Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(02-21-2020, 11:58 AM)KingandWeber Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 11:28 AM)midriser Wrote: Four new medical offices instead of abandoned buildings/illegal activity dens is certainly good for the community, but adding even more surface parking directly on King is really unfortunate. Plus, the middle house would IMO probably be the best looking of the three structures if it was to be fixed up. An improvement in terms of use, but definitely not in terms of form.

My thoughts exactly. In fact, I thought zoning had changed to discourage parking lots directly on King, but maybe that doesn't go this far down. I guess we will just have to hope the whole site is redeveloped one day, maybe with the inclusion of some neighbouring properties.

I think discouraging parking lots on King is part of the proposed new zoning which hasn't been approved yet. I think it also mentions once the existing car dealerships/repair shops close the land can't be used for new ones. It would probably extend to Ottawa St if that's the border of the King East neighbourhood. 

I heard from a neighbour that the surface lot at the corner of King and Cameron (beside AIM medical) has also been sold for redevelopment. The building between Biba Boutique and the Market Lofts is also for sale.

I too thought the zoning didn't allow this. Hmmm
Sorry I know it's paywalled, but according to the record,  the development on borden by the aud has been approved. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/986...bjections/
(02-26-2020, 08:54 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: Sorry I know it's paywalled, but according to the record,  the development on borden by the aud has been approved. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/986...bjections/

Oooooo...

Neighbours are not going to be happy. There are some very upset NIMBYs in our Nextdoor community. Lots of dramatic language being thrown around.
"A soulless, monolithic building..." Wow, I am not sure I would agree with her assessment. I think when it is done it will be good for the neighborhood. I bet there wont be as many cars as they fear. Many younger people are making do without cars. What the city should be enforcing is more bike friendly storage in the building with quick access.
The developer proposed 7 storeys, so the NIMBYs could see victory in getting it down to the 6 storeys that the developer probably wanted to build in the first place. Everybody wins!
(02-26-2020, 09:31 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The developer proposed 7 storeys, so the NIMBYs could see victory in getting it down to the 6 storeys that the developer probably wanted to build in the first place.  Everybody wins!

The NIMBYs wouldn't have wanted the old retirement home that was there built if that's what they were proposing today.

I agree with Mayor Berry, if we can't build this type of thing here, where can we?

Absolutely, most the NIMBY against this are against everything. They were hoping it would remain a vacant lot it didn't matter what was proposed. I think they way the developer stepped the proposal back will reduce it have much effect on the neighbouring properties.  The design is not going to win awards, but it is better the barra on queen in my opinion.
Didn't that get approved a month ago?
(02-26-2020, 11:05 AM)Spokes Wrote: Didn't that get approved a month ago?

There was a council meeting Monday where I think the residents had their last chance to complain about it.

They held off approving it last month due to resident objections.
Ohh that must be what I was thinking.
(02-26-2020, 11:11 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 11:05 AM)Spokes Wrote: Didn't that get approved a month ago?

There was a council meeting Monday where I think the residents had their last chance to complain about it.

They held off approving it last month due to resident objections.
It was deferred earlier this year with some councillors requesting that an additional floor be removed as well as some other requests for changes around materials, etc. Vive returned to say they didn't think it was best to remove another storey for a variety of reasons including housing supply and that a reduction in units would lead to higher rental rates.
18 Guelph Street (century-old home with a few additions on it, maybe 3500 square feet total, on a quarter acre) was demolished yesterday after being vacant for more than two years. A permit is open for 13 town homes.

(02-26-2020, 11:54 AM)MidTowner Wrote: 18 Guelph Street (century-old home with a few additions on it, maybe 3500 square feet total, on a quarter acre) was demolished yesterday after being vacant for more than two years. A permit is open for 13 town homes.

" Maxwell Building Consultants will construct a 13-unit apartment at 18 Guelph Street, Kitchener. The three storey stacked townhouse will have 10 one-bedroom, two three-bedroom, and one five-bedroom units. The Region will provide capital funding for 13 units with just under $1.7 million."

Affordable (read lower income, subsidized, R.G.I.) housing
"City must prepare for thousands of new downtown residents"
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/987...residents/

Generally in agreement with the story (and the professor), although I am mystified why this building boom would cause problems for condo boards, any different than what those boards deal with today.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »