Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Indeed, there are maybe four welds necessary between Queen and Ontario to have a single stretch of rail from Borden to Francis.

Fun safety ad campaign by Metro, the Los Angeles Light Rail system.

You can see all 6 videos here.

I will keep saying it over and over, ion had better start rolling out some ads like this pretty soon, with first train movements happening here in <6 months.
Catpoles on Charles!

[Image: 3YenMRy.jpg]
(06-25-2016, 09:59 PM)Canard Wrote: Fun safety ad campaign by Metro, the Los Angeles Light Rail system.

You can see all 6 videos here.

I will keep saying it over and over, ion had better start rolling out some ads like this pretty soon, with first train movements happening here in <6 months.

Maybe billboard ads would be more effective at reaching people?
I think it has to be a combination of media types; radio, tv, social media, YouTube, pamphlets... To be honest, I can't recall the last time (or where) I even saw a billboard on a highway, and that would only reach a third of the intended audience.
1/3 - Saturday, June 25

Here's a shot of the platform for the future Allen station.

Duct bank work along King.

Looking North from near Allen.  The rapidway is on the right, here, as the track splits at Allen.

Trains will be traveling toward drivers here, instead of in the same direction.  The choice of a low curb here is very interesting.

Trackside lubricators will be installed here, as on all curves with a radius less than 150 m, to reduce wheel/rail wear and mitigate noise.
2/3 - Saturday, June 25

Another view of the "Allen Curve".

Looking South along King, from Union.

Looking South along King, from Union.

The staircase work at the school is happening just behind the yellow digger in this shot.

3/3 - Saturday, June 25

I'll have to try and find a way to (legally) get a little closer here, but here's an overview of what's happening at the Grade Separation.  This is looking up King, from Francis.

The next few shots show the "Duke Curve".

Again, like Allen, the trains will be traveling the "wrong way" here, against the flow of traffic.

My husband and I used to live at the Kaufman Lofts; here's a photo I took from about the same area, on June 17, 2007 while we were waiting for it to be built.
I hope they put a full curb or some other delineation on Allen, in the winter with snow that'll look just like parking spots.
Canard, two of your photos are labeled "Looking south from Allen." It looks to me like they were taken at Union.
(06-26-2016, 10:16 AM)clasher Wrote: I hope they put a full curb or some other delineation on Allen, in the winter with snow that'll look just like parking spots.

It hadn't really crossed my mind, but you're absolutely right. I really wonder what the plan will be for handling snow along the line. We've had some pretty brutal winters in the past decade (last one of course being the exception), but it'll be interesting to see how it's handled.

(06-26-2016, 02:43 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Canard, two of your photos are labeled "Looking south from Allen." It looks to me like they were taken at Union.

Oops, my mistake - I've edited my post. I'm terrible with navigation and still get road names mixed up. I guess I can't use the excuse "I've only lived here for 15 years." Smile
https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/statu...2518408193

So apparently Tom and crew are getting *another* tour of the OMSF. Getting kind of tired of hearing "we'll give you guys a tour soon!" to us fans, and then see all the regional politicians bragging about it.

Edit - At least Steven Del Duca put up video of his tour (sort of?) on Periscope: https://www.periscope.tv/StevenDelDuca/1vAxRpNnQLZGl
(06-25-2016, 09:59 PM)Canard Wrote: I will keep saying it over and over, ion had better start rolling out some ads like this pretty soon, with first train movements happening here in <6 months.

I'm of two minds of this:
1) Roll it out too early and it becomes it gets ignored and forgotten with the million other messages we are bombarded with daily
2) It is never too early to start educating the public.

Sadly I think it will be a generational thing. It will take an entire generation of kids be taught with curriculum in the school system, at the safety village, by parents and the community before it truly takes root (much like recycling, and now green binning). The children of tomorrow will grow up with LRT and it will be the new normal to be more aware and obey the signals.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(06-26-2016, 03:31 PM)Canard Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 10:16 AM)clasher Wrote: I hope they put a full curb or some other delineation on Allen, in the winter with snow that'll look just like parking spots.

I wonder what the TTC does along St.Clair or what Edmonton or Calgary does. I guess at night regular plows could probably just drive down the RoW.
A novel approach to road closures: Sydney road dug up and re-laid every weekend - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-fro...e-36640427
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »