Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
You can't tell from the outside, but Fairview Park Walmart has been getting renovated for months and months now, and at the current pace, seems like it could take a while yet. Between removing the auto center space and the McDonald's space, they have enough room to add fresh foods and expand order pickup capability.

The Scotiabank at 1 Victoria has a sign up that they're closing June 2, consolidating everything in the King/Ontario branch. Can't say I'm surprised, I never thought two Scotiabank locations so close to each other made much sense these days.
(03-19-2021, 01:59 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The Scotiabank at 1 Victoria has a sign up that they're closing June 2, consolidating everything in the King/Ontario branch. Can't say I'm surprised, I never thought two Scotiabank locations so close to each other made much sense these days.

Well, I agree that it doesn't make much sense, it is strange that they would open it in the first place, then close it. If anything I would have expected the old location to close.
(03-19-2021, 02:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 01:59 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The Scotiabank at 1 Victoria has a sign up that they're closing June 2, consolidating everything in the King/Ontario branch. Can't say I'm surprised, I never thought two Scotiabank locations so close to each other made much sense these days.

Well, I agree that it doesn't make much sense, it is strange that they would open it in the first place, then close it. If anything I would have expected the old location to close.

The 1 Victoria location is really quite small, they would not be able to accommodate the entire downtown staff there.
(03-19-2021, 02:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 02:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Well, I agree that it doesn't make much sense, it is strange that they would open it in the first place, then close it. If anything I would have expected the old location to close.

The 1 Victoria location is really quite small, they would not be able to accommodate the entire downtown staff there.

So what were they thinking when they opened it?
(03-19-2021, 03:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 02:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The 1 Victoria location is really quite small, they would not be able to accommodate the entire downtown staff there.

So what were they thinking when they opened it?

That's what I wonder, too!
(03-19-2021, 03:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 03:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: So what were they thinking when they opened it?

That's what I wonder, too!

Maybe they were thinking that they'd get a lot of business from new mortgage clients.

Wasn’t it a ScotiaBank Solitions essentially Teller Machines with someone there to help with other services. Not a full branch.

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,10245,00.html
I imagine it relied on pre-pandemic walk-in numbers; now that most such consultations are virtual/remote, it's obsolete.
Wine Rack in DTK is no more. The sign is still up, but the interior has been stripped down. No sign on the door to indicate closing, though, neither permanent nor temporary.

On the upside, the former bible mission shop on Scott St has a new tenant. Based on the signage, it looks like it'll be mostly middle eastern products.

I saw on Twitter that the Wine Rack couldn't survive both the new LCBO opening and the pandemic.
(03-31-2021, 08:43 PM)KevinL Wrote: I saw on Twitter that the Wine Rack couldn't survive both the new LCBO opening and the pandemic.

The LCBO surely had an impact: it's a much nicer store than the old one, slightly bigger, more visible to the street -- and much closer to the Wine Rack.

But I would have thought that the pandemic would be increasing the retail sales of alcohol since bars and restaurants are closed ...
(03-31-2021, 08:43 PM)KevinL Wrote: I saw on Twitter that the Wine Rack couldn't survive both the new LCBO opening and the pandemic.
The one advantage of the Wine Rack is that it was open later than the LCBO or the Beer Store.

(03-31-2021, 10:17 PM)Acitta Wrote:
The one advantage of the Wine Rack is that it was open later than the LCBO or the Beer Store.

But has less selection...
(03-31-2021, 10:53 PM)plam Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 10:17 PM)Acitta Wrote: The one advantage of the Wine Rack is that it was open later than the LCBO or the Beer Store.

But has less selection...

Late at night it has more selection.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »