Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
(11-28-2020, 09:33 AM)jamincan Wrote: I remember when I was going to UW people would complain about how there's no interesting food and things to do in Waterloo, which was kind of, though not completely, true at the time. The thing is, they never visited the cool things that did exist. Their experience of Waterloo literally extended to University Plaza and not beyond. Even at that time there were great spots in uptown - Moody Blue's, Jane Bond, Starlight, Gen-X... At a certain point, your experience of a place becomes more a reflection of yourself and how you interact with it.

Now, how could you have missed Mortys?

Anyway, there is a lot more up in Waterloo now, or there was. I know some places will probably be lost. Which sucks.

The entrance is now completed -- and the project name is revealed to be One Young Street.

That sign has been up for probably more than a month now. I read it as more of an address, it's still the Mayfair in my heart.
(01-17-2021, 06:44 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: That sign has been up for probably more than a month now. I read it as more of an address, it's still the Mayfair in my heart.

Mayfair is still in the title. Smile
Why not formally "The Mayfair", I wonder?
(01-17-2021, 11:47 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Why not formally "The Mayfair", I wonder?

I agree.  Seems weird to go through all the effort of putting the old building in the glass, only to name it something totally different.
When I hear (because of the spelling difference) 1 Young St, I think of the Toronto Star building.  I agree it should be the Mayfair.

Coke

This will probably become one of those buildings that gets colloquially known as The Mayfair regardless of how they try to brand it otherwise.
Building brochure is available online at https://756d071b.flowpaper.com/OneYoungS...20/#page=1 , lots of details about the specs and layout. The top floor is now listed as office, I guess the rooftop restaurant is no more.
That's heartbreaking for me. That was the biggest draw about this building.
(02-11-2021, 11:24 AM)Spokes Wrote: That's heartbreaking for me. That was the biggest draw about this building.
Definitely disappointing, not surprising that the project did the old bait and switch on the rooftop restaurant. I bet they didn't even attempt to find a restaurant tenant for the top floor. Now that the pandemic has decimated the service industry.
Does city hall still have that rooftop cafe?
(02-11-2021, 11:39 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 11:24 AM)Spokes Wrote: That's heartbreaking for me. That was the biggest draw about this building.

Definitely disappointing, not surprising that the project did the old bait and switch on the rooftop restaurant. I bet they didn't even attempt to find a restaurant tenant for the top floor. Now that the pandemic has decimated the service industry.

I refer you to Hanlon's Razor.

Ridiculous @ not doing the rooftop restaurant. It's exactly what DTK needed (and I understand it wouldn't be easy finding a tenant to sign right now). Can they not at least 'rough it in'? Any resto would need to design it their way any how. Man I envisoned a vibing spot, some people sitting, some standing around bar like table tops, music playing for after work bites and drinks.

Sigh, falling short of potential again, the KIT way.
No rooftop restaurant is tragic but I'm hopeful economic recovery could change that. Who knows.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »