Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-26-2017, 10:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Page 600!
  • First 100 pages: 12 months
  • Second 100 pages: 5.5 months
  • Third 100 pages: 4 months
  • Fourth 100 pages: 3 months
  • Fifth 100 pages: 4.5 months
  • Sixth 100 pages: 5 months
As the construction is tapering off, so is the pace of posting.  We might be entering a quiet period now, until we start seeing the first (test) trains on track!

Page 700!
  • First 100 pages: 12 months
  • Second 100 pages: 5.5 months
  • Third 100 pages: 4 months
  • Fourth 100 pages: 3 months
  • Fifth 100 pages: 4.5 months
  • Seventh 100 pages: 5 months
We are off the peak traffic on this thread, but still 20 pages per month. I suspect we'll hit page 800 before the end of April, as the testing activity ramps up.

Fore sure. This is a lull now that construction is complete and testing hasn’t really begun. There isn’t much to talk about except who’s parking on the tracks and what LRV is going to trickle down next as Bombardier is given the ok to ship them while they wait in Millhaven.
(12-22-2017, 05:32 PM)Canard Wrote: For those lamenting the ploughing of the tracks - have you not noticed the station platforms are always bare concrete, perfectly shoveled and salted?

I thought they were having heated platform surfaces so that they wouldn't need to be shovelled? Or was that Ottawa? (or my imagination)
(12-22-2017, 05:31 PM)Canard Wrote: Nope. The freight train arrived an hour or two ago and it wasn’t on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it stays in MacMillan Yard over the weekend if only for the better hiding places among the rows of cars.
(12-22-2017, 10:38 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(12-22-2017, 05:32 PM)Canard Wrote: For those lamenting the ploughing of the tracks - have you not noticed the station platforms are always bare concrete, perfectly shoveled and salted?

I thought they were having heated platform surfaces so that they wouldn't need to be shovelled? Or was that Ottawa? (or my imagination)

I mentioned the idea on this board a while back as something they should have done. While somewhat more expensive, it would have permanently eliminated the labour associated with clearing, and dramatically reduced tracking of slush and especially salt onto the trains.

It’s also possible you’re thinking of the platform heating which I understand exists at a few stations — press a button and an infrared heater comes on for a while.
The platforms are not heated - the plan is to salt them.  That's why they had to go back and do all the rail coating work at all of the stations (the black goup they put on them this summer).  To do that they pulled out the E-Clips and lifted the rail a little, painted them with the stuff, then put the rails back in place.  It protects them from the salt.

Ottawa's I believe does have heated platforms.

Heated platforms are obviously better for the environment but they cost more to put in.  It is up to the consortium running the show what they want to do (pay now or pay later).

I agree 503 will likely stay in Toronto for the weekend.  I don't actually know, but assume that railways don't just shut down for holidays - so wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on Monday and goes up the spur Monday night - although with that single train going up servicing just one business up there, I have to wonder if that business is closed if they'd cancel the Monday train.
(12-22-2017, 11:15 PM)Canard Wrote: The platforms are not heated - the plan is to salt them.  That's why they had to go back and do all the rail coating work at all of the stations (the black goup they put on them this summer).  To do that they pulled out the E-Clips and lifted the rail a little, painted them with the stuff, then put the rails back in place.  It protects them from the salt.

Ottawa's I believe does have heated platforms.

Heated platforms are obviously better for the environment but they cost more to put in.  It is up to the consortium running the show what they want to do (pay now or pay later).

I agree 503 will likely stay in Toronto for the weekend.  I don't actually know, but assume that railways don't just shut down for holidays - so wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on Monday and goes up the spur Monday night - although with that single train going up servicing just one business up there, I have to wonder if that business is closed if they'd cancel the Monday train.

I know CP goes on a restricted schedule around the holidays which is why Bombardier shipped a bunch of incomplete Flexity Outlooks to Toronto last year before the holiday scheduling took effect.

I saw my first car accident involving the LRT ROW earlier tonight. Someone in a sports car heading east on Northfield spun out and ended up with the back of their car straddling the curb and blocking the eastbound track. Police had to wait for a tow truck to winch it off after responding.
Hopefully, the first responders are getting lots of practice now, so that when service starts they can get the rapidway cleared as quickly as possible.

(obviously while making sure everyone is okay...)
1/2 - Tuesday, December 26, 2017

No activity at the Lancaster yard for the past two days - just FYI.

Kitchener Market station.

The TPSS adjacent Kitchener Market station looks to be receiving a decorative enclosure.

The rapidway on Charles, from Sterling, looking North.

Borden.
2/2 - Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The track switch just outside of Waterloo Public Square station. The tracks at the right are used for LRT, the tracks at the left are for freight trains, and lead down the Waterloo Spur (Spurline Trail).

(12-26-2017, 04:46 PM)Canard Wrote:
The TPSS adjacent Kitchener Market station looks to be receiving a decorative enclosure.

The one on Wilson behind the Shoppers looks similar (photo from a couple weeks ago):

[Image: 26xx.jpg]
Similar, but the one on Charles is getting stone columns.

(12-26-2017, 04:46 PM)Canard Wrote: The TPSS adjacent Kitchener Market station looks to be receiving a decorative enclosure.

Excellent!  As long as it doesn't become a graffiti magnet ...
Yeah, the one at Bearinger got tagged pretty quickly. As much as I hate the black "fence" types (Columbia), they're basically immune to graffiti since they're a bad canvas.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »