Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Market Flats | 7 fl | Completed
I couldn't get a good picture, but there are windows and balcony doors(?) being installed on the Cedar St side of the building.

I was by this building yesterday, it is really coming along nice. I think it is going to turn out great and hopefully inspire others to do the same...
Really hope there will be a lot of developments there so the market can finally open more than 2 days a week.
I've always found it odd that we complain about a lack of grocery store downtown, yet there is a market with fresh produce, meat, vendors upstairs and a few businesses that could have been filling that niche for a long time.
(03-09-2021, 02:35 PM)ac3r Wrote: I've always found it odd that we complain about a lack of grocery store downtown, yet there is a market with fresh produce, meat, vendors upstairs and a few businesses that could have been filling that niche for a long time.

1 day a week, that's a real problem.
I personally love the Kitchener Market...My family utilizes it often... I have my go to vendors, and my wife has her Polish vendors that she likes...
(03-09-2021, 03:23 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 02:35 PM)ac3r Wrote: I've always found it odd that we complain about a lack of grocery store downtown, yet there is a market with fresh produce, meat, vendors upstairs and a few businesses that could have been filling that niche for a long time.

1 day a week, that's a real problem.

Yeah. I plan my schedule around it but 0.5 days/week is generally difficult for our North American lifestyles. (There are a couple of things that are difficult to get at the market, say Asian goods, but that's fine.)

Totally off topic: retail in NZ really doesn't stay open in evenings and often not on Sundays. Want to shop past 6? Out of luck. Groceries are open though.

I remember we tried a mid-week market a couple years ago and it was a complete bust. I recall going down one day and it was just a few vendors set up along Eby Street and they all pulled out pretty fast. I wonder if it would be different indoors, where there is more suitable storage and refrigeration. But I suppose an issue with that, then, is that each vendor rents their stall space so you'd need to find some willing to be there more than 1 day a week.

Maybe in the future things will improve there because I love going to the market for things. As more residential projects go up on this side of downtown, it might help, especially since there is still a lack of a real grocery store (I can't count the new one going in the old Eatons Lofts, as it's a niche, high end grocer that really limits it to clientele with thicker wallets).
(03-09-2021, 03:48 PM)plam Wrote: Yeah. I plan my schedule around it but 0.5 days/week is generally difficult for our North American lifestyles. (There are a couple of things that are difficult to get at the market, say Asian goods, but that's fine.)

New City and BT are within a few blocks of the market, though, so you can hit them on the same trip.
(03-09-2021, 01:56 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: I couldn't get a good picture, but there are windows and balcony doors(?) being installed on the Cedar St side of the building.

Here you go ...

(03-09-2021, 05:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 03:48 PM)plam Wrote: Yeah. I plan my schedule around it but 0.5 days/week is generally difficult for our North American lifestyles. (There are a couple of things that are difficult to get at the market, say Asian goods, but that's fine.)

New City and BT are within a few blocks of the market, though, so you can hit them on the same trip.

I picked a random example off the top of my head, which is indeed a bad example. Let's say pasta instead? I can't remember being able to buy pasta at the market.
That’s why I’m pretty excited for the new buildings around the market. This one is 7 floor so I don’t think it will make a big dent. But there are taller ones on the way.
(03-09-2021, 05:46 PM)plam Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 05:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: New City and BT are within a few blocks of the market, though, so you can hit them on the same trip.

I picked a random example off the top of my head, which is indeed a bad example. Let's say pasta instead? I can't remember being able to buy pasta at the market.

Fair enough! I don't think there is any source for fresh pasta in DTK at the moment at all. Marche Leo's, I would expect, but then it's a 10-15 minute walk from the market.

I'm excited for this project. I just hope it doesn't feel cheap. Hard to tell from the renders
I've seen first hand some of the material samples they've chosen. They seem like they'd come together to make the building look pretty good. Of course, I was just holding a small piece out of a material library, but it didn't feel cheap or anything. We'll have to see once things are all done. Either way, this is an improvement over the empty lot. Within 5 years this area is going to have such a different feel.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »