Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-19-2020, 07:16 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Another accident at King/Green. Looking at the CTV Photo, looks like a Southbound train.

How long before the media gets tired of reporting it? Toronto media doesn't publish every streetcar collision.

ijmorlan
(08-24-2020, 09:44 PM)jeffster Wrote: I like the look, and wondered that myself. My only guess that winter maintenance may have cause too much harm? I mean, at least to ION officials. Linz has about 61 cm of snow per year. So it's not like it's snow free. But perhaps their warmer winter climate may make snow removal easier.

Snow removal is not normally required on railways except for exceptionally snowy areas or areas with extensive drifting or avalanches. I’m pretty sure the local freight railways around here are never plowed. Embedded track is different; I’m not entirely clear how different. Up to a point it should still be possible for the LRVs to push aside snow, but if the flangeway ices up you can get derailments and it’s possible deep snow would be a problem. But unless emergency vehicles (or other traffic, but that doesn’t apply to our system outside of intersections) really are using the track area embedding isn’t required anyhow so who knows.

(10-20-2020, 11:21 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 07:16 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Another accident at King/Green. Looking at the CTV Photo, looks like a Southbound train.

How long before the media gets tired of reporting it? Toronto media doesn't publish every streetcar collision.

I actually read on a comment on Reddit saying that people in Toronto don't crash into streetcars. I'm guessing because unless it's someone knocking the train off the tracks or driving down the tunnel into Queen's Quay they don't cover it.
(10-20-2020, 11:21 AM)Bytor Wrote:

Years, I’d wager.
(10-20-2020, 11:36 AM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 11:21 AM)Bytor Wrote: How long before the media gets tired of reporting it? Toronto media doesn't publish every streetcar collision.

I actually read on a comment on Reddit saying that people in Toronto don't crash into streetcars. I'm guessing because unless it's someone knocking the train off the tracks or driving down the tunnel into Queen's Quay they don't cover it.

549 streetcar collisions in 2017.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/07...-year.html
Almost two a day! Too many to report, then.
Afaik local media haven't reported on quite a few of the collisions. Some of them were spotted by the public, but some in the official regional tally are completely unaccounted for.

Probably bus shelters. The media happily blamed ION for the bus shelter work at Charles and Cedar a few months back...
(10-24-2020, 07:41 AM)KevinT Wrote: Probably bus shelters. The media happily blamed ION for the bus shelter work at Charles and Cedar a few months back...

Interesting. Could be. 

On the media, to be fair, I called out 570 News on this and they quite reasonably pointed out that it is the region which is explicitly calling this ION construction on their website. 570 is just repeating it.
(10-24-2020, 07:48 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 07:41 AM)KevinT Wrote: Probably bus shelters. The media happily blamed ION for the bus shelter work at Charles and Cedar a few months back...

Interesting. Could be. 

On the media, to be fair, I called out 570 News on this and they quite reasonably pointed out that it is the region which is explicitly calling this ION construction on their website. 570 is just repeating it.

I probably don't have to point it out to this audience but the Ion also applies to the brt so I assume these were Ion bus stops? Now most of the LRT haters won't care about the distinction if they are looking to blame the LRT for any inconvenience or extra spending.
(10-26-2020, 09:07 AM)Chris Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 07:48 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Interesting. Could be. 

I probably don't have to point it out to this audience but the Ion also applies to the brt so I assume these were Ion bus stops? Now most of the LRT haters won't care about the distinction if they are looking to blame the LRT for any inconvenience or extra spending.

That is a good point, but I don't think it applies, the locations were on Charles, Benton, and Bordon ave, all locations where the LRT runs.

You are right though, it wouldn't matter to the haters, lol...
(10-26-2020, 09:21 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: You are right though, it wouldn't matter to the haters, lol...

ME SMRT! ION BAD!
(10-26-2020, 10:05 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 09:21 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: You are right though, it wouldn't matter to the haters, lol...

ME SMRT! ION BAD!

If this was also a joke about the ION being bad by Singapore MRT standards, then good job Big Grin

(10-26-2020, 01:18 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 10:05 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: ME SMRT! ION BAD!

If this was also a joke about the ION being bad by Singapore MRT standards, then good job Big Grin

At least we can eat durian on the LRT?
Rode 506 today and noticed they finally removed the "stop" buttons. Not sure how long ago that was.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »