Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Market Flats | 7 fl | Completed
(03-09-2021, 05:46 PM)plam Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 05:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: New City and BT are within a few blocks of the market, though, so you can hit them on the same trip.

I picked a random example off the top of my head, which is indeed a bad example. Let's say pasta instead? I can't remember being able to buy pasta at the market.

You can get pasta at Bolero Pizza and Pasta house. They have a spot downstairs where they sell pizza dough, pasta and fresh orange juice. They also have a restaurant upstairs. I buy the pizza dough often but the pasta is good too. It's not FRESH fresh, but it still cooks in 2-3 minutes.

(03-11-2021, 09:48 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 05:46 PM)plam Wrote: I picked a random example off the top of my head, which is indeed a bad example. Let's say pasta instead? I can't remember being able to buy pasta at the market.

You can get pasta at Bolero Pizza and Pasta house. They have a spot downstairs where they sell pizza dough, pasta and fresh orange juice. They also have a restaurant upstairs. I buy the pizza dough often but the pasta is good too. It's not FRESH fresh, but it still cooks in 2-3 minutes.

Had not noticed that! Will check that out as it would be much more convenient than Vincenzo's.
(03-11-2021, 09:48 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 05:46 PM)plam Wrote: I picked a random example off the top of my head, which is indeed a bad example. Let's say pasta instead? I can't remember being able to buy pasta at the market.

Right, thanks. I guess it takes some work to think about what one can't get at the market. Which is perhaps in line with the original message. I have occasionally had the pizza but never bought uncooked pasta.
(03-10-2021, 12:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: I've seen first hand some of the material samples they've chosen. They seem like they'd come together to make the building look pretty good. Of course, I was just holding a small piece out of a material library, but it didn't feel cheap or anything. We'll have to see once things are all done. Either way, this is an improvement over the empty lot. Within 5 years this area is going to have such a different feel.

That's definitely encouraging.  Thanks for sharing.
Looking good now. Awaiting the cladding materials with interest.

Great shot!
(03-23-2021, 03:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Looking good now. Awaiting the cladding materials with interest.

This photo shows why this would be a dangerous spot for me to live...literally steps from Nova Era and their amazing custard tarts!

But seriously, I can only imagine that nearby restaurant and business owners are excited to see developments like this.

Insulation and some of the cladding is going up. This building is going to look really modern next to its neighbour.

[Image: Pm87AuE.jpg]
I've seen sale listings for both the building next door and Biba Boutique. It'll be interesting to see if anything eventually comes from that. I live in this general area and cannot get over the changes in just the few years we've lived here and there are still so many more to come.
(05-09-2021, 11:13 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: I've seen sale listings for both the building next door and Biba Boutique. It'll be interesting to see if anything eventually comes from that. I live in this general area and cannot get over the changes in just the few years we've lived here and there are still so many more to come.

I moved to this end of town the spring before they ripped up Charles St. for the LRT.

It's wild all the changes that have happened since then, I wish I had taken more photos. The road construction sucked at first and I was taking a different route to and from work almost everyday it seemed but the positive change that is happening now is really exciting to see.
(05-10-2021, 11:42 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 11:13 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: I've seen sale listings for both the building next door and Biba Boutique. It'll be interesting to see if anything eventually comes from that. I live in this general area and cannot get over the changes in just the few years we've lived here and there are still so many more to come.

I moved to this end of town the spring before they ripped up Charles St. for the LRT.

It's wild all the changes that have happened since then, I wish I had taken more photos. The road construction sucked at first and I was taking a different route to and from work almost everyday it seemed but the positive change that is happening now is really exciting to see.

I wish I had more pictures too. Even if they were just of the skyline. I was looking at the sunset last night, and being able to see DTK/Charlie West/Market Flats is such a major change. Eventually Drewlo will be visable too.
I've been documenting change in Cambridge this last year or two because I know when the LRT comes, it's going to become such a different city. Having photo, video and sound (and heck even sketches/paintings since most architects learn that in school too) documentation of this will be pretty important in the future. If you can, always keep your cameras ready and keep the files backed up!
Cladding is now on the back of the building, but not on the front yet. Is this aluminium?

That doesn't look good, which is a shame cuz I was optimistic ab this one
The trick is to assume everything will look atrocious in Waterloo Region, then be pleasantly surprised when it's not. There's less disappointment that way. Even when we are presented with seemingly okay looking proposals, they often turn out much worse in reality (Duke Tower, Charlie West etc).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »