Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toronto transit projects
(10-23-2018, 09:29 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 07:37 PM)Canard Wrote: Also not true about the new stations, all of the ones I can think of off the top of my head have manned booths.

Not my understanding, and Wikipedia agrees

Quote:Since the extension's opening, the six new stations...do not have staffed fare collector booths. Instead, they have roaming Customer Service Agents... While TTC passengers can pay their fares at these stations with traditional fare media...they cannot purchase these types of fares there. Exact change is required when paying cash.

So I'm unclear then, are day passes not available and/or not usable at the new TTC stations?  Are they too being phased out?

(10-23-2018, 09:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: So I'm unclear then, are day passes not available and/or not usable at the new TTC stations?  Are they too being phased out?

If you go up to the booths in the new stations, which exist, and ask for a Day Pass they'll tell you you can't have one. They are only available at certain stations, which is another stupid thing that drives me completely bonkers.
(10-23-2018, 11:12 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The EasyGO cards are intended such that you can go to a driver and say "for me any my friend" and they press a button or two, and every additional time I scan, it would let the next driver know it was 2 people to let through. I don't see why this shouldn't be an option for any fare gate operator in Toronto, or as a button option for button-ed presto kiosks (as opposed to tap-only ones)

I actually heard a bus driver taking to control recently on the radio about this. A passenger was trying to do this but they determined there was no way to deduct two fares from one card for two passengers.
(10-23-2018, 11:19 PM)Canard Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 11:12 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The EasyGO cards are intended such that you can go to a driver and say "for me any my friend" and they press a button or two, and every additional time I scan, it would let the next driver know it was 2 people to let through. I don't see why this shouldn't be an option for any fare gate operator in Toronto, or as a button option for button-ed presto kiosks (as opposed to tap-only ones)

I actually heard a bus driver taking to control recently on the radio about this. A passenger was trying to do this but they determined there was no way to deduct two fares from one card for two passengers.

FAQ #12 says it is intended to work. Of course the usual problems of turning intention to reality apply.
Today, the TTC opened up their incredible facility for servicing and maintaining their ever-growing fleet of Bombardier FLEXITY Outlook LFLRV's: Leslie Barns*!

Here's a video I put together with some highlights - although you'll want to click the "YouTube" button in the lower right to open it in a new window, since the forum just displays the video as a narrow horizontal bar.

* - No, she's not a real estate agent, or a personal injury lawyer.
Being on board while it goes through the vehicle wash would be quite fun!

(10-27-2018, 07:39 PM)chutten Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 11:19 PM)Canard Wrote: I actually heard a bus driver taking to control recently on the radio about this. A passenger was trying to do this but they determined there was no way to deduct two fares from one card for two passengers.

FAQ #12 says it is intended to work. Of course the usual problems of turning intention to reality apply.

I tried to do this a few months ago with my EasyGo card, the driver had no idea how to do it so my second passenger ended up riding for free. I was heading to Charles St Terminal so the driver asked if I could go talk to the people at the GRT counter about this; no one there had ever heard of this functionality either. So I wrote an email to the GRT for the EasyGo beta test about this, and never heard anything back. It's weird they advertise a 'feature' that the drivers are entirely unaware of.
I think the discussion about other LRT projects over on the Ion thread was asking about the government's stance on some of the Toronto area projects. The lack of answer to a yes or no question in today's question period I think should be worrisome:

Quote:Ms. Jessica Bell: Before the election, the Premier promised to maintain funding for the Hurontario LRT, which is scheduled for completion in 2022, but the fall economic statement did not mention the Hurontario LRT at all, and last week the government refused to confirm the project would be moving forward.

Can the minister tell us, yes or no, will he be maintaining funding for the Hurontario LRT so that it can be completed by 2022, as planned?

Hon. Jeff Yurek: Thanks again for that question. We’ve had numerous discussions in the ministry, reviewing all the projects going forward, and I can tell you that we will be making the best decisions on behalf of the people of this province.

We have inherited a $15-billion deficit and over $300 billion in debt. We have to make sure we’re making decisions that are going to work for the people of the GTHA.

As I said, as we’re uploading the TTC, we are going to be creating a regional structure across the GTHA. Under the leadership of Metrolinx, we are going to be making some good decisions for the people of this province and we’re going to be expanding the transit opportunities.

The Huronontario LRT is still having a great discussion within our ministry, and we look forward to having a great announcement with you in a short time forward.

The same member of the opposition was also claiming that the fall economic statement cut $1.4 billion for transit infrastructure, but the government failed to specify where these cuts are coming from and what transit projects could be on the chopping block.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Would cancelling the Hurontario LRT constitute a "great announcement" for the DoFo PCs?
(11-23-2018, 12:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Would cancelling the Hurontario LRT constitute a "great announcement" for the DoFo PCs?

That sounds like another "government efficiency" they have uncovered!
https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/f...n-possible
(11-23-2018, 12:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Would cancelling the Hurontario LRT constitute a "great announcement" for the DoFo PCs?

It would be considered great in their view because it would mean everyday folks wouldn't have to pay for the elite's pet project and thereby freeing up money to pass along as a tax break "for the people".
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Not a city transit project but.....

The Toronto Zoo could get a Monorail...FOR FREE.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/y...-1.4921661

Am I correct in thinking that this Edmonton company, Magnovate, does not yet have even a prototype in operation?
(11-27-2018, 01:29 PM)Spokes Wrote: Not a city transit project but.....

The Toronto Zoo could get a Monorail...FOR FREE.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/y...-1.4921661

[Image: Springfield_Monorail.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »