Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-09-2016, 12:38 PM)chutten Wrote: Interestingly, I think you're actually allowed to take pictures while in a fenced or demarcated construction zone, so long as you're not taking pictures of a person who has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

They don't have an expectation of privacy. That's the thing. There are only a few circumstances where an expectation of privacy exists for someone when they are viewable from a public place (e.g. their bedroom window).

A lot of the common confusion comes from people confusing the rules for commercial and non-commercial activities, and the rules in the Criminal Code. Expectation of privacy is an issue under the Criminal Code. Privacy when engaged in commercial activities is an issue under PIPEDA. If you're shooting random people in public for personal purposes, you don't need their consent. If you're doing it for commercial purposes (i.e. selling the photos), you do need their consent. It's the same reason why - in Ontario - I don't have to tell someone if I'm recording our conversation, but businesses do have to tell you when you call them. However, these are all PIPEDA issues, not Criminal Code issues. Where the Criminal Code comes in is if you're shooting photos of someone in their house; regardless of whether it's for personal or commercial purposes, you do need a person's consent in that case.
  • Expectation of Privacy?
    • Yes: Criminal Code applies. Consent required.
    • No: Capturing for commercial purposes?
      • Yes: PIPEDA applies. Consent required.
      • No: No consent required.
Disclaimer: IANAL.

(06-09-2016, 12:54 PM)isUsername Wrote:
  • Expectation of Privacy?
    • Yes: Criminal Code applies. Consent required.
    • No: Capturing for commercial purposes?
      • Yes: PIPEDA applies. Consent required.
      • No: No consent required.
Disclaimer: IANAL.
And that's just the legal angle.

You can follow it up with:
  • Do any people in frame mind being photographed?
    • No: Great, keep taking pictures.
    • Yes: You are being a dick.

Being a dick is not illegal. But as Wil Wheaton says:

If I'm taking pictures of construction sites with intention of posting online, I try not to include people in the picture, because that is what I would want if I was working there.
Apparently I'm a dick.
(06-09-2016, 01:47 PM)Canard Wrote: Apparently I'm a dick.

Most of the time, people who care will ask you not to take photos. People who don't mind won't say anything.
If you continue to take photos after someone has asked you not to, then yes, you are a dick.
If no one says anything, then you are probably not a dick.
I'm probably not a dick.
Thumbs Up 
Big Grin

(06-09-2016, 11:09 AM)Markster Wrote: Also, it's nice to see curbs and paving happening at Queen/Charles.
I imagine they'll be paving the intersection itself today.

They were paving Charles between Queen and Benton this morning.  I expect the intersection will be tomorrow.
(06-09-2016, 02:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They were paving Charles between Queen and Benton this morning.  I expect the intersection will be tomorrow.

I was wrong, it got paved today!  Lane markings tomorrow?

Wait... so after all that, they're REALLY not doing the tracks yet? They're going to close Queen yet AGAIN?
Yeah... That was my thought, too. I can't believe they'd do it 98% then stop, reopen it.. Just to close it again. What on Earth is going on here??
I think it's all about scheduling the work. Maybe the track-laying crews and/or machines weren't available yet (they are surely different crews than the ones doing the paving) -- or is track being laid somewhere else at the moment?

And getting traffic flowing again on Charles (from Water to Borden?) will be a big plus.
You're likely right. Sad Not enough hands! The Ballasted track crew is working on the Huron Spur now (including the Fairway hydro ROW), and the two embedded track crews (last time I saw) are working at King in midtown and up at Allen, and down near Borden.

And they'll be tied up at Carloine/Erb shortly. I saw them digging the NBound track's railbed down to grade this morning: a trench extending its way diagonally across the intersection. Coupled with the carrier wire being strung all the way south through the park past the tensioners and to the old Waterloo Train Station, we're getting close to seeing visible work being done there.
Based on that, it makes sense to finish the paving on Charles and get the streets open. Laying the tracks on Charles (across Queen and Benton) and pouring the concrete shouldn't require a long closure later on.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »