Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
I think that you are confusing a recent joint agreement between WRDSB, WLU and the City of Waterloo with a transfer of ownership.  On July 13, 2015, the three parties agreed to conduct a jointly-funded feasibility study to do the following:

1. support the required current and future-use needs of both Wilfrid Laurier University and Waterloo District Regional School Board and the Northdale
community through conceptualizing an innovative and community accessible multi-use, secondary and post-secondary educational development;
2. align future redevelopment on the Laurier and WRDSB lands with the vision and principles outlined in the Northdale Plan, including the provision of community
accessible parkland, amenities and facilities; and,
3. address and improve the current limitations and challenges associated with storm water drainage in the defined area.

Demographics have changed, and resource management practices have changed since the school closures and amalgamations of the 1990s-2000s. The WRDSB has no where else to host the 1500-2000 high school students that currently attend WCI, either in the existing schools or on a nearby piece of property.  While the WRDSB, WLU and the City recently agreed to study the issue, nothing further has occurred.  What I could foresee would be a redevelopment of the WCI campus east of Hazel Street to update the building (likely accessibility to start, and better climate control) and some of the athletic facilities.  The property west of Hazel Street could, for instance become a joint parking facility that would continue to to meet both WLU and WCI's parking needs.  Say, WLU below ground parking on the WRDSB property with WCI surface parking, while WLU redevelops the Northdale property to something denser.

Of course, one thing that could throw the whole thing up in the air would be if the province decided to amalgamate the Public and Catholic boards, which would then bring St. David's SS, just north of Columbia, into the mix.  But that's speculation for another day.

Here's the original report talking about the potential closure of WCI, back in 2011.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/2581...-scrutiny/

Supposedly the consultant recommended closing WCI, but there was so much protestation that by the time the issue came in front of the board the recommendation had already been disavowed.
Just at the border of the University area, word is that there'll be meetings at Council on September 22nd and October 5th about a plan for a 26 storey apartment building at 151-161 King St North. If the K2 condos on the opposite side of the road are any guide, expect neighbourhood opposition. Sad
(09-10-2015, 02:16 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: If the K2 condos on the opposite side of the road are any guide, expect neighbourhood opposition. Sad

I don't recall that much opposition outside the Sophia Church. Plus there are no neighbours left on that side, so my guess is that the only opposition might come from city council  concerning themselves about a potential oversupply***.

***I truly hope they don't go there, since after all they didn't give a hoot about the undersupply that was the norm in this town for over a quarter of a century. It would be quite unseemly for city council to worry about "poor developers" when they showed previously no regard for students and other university members.
This past week one of the rear entrances of 451 Phillip St was demolished, as work progresses on the site's transformation.

First time I have found anything in writing talking about the project underway at 451 Phillip St.

http://www.exchangemagazine.com/morningp...071507.htm

This promotional video may give us a glimpse at what 451 could look like from the outside.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=erby2Gd4oZo
I hope this redevelopment includes good access to the R&T Park station from the Phillip side - would be a big help for that neighbourhood.
"An adjacent pedestrian walkway will allow for easy connection to the LRT ION station situated in the R+T Park."

Sounds promising...

Yeah, it will formalize what was once a dirt path and hole in the fence behind the former RIM 8.

Now, what I want, is a path on the east side of the tracks, behind Valley Blades. That's a huge difference for access to BlackBerry 10.
I don't know if this has been reported here, but Marks Warehouse on Westmount mall is closing. Everything is for sale there.
(09-14-2015, 06:30 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I don't know if this has been reported here, but Marks Warehouse on Westmount mall is closing. Everything is for sale there.

I think they are open until about September 20.  If you are small or really big, you're in luck.  If you're average, the pickings are slim.
Laurier is on lockdown/all buildings closed after recieving threat.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/kitchene...-1.3274032

Glad they are on reading week and my husband isn't in class!
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/596286...mpus-areas
(10-16-2015, 09:45 PM)rangersfan Wrote: http://m.therecord.com/news-story/596286...mpus-areas

Translation: we are concerned we will be unable to fill our residences in the future (like it has already happened to WLU, btw) so please freeze development so we can make a guaranteed penny in our overpriced residences.

I wonder if more and more first year students are living off campus?
(10-17-2015, 09:41 AM)Spokes Wrote: I wonder if more and more first year students are living off campus?

This is second hand information, but I hear it is rather common for international students to buy an apartment at the get to, or for the parents to rent them a spot in one of the luxury apartments as a sign of status.

But the real source of the problem is that now there is essentially no uptake among 2 year and higher students who used to rent up the remaining units that were left unoccupied by frosh. Back in the day 2nd year and higher students fought over residence space, nowadays they have to be offered incentives to stay in rez as it has become a right of passage to move out of 1yr frosh residences. There were already years where WLU rented an entire residence building to UW because they had that much free space.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »