
(04-27-2023, 06:45 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

I think jwilliamson's point is "Why do we force all high density housing to major arterials?". Basically, we're saying that people that live in high rises aren't deserving of the quiet streets that many detached homeowners enjoy. We should distribute our density off of major arterials.

Yeah. I would not want to live on Bridgeport. Have stayed on a noisy street before. It's terrible.
(04-27-2023, 06:45 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

I guess all those buildings in Northdale on Hemlock, Larch, Lester and Sunview don't count? I just don't understand your point here. Density needs to start somewhere. Personally I think Bridgeport and Erb are perfect locations for higher density housing. The region is planning to revert both back to two way streets with separated bike lanes in the near future.

(04-28-2023, 08:31 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 06:45 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I think jwilliamson's point is "Why do we force all high density housing to major arterials?". Basically, we're saying that people that live in high rises aren't deserving of the quiet streets that many detached homeowners enjoy. We should distribute our density off of major arterials.

I guess all those buildings in Northdale on Hemlock, Larch, Lester and Sunview don't count? I just don't understand your point here. Density needs to start somewhere. Personally I think Bridgeport and Erb are perfect locations for higher density housing. The region is planning to revert both back to two way streets with separated bike lanes in the near future.

Was going to comment the same - fair point if Bridgeport was not changing perhaps, but that streetscape is changing dramatically and for the better where this kind of density makes a lot of sense, not to mention proximity to amenities at the plaza and transit lines.

The OLT hearing was cancelled in November (and the case closed), so this project appears to be dead.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »