Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
GrandLinq has a paint crew out this morning painting all the traction power substations to remove the graffiti! There are also, unfortunately, a whackload of guys at R&T who are now chipping away the concrete that was already repoured once *again*. Holy moley.

(10-14-2016, 03:11 PM)Canard Wrote: Yes! Also, all the streetlights in the King/Victoria are now all the "pancake" super-bright LED ones. I seem to remember comments before about them not being the new ones. Well, they are now!

Why would they change them twice in about two weeks?  Kind of silly to not do it the first time!
1/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

Duke/Queen

Duke/Water

Duke/Water

New signage

Heart
2/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

Platform at Gaukel/Victoria Park

Platform at Cedar

Future site of Cedar TPSS

Looking down Charles
3/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

The crossover at Cameron Heights is still a long ways away from being completed.  About 10 welds/rail joins left to go.

4/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

Work yet to be completed on Cameron Heights Crossover, cont'd...

Platform edge rework at Borden.

(10-14-2016, 10:14 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The Record is also reporting the work to rebuild some of the concrete platforms, using the same quotes as CTV it seems.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6912...y-mistake/

Of course, bravo to the record for clearly and accurately stating:

"The cost falls on GrandLinq as part of its light rail project agreement with the Region of Waterloo."

So is anybody clear on the real reason for the re-work? People around here were I believe convinced it was to ground the rebar. But the article mentions only the distance from the track. So it is not clear to me which is the real explanation (or maybe two mistakes were made and both are correct).

(10-16-2016, 05:35 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-14-2016, 10:14 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The Record is also reporting the work to rebuild some of the concrete platforms, using the same quotes as CTV it seems.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6912...y-mistake/

Of course, bravo to the record for clearly and accurately stating:

"The cost falls on GrandLinq as part of its light rail project agreement with the Region of Waterloo."

So is anybody clear on the real reason for the re-work? People around here were I believe convinced it was to ground the rebar. But the article mentions only the distance from the track. So it is not clear to me which is the real explanation (or maybe two mistakes were made and both are correct).

I thought they had already made an error with distance to track in Waterloo a while back. That is why I was surprised to hear they made the error again.
(10-16-2016, 05:35 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: So is anybody clear on the real reason for the re-work? People around here were I believe convinced it was to ground the rebar. But the article mentions only the distance from the track. So it is not clear to me which is the real explanation (or maybe two mistakes were made and both are correct).

(10-16-2016, 07:01 AM)C Plus Wrote: I thought they had already made an error with distance to track in Waterloo a while back. That is why I was surprised to hear they made the error again.

Two separate issues. The media is correct that the new platform rework that started in the past few weeks was for the distance to the rail CL. They don't know about the grounding issue.
5/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

Pre-rolled rail segments have arrived at Ottawa/Charles!

Track on Ottawa.

6/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

Ballasted track awaits tamping on the Huron Spur, at Borden.

The embedded track curve from Borden onto the Waterloo Spur hasn't received any attention for the past few weeks.

From the North: the massive King St. Grade Separation project.

When I'm on my bicycle (as I was here), I very much appreciate that the orange construction barrels have been removed! Normally they were stored on the roadway, reducing the effective width by about a metre. It's much more relaxing biking through here, now!
7/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

At long last, the first crossover components have appeared for the KCI crossover in midtown!

Platform edge rework for the CL-to-track issue at Allen.

That 12 km/h sign is going to drive my OCD nuts every time I pass by it. It's because of the curves (C12-3 and C12-4) immediately prior to it, but still... could we not have rounded this up or down to a nice nominal 5 km/h increment? Smile

What's this I spy?
8/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

At long last: Track marches into the base of Uptown Waterloo!

The curb-pooper was busy pooping out curbs, too.

Further North: the Waterloo Spur, near the Perimeter Institute.

9/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

I'm not sure what these signs are attempting to communicate.  On one hand, this sign says to go to the other side, but then...

...this sign says to go to the other.  I'm a bit uncomfortable with these, because I see a lot of people already illegally trespassing on the tracks, here - these signs would seem to only encourage them to continue their illegal behaviour, implying that it's a valid pathway.  Just as I took these photos, some guy in a suit came strolling down the tracks.  This has got to stop!

Platform edge/rebar grounding rework completed at University of Waterloo.

Oh dear... R+T Park station started it's rework for the grounding issue in July.  It looks like it too is a casualty of the Rail-to-CL issue, because all that concrete they just finished repairing was being dug up again by about 8 guys.

This station just can't get a break!
10/11 - Saturday, October 15, 2016

I hate to sound negative, but I'm not really happy with how these pedestrian crossings turned out for trail crossings on the Waterloo Spur.  I hate to use the term, but they feel hostile.  I'm not sure what could be done to improve the look or feel of them.

Showing the new 6-lamp crossing lights - the two lamps facing the tracks are white, and indicate to train operators that the signal is in fact activated (they flash at the same time as the two red ones facing those wishing to cross).

Concrete rework complete at Seagram/Laurier/Waterloo Park.

Back to Kitchener; the King St. Grade Separation from the other side.

At Conestoga Terminal, here's how things look now without the army of workers covering up what they were doing!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »