Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I don't know how cold is too cold to do what, but this winter has been a very gentle one not withstanding the snow last week and this current (which is supposed to be brief) cold snap. The average high in December was something like 7 degrees, which is significantly above normal. Looking at the long range forecast, we're probably going to see at least a couple of days above freezing between now and the end of January.

I'm not saying that the snow dome was a bad idea, especially since no one can reliably predict the weather two months out. But I don't think they'll get "lucky" with the type of bitterly cold February that would obviously justify it to the lay observer.

(01-18-2016, 10:57 AM)Markster Wrote: It sure would have been useful to have finished that dome by today...

It begins…

Here it is from ground level:

Attached Files Image(s)

Oh dear, as much of a Bombardier fanboy as I am, this is not good:

http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_r...Update.pdf

Page 56:

Quote:Ongoing manufacturing difficulties with weld processes in Sahagun, Mexico have resulted in a shortage of parts, and the stop in production in Thunder Bay.
Is that where all (including our LRVs) welding is done for Bombardier?
Yes. However Bead Ross (TTC) confirmed that was actually re-stating the news from last fall, not new news. So disregard. Smile
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best Smile

Underpromise and over-deliver!
(01-19-2016, 05:35 PM)Canard Wrote: Underpromise and over-deliver!

Hmm, seems they’ve got this backwards!

By the way, I’ve been meaning to thank you for asking Bombardier on Twitter about the LRVs. I have not been surprised to see no response from them, but you’re still right to ask the question. It really seems like a quick response wouldn’t tax their staff too much. Unless they’re too busy drafting the next excuse for delay on the Toronto order.
The rather detailed discussion of all different kinds of LRVs was getting a little off topic, and has been split into its own thread so that discussion can flourish on its own!
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
Construction progresses on the temporary shelter.

I know that's the temporary dome, but wouldn't King-Victoria Terminal look gorgeous with a cylindrical station covering?
(01-20-2016, 10:33 PM)DKsan Wrote: I know that's the temporary dome, but wouldn't King-Victoria Terminal look gorgeous with a cylindrical station covering?

YES.  Driving up King Street today, I thought the dome shape looked really nice there.

It's part of the artist's concepts; if we lobby enough at the next public information sessions it might become reality.
The ION facebook page has me thinking about how RT might evolve in the region. I think the next step I would like to see is a bit more of a regional rail system, probably using DMUs on mostly existing tracks.

First line would use the existing tracks between New Hamburg and Guelph with stops at New Hamburg, Baden, Boardwalk, Belmont, King&Vic, Lancaster, River, Lackner, Breslau, Imperial Rd, Guelph Stn, Victoria Rd.

Frequency 15 min peak periods, dropping down to 30-60 min off-peak.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »