Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-05-2019, 03:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The disruption pales in comparison to the crowds that participate in the ceremony.  To be fair, I wish a better location could be created for the Cenotaph - never been a fan of the corner at Frederick and Duke.
Maybe if/when they expand Victoria Park up Gaukel to City Hall they could include a new location for the cenotaph.

(11-05-2019, 02:42 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Do they really! I had no idea, I've never been on one at the time. I've rarely observed more than a handful of motorists pulling over at 11:00, so I've been operating under the assumption that, for most people, that practice was archaic.

It’s possible I’m thinking of the TTC.

I haven’t ever heard of it as something for motorists in general.

And my recollection may be completely wrong, but my sense is that transit vehicles stopping for a couple of minutes at 11:00 is a relatively new practice, maybe in the last 10-15 years.
Not to mention that people may arrive and leave the ceremony BY transit.

Of course, the other problem is that the disruption will be far longer than the ceremony because the overhead wiring must be unpowered while the seating is up.
(11-05-2019, 03:34 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 03:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The disruption pales in comparison to the crowds that participate in the ceremony.  To be fair, I wish a better location could be created for the Cenotaph - never been a fan of the corner at Frederick and Duke.
Maybe if/when they expand Victoria Park up Gaukel to City Hall they could include a new location for the cenotaph.

Given the Ion line on Charles, that could run into the same problem, unless it were down at Joseph, somehow.   How about a new municipal square on King (from Fritsch's down to the King Centre) to create a large space facing Carl Zehr Platz?  I imagine that would create a public space, away from the Ion tracks but close to stations, that, with King St closed, could accomodate larger crowds than currently gather at Frederick and Duke.  The bonus would be to create additional off-street space for all the events that close King Street.
It appears we've had our first LRT-bike collision. https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/bike-and-lr...76505#_gus
Given the location, it's hard to imagine the LRT operator was at fault. I guess cyclists are just as human as drivers when it comes to turning in front of moving trains.
i got to experience the lrt replacement shuttles first hand and they work really well. A bit crowded at most but not half bad.

(11-08-2019, 04:28 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Given the location, it's hard to imagine the LRT operator was at fault. I guess cyclists are just as human as drivers when it comes to turning in front of moving trains.

I wonder if the tracks contributed to loss of control.
(11-08-2019, 04:28 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Given the location, it's hard to imagine the LRT operator was at fault. I guess cyclists are just as human as drivers when it comes to turning in front of moving trains.

(11-08-2019, 09:59 PM)plam Wrote:

I wonder if the tracks contributed to loss of control.
Istm that the cyclist would almost certainly have misjudged his angle in relation to the tracks in turning onto/from Ottawa St ahead of the oncoming train.  If not, and he turned into the path of a moving train, he's lucky to be alive.
Was the driver of the LRV wearing a helmet?
So I was driving down King Street towards Victoria when some yahoo started driving on the tracks in front of me. I probably was honking continually for about 20 seconds and he finally got off when the dude in front of him, who was turning right onto Victoria, was in the proper lane and I assume he noticed that or the honking behind him, or both.

I looked at his plate and the plate holder was of a dealership in Toronto. I then realized that in some parts of Toronto, at least last time I was driving on one of the lines, is that some of these lines are shared (not all, but some). I wonder if the GRT might need to rethink the curbs (or lack of) in that area.

Just a thought.
IIRC ION trains must be run continuously during snowfall to ensure the tracks are clear, yet today we have a major outage, I wonder if they've accounted for the snowfall in that.

Thoughts? Insights?
I am willing to bet everything will run just fine

I just saw a railterm plow truck come down the tracks on Charles, so looks like they’re monitoring that
LRT/car collision at Charles and Cedar.

https://www.wrps.on.ca/Modules/NewsIncid...119729018e
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »