Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
WEDNESDAY 2020-09-02

Waterloo Region reported two new cases today (0.2% of the total and 4.5% of the active cases). New cases are now averaging 6.9% of active cases over the past seven days. 14 new cases over that week. Active cases are at 44 (+1).

Ontario reported 133 new cases today, with a seven-day average of 123. 137 recoveries and no deaths translated to a decrease of four active cases and a current total of 1,236. A weekly total change of +206. 24,004 tests for a 0.55% positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.46% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.3% of the total and 10.8% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.5% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 13 (-4).
  • 43 cases in Toronto: 1.4 per 100K population
  • 21 cases in Ottawa: 2.1per 100K
  • 34 cases in Peel: 3.4 per 100K
  • 15 cases in York: 1.5 per 100K
  • 12 cases in Ottawa: 1.2 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Waterloo: 0.3 per 100K (based on regional reporting)

THURSDAY 2020-09-03

Waterloo Region reported no new cases today (0.0% of the total and 0.0% of the active cases). New cases are now averaging 5.1% of active cases over the past seven days. 15 new cases over that week. Active cases are at 25 (-18) after the region marked 18 cases as resolved (this does not appear to get done daily). Active case count is now back down to the early-August levels.

Ontario reported 132 new cases today, with a seven-day average of 125. 119 recoveries and no deaths translated to a decrease of four active cases and a current total of 1,236. A weekly total change of +179. 26,298 tests for a 0.50 positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.47% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.3% of the total and 10.6% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.4% of actives over the past seven days.

The key difference between the region and the province: new cases at an average of 5% of actives per day, when the province is at 10%.

ICU patient count is at 12 (-1).
  • 45 cases in Peel: 4.5 per 100K
  • 31 cases in Toronto: 1.0 per 100K population
  • 22 cases in Ottawa: 2.2per 100K
  • 0 cases in Waterloo: 0.0 per 100K (based on regional reporting)

Peel keeps getting worse ... Sad
Thanks for posting all these stats tomh009! I'm not following Ontario news super closely so it's good to have some idea. I think what we're seeing here is that it's easy for a superspreader to get way out of control. (The NZ cluster seems to have gotten back under control after locking down Auckland, pop 1.5M, for 3 weeks).
FRIDAY 2020-09-04

Waterloo Region reported two new cases today (0.1% of the total and 8.3% of the active cases). New cases are now averaging 5.3% of active cases over the past seven days. 14 new cases over that week. Active cases are steady at 25.

Ontario reported 148 new cases today, with a seven-day average of 128. 116 recoveries and one undeath translated to an increase of 33 active cases and a current total of 1,282. A weekly total change of +179. 28,591 tests for a 0.52% positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.49% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.3% of the total and 11.5% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.5% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 13 (+1) but total hospital population is now back up to about 60, 50% higher than early August. It seems that the higher new case counts are generating hospital stays, but ICU is not being stressed (yet), either because of the younger demographics or the improved treatment methods outside the ICU.
  • 72 cases in Peel: 7.2 per 100K
  • 41 cases in Toronto: 1.4 per 100K population
  • 13 cases in Ottawa: 1.3 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Waterloo: 0.6 per 100K (based on regional reporting)

I said "Peel keeps getting worse" yesterday, but 72 cases today ... wow. Just wow. It looks like possibly four clusters in suburban Mississauga and suburban Brampton.
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience...7ff65b9831
I'm riding the GO train back from Toronto right now. Everyone (except for very young children) has on a mask. A few people are using them to protect just their chins and maybe half have it below their nose.
(09-04-2020, 07:11 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: I'm riding the GO train back from Toronto right now. Everyone (except for very young children) has on a mask.  A few people are using them to protect just their chins and maybe half have it below their nose.
Why do so many people wear their mask with their nose uncovered?  I’ve seen it a number of times and I don’t get it.
(09-04-2020, 07:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 07:11 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: I'm riding the GO train back from Toronto right now. Everyone (except for very young children) has on a mask.  A few people are using them to protect just their chins and maybe half have it below their nose.
Why do so many people wear their mask with their nose uncovered?  I’ve seen it a number of times and I don’t get it.

because "Masks are stuffy if I cover both my nose and mouth, so I will wear it on my chin/only over my mouth and then if anyone complains I can say 'but i am wearing a mask' to them."

Bizarre.
(09-04-2020, 07:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
If you wear glasses, they tend to fog up.
(09-05-2020, 08:24 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 07:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Why do so many people wear their mask with their nose uncovered?  I’ve seen it a number of times and I don’t get it.

If you wear glasses, they tend to fog up.

Not if it fits properly, along your nose and cheeks. With the proper fit, the humid air (when exhaling) will exit on the sides or bottom rather than the top. My latest (fabric) mask has far less fogging issues than what I was using before.
(09-05-2020, 03:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 08:24 AM)Acitta Wrote: If you wear glasses, they tend to fog up.

Not if it fits properly, along your nose and cheeks. With the proper fit, the humid air (when exhaling) will exit on the sides or bottom rather than the top. My latest (fabric) mask has far less fogging issues than what I was using before.

It definitely depends on the mask, but most, including all I have tried have a lot of leakage up the top of the mask.
I use two different designs, one is a snugger fit that I wear if I know I'll be in close quarters for a short period, another is looser that I use for things like shopping and long trips on transit.
(09-05-2020, 05:27 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 03:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Not if it fits properly, along your nose and cheeks. With the proper fit, the humid air (when exhaling) will exit on the sides or bottom rather than the top. My latest (fabric) mask has far less fogging issues than what I was using before.

It definitely depends on the mask, but most, including all I have tried have a lot of leakage up the top of the mask.

Mine is custom-made Smile and has a fairly rigid metal support to ensure that it doesn't change form. The best so far!

SATURDAY 2020-09-05

Waterloo Region reported one new cases today (0.1% of the total and 4.0% of the active cases). New cases are now averaging 4.5% of active cases over the past seven days. 11 new cases over that week.

Ontario reported 169 new cases today, the highest in six weeks, with a seven-day average of 131. 106 recoveries and no deaths translated to an increase of 63 active cases and a current total of 1,345. A weekly total change of +197. 28,672 tests for a 0.59% positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.51% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.4% of the total and 12.6% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.5% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 14 (+1).
  • 46 cases in Peel: 4.6 per 100K
  • 42 cases in Toronto: 1.4 per 100K population
  • 30 cases in Ottawa: 3.0 per 100K
  • 19 cases in York: 1.9 per 100K population
  • 1 case in Waterloo: 0.3 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)

The top four regions account for 137 of the total 169 new cases.
Honestly who knows. I dont want to be a pessimist but I won't think society has quite yet felt the ramifications quite yet if the economic slow down. Will be even worse if there's ANOTHER lock down.

If that's the case, You can kiss a proper DTK renaissance goodbye for at least a decade...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »