Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannabis shops in Waterloo Region
A related article:
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/961...lications/

At what point, one wonders, will this mess of a retail model simply collapse?
(08-30-2019, 05:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The current figures show a finished goods inventory of about 50 tonnes, with a monthly total sales volume of about 10 tonnes, meaning that there is five months' worth of inventory available. Whether that's inventory of the popular strains is unknown, though.

The unfinished inventory is what really matters for this conversation, because it means LPs are sitting on vast stockpiles of dried cannabis it isn't even worth packaging to sell. There is just no point in producing more finished inventory when supply already greatly outweighs demand. OCS and the Ontario government continue to claim there is a cannabis shortage while the stockpile grows and grows, and LPs point the finger at OCS for not ordering enough inventory of readily available products. Given the government's track record here, I'm not prepared to believe LPs are all so incompetent they grew over 300 tonnes of cannabis nobody wants to buy at any price.
I've heard that the larger retail interests are expecting Ontario's retail model to collapse next year, creating opportunities for new retail outlets.
(12-02-2019, 09:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I've heard that the larger retail interests are expecting Ontario's retail model to collapse next year, creating opportunities for new retail outlets.

Well ... the government has already effectively admitted that the lottery model didn't work, and they are switching to open licensing. Does that count as a collapse?
(12-17-2019, 01:38 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 09:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I've heard that the larger retail interests are expecting Ontario's retail model to collapse next year, creating opportunities for new retail outlets.

Well ... the government has already effectively admitted that the lottery model didn't work, and they are switching to open licensing. Does that count as a collapse?

Yep.  I also saw in the news the other week that JWC is planning to open an "in-house" retail outlet at their production facility down on Manitou.
The old Lion Brewing building at King and Bridgeport is being renovated for Sweet Seven Cannabis.

So....where is everyone getting their pot these days?
The licensed retailers are pretty good. I've been to both Meta and Tokyo Smokes.

The recommendations I've gotten from the folks at Meta have been really good, and I haven't talked directly with the Tokyo Smoke staff as much but I'm partial to the way Tokyo Smokes categorizes by experience, it makes it easier to figure out which hybrids are a little more "make stuff and get shit done!" and which ones are a little more "zone out and giggle a lot".

Those little humidity packs that they sell work pretty good to mitigate how dry the legal stuff usually is, but that's still my biggest complaint.
(06-29-2020, 08:09 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: The licensed retailers are pretty good. I've been to both Meta and Tokyo Smokes.

The recommendations I've gotten from the folks at Meta have been really good, and I haven't talked directly with the Tokyo Smoke staff as much but I'm partial to the way Tokyo Smokes categorizes by experience, it makes it easier to figure out which hybrids are a little more "make stuff and get shit done!" and which ones are a little more "zone out and giggle a lot".

Those little humidity packs that they sell work pretty good to mitigate how dry the legal stuff usually is, but that's still my biggest complaint.

To be honest, I’d only get oil or edibles...not a smoker. And strictly for medicinal purposes — for a sleep disorder.
Oh, if you're getting for medicinal purposes and have a prescription so you can order from an online distributor I'd look into those options, but I'm unable to recommend any. There may be a better or more consistent supply. I'd wager the folks at either retail location I've been to would have good recommendations for you though, they both have a variety of oils and edibles and drinkables (I have some tea bags I have yet to try, just out of sheer curiosity).
90 Queen St S (the Pearl Laundry building) might finally be getting a tenant: Canadian Cannabis Bouteek.

Their web site claims new locations coming in Kitchener and Oshawa.
https://www.canadiancannabisbouteek.com/

Does anyone know if the place across from city hall is going to be a cannabis retail location as well?

(06-30-2020, 04:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 90 Queen St S (the Pearl Laundry building) might finally be getting a tenant: Canadian Cannabis Bouteek.

Their web site claims new locations coming in Kitchener and Oshawa.
https://www.canadiancannabisbouteek.com/

"Bouteek".  Sounds classy ....
(06-30-2020, 06:52 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Does anyone know if the place across from city hall is going to be a cannabis retail location as well?

The notices are still posted but they are quite old now ...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »