Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Garment Street Condos | 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(12-05-2020, 12:06 AM)Momo26 Wrote: I will say, I was dissapointed when Avenue M was scrapped - the definition of mid-rise (3 stories?)...high quality (at least high quality looking). Had a large footprint but seemed like it would have been a nice edition nestled in the urban core.

Avenue M would have been one of the nicer buildings indeed, and in a very nice location. We were pretty close to buying a unit but backed out (before it was cancelled).

Was it you that said the AirBnB was a deciding factor?
(12-06-2020, 12:23 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Was it you that said the AirBnB was a deciding factor?

For us, it was a big factor, yes. They would allow AirBNB for people who bought a "short-term rental licence" but there was no regulation or management of those rentals, so things could potentially get out of hand and no one would be able to do anything about it.
Right. That's fair - especially if you're looking to live there (random people in and out of a lot of the units)...but can the same not be said for any building?
(12-06-2020, 03:02 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Right. That's fair - especially if you're looking to live there (random people in and out of a lot of the units)...but can the same not be said for any building?

Many/most condo buildings don't allow short-term rentals.

The could have limited the short-term rentals to a specific part of the building (2nd floor, for example) -- or, more importantly, given the board the ability to cancel or buy back the licence if there are repeated violations on the part of the owner (e.g. AirBNB host).
I wonder if condo buildings with permitted short term rentals are more expensive to insure?
Outside of Oktoberfest, the 2ish music fests that take place - Bingemon's (EDM) and the McLennan park one (did one even happen in 2019?) Do we believe a few dozen units are going to be revolving door AirBnB rentals? I see it far more likely to have the month to month rentals which are ultimately not that different than the yearly rentals (you can break contract at any time).

Was that a question for me? There are surprisingly many AirBNB listings in K-W. Anyway, from my personal point of view, all it would take is one negligent AirBNB host to really wreak havoc on a building, since there would be no way to sanction that.

Other people might not mind that. Smile
(12-07-2020, 12:35 AM)Momo26 Wrote: the McLennan park one (did one even happen in 2019?) 

Big Music Fest has been defunct for a few years now
Speaking of failed music festivals, we once had a pretty decent one that focused on underground electronic music (not the pop-EDM crap the big ones feature). I think it ran for a year or two but then it hasn't resurfaced since. I can't remember what it was called, but it would be nice to have that again since there isn't a whole lot of that kind of culture here.

Thankfully Open Ears Festival is still around, which focuses on more experimental acoustic, electroacoustic, electronic music, sound art and installations.
Koi Music fest is another one that didn't survive long term.
Towers in the mist.

Nice shot.

Hi! Not sure if this is the right forum, but how safe are these condos?? If anyone who lives there would be willing to comment more I have loads of qs thank you Smile
https://www.instagram.com/wilsoncostaphoto/

This photographer has taken a really good drone video of Garmin Street / One Hundred / Glovebox developments.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »