Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Shannondale (née Electrohome, 152 Shanley St) | 8 fl | U/C
That's a rather longterm-looking "construction fence" ....

(11-01-2020, 10:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That's a rather longterm-looking "construction fence" ....

If they are targeting to have it ready by the end of 2023 or so (see post on previous page), that's probably two years of remediation work, and the fence looks appropriate for that, better than the usual chain-link.
(11-01-2020, 10:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That's a rather longterm-looking "construction fence" ....

My thoughts too.  That's a permanent fence if you ask me.
152 Shanley Street (Electrohome Site)
152 Shanley Street
Shannondale Developments

[Image: WnmItmY.png]

[Image: Thumbnail_619927.jpg]
This proposal is for the factory site at 152 Shanley Street (Google Maps).

Background

If you'll recall, this site has long gone unused. Back in the early 1990s a speculator bought it from a signage painting company. At the time the site held a large 4-storey factory dating back to the 1800s. 

The site is contaminated and the speculator (Andrew Spylo) let it sit unused for nearly 30 years. Taxes and maintenance were ignored and the site rotted while the city performed basic property maintenance and sent the owners the bill. They never responded or paid.

Then in 2017, the city took possession of the property and posted a 1.1 million dollar tax sale. This was to cover backtaxes, interest, everything that previous owner owed (and to hopefully find a developer to fix the crumbling building). There were no takers though, so the city wrote off everything except the bare minimum backtaxes and relisted for $422k in 2019. Spylo at this time used a loophole that allows the current absentee owner first dips on the sale, and "repurchased" the property for $422k, avoiding the remaining money owing to the city.

Eventually, the City ordered him to demolish the building as it had been neglected long enough to become unsafe (and previous orders to undertake repairs had been ignored). It's now a vacant lot. This had been avoided for a long time as the property was heritage designated, but it deteriorated to the point that an immediate order was issued in the interest of public safety.

Finally, in late 2019, Spylo sold the building to Shannondale in late 2019. Which is where we are now. They also own the neighbouring house (134 Shanley) and are including the property in the development.

Proposal

The Shannondale proposal is an 8-storey, residential building, with one level of parking beneath. The ground floor is to be double-height with mezzanine, with seven floors of residential units above.

The units:
  • 73 1-br Units (avg 573 sf)
  • 57 1-br+d units (avg 673 sf)
  • 42 2-br units (avg 839 sf)
  • 172 Total
  • 14 of the above to be street-accessed "townhouse" units

The parking (assuming change proposal is approved):
  • 111 Resident Spaces (required: 183)
  • 17 Visitor spaces (requried: 37)
  • 26 of the above to be EV
  • 16 of the above to be surface (behind the building, the rest underground)
  • 90 Long-term bike spaces
  • 6 visitor bike spaces

All plans, documents, etc can be found here

SITE PLAN
[Image: Snf136U.png]
Andrew Spylo is a greedy asshole and the worst "speculator" this city has ever had since he was too stupid to ever money off of this. Glad to see this is finally going to get something new.
(05-05-2021, 04:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: Andrew Spylo is a greedy asshole and the worst "speculator" this city has ever had since he was too stupid to ever money off of this. Glad to see this is finally going to get something new.

I'm triggered. The fact that he was able to buy it back at the tax sale after not paying the taxes is just asinine.

The Record Wrote:Over the years, Andrew Spylo has repeatedly failed to pay property taxes on the property, a contaminated former industrial site that has sat vacant for decades. In January, the property tax bill amounted to about $1.2 million.

The city filed a lien in 2011 for taxes owed, but took six years before it launched the first of its two efforts to recoup those taxes through a forced tax sale. The first sale, in 2017, failed when no bids met the minimum asking price. The second, in February, was cancelled after the owner paid the minimum asking price of $448,798.43. The move essentially allowed Andrew Spylo to retain the property by paying just 37 per cent of the taxes and interest he owed.

Full article. https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...-site.html or https://outline.com/GsbUbN

Edited to add: I didn't see this covered in the background already but I'm leaving it here anyway.

Would it be too much to ask for a few three-bedroom units, and maybe something closer to 1000 square feet?
8-storey apartment building slated for former Electrohome site in Kitchener

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hener.html

I don't have access to the Record, but it looks like this is slowly moving forward

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-29-2021, 12:14 PM)LesPio Wrote: I don't have access to the Record, but it looks like this is slowly moving forward

https://outline.com/8sZHp9
(07-29-2021, 12:14 PM)LesPio Wrote: 8-storey apartment building slated for former Electrohome site in Kitchener

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hener.html

I don't have access to the Record, but it looks like this is slowly moving forward
Install the Cookie AutoDelete plugin into your browser.
Now we can sit back and wait for the NIMBY’s to come out in full force and demand they build a park instead.
(07-29-2021, 07:22 PM)jeffster Wrote: Now we can sit back and wait for the NIMBY’s to come out in full force and demand they build a park instead.
"The city held meetings with neighbours and, together, a “vision statement” was created for the property.

Pinchin said the vision statement was helpful to understand what the neighbourhood hoped for the project. He said the proposed development includes suggestions from the vision statement such as the L-shape, parking below and at the rear and similar heights."

“(S)imilar heights” to what?
(07-29-2021, 07:22 PM)jeffster Wrote: Now we can sit back and wait for the NIMBY’s to come out in full force and demand they build a park instead.

You mean like this one?
"I have lived in the downtown core for my entire life and I have seen many changes, most of them detrimental. … Any character that we had downtown has been replaced by pawnshops and restaurants."

Do they miss all the dive bars and strip clubs from before Kitchener and the Region started trying to revitalise DTK?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »