Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
At the moment, we're just over 70% vaccinated in Ontario, without a single lottery ticket or free beer having been handed out. And we are still vaccinating a steady 0.8-0.9% of the population (this is all first shots) per week, and we have buses and other outreach efforts starting up. I am confident that we'll reach 75% before the end of August. And 75% of the total population is about 86% of the eligible population, well within reach of the 90% reach target. Then, little kids in the fall.

We are only around 55% for the second shots, but that's going up by almost 1% per day. The pace will drop as the recent 1st-vaccine recipients won't be eligible quite yet, but I'm not seeing any signs of significant 1st/2nd shot drop-off. The US is stuck with well over 10% of the first-shot recipients not getting the second one, though.

All that said, I think we will still need some combination of masking, distancing and capacity limitations for another three to six months yet, if we want to keep things from getting out of hand.

(07-22-2021, 07:47 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 06:41 PM)plam Wrote: Quebec is having a COVID lottery: cash prizes for those who have been vaccinated. Other fun facts about Quebec: the delta percentage is estimated at 5%.

Interesting. I didn't know Québec was doing that. I know some US states were doing such things but I wasn't aware of anywhere in Canada doing it. In the US, they've had million dollar jackpots if you got vaccinated. Some states/counties were even offering the chance to win trucks, college scholarships, savings bonds and outright just giving away free guns...the trucks and guns being hilariously American. I hope we don't get to that point, though...even if it helps. We shouldn't have to bribe people to be decent human beings. So far it seems like our citizens are sensible enough to take it at least. Those still hesitant may be swayed as time goes on and they see they're safe. As for the conspiracy theorists, they're likely unreachable no matter what.

POGG > PoLLH.
(07-22-2021, 12:10 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 10:35 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Finally, is it too much to ask that members of this forum not channel that idiot of idiots, Tucker Carlson?

Funny, I don’t watch Fox, but I do CNN. While I have no issue with people asking if I had my a vaccine, I have found that some that believe it’s none of ‘your f’n business’. These people, btw, very liberal and very left politically, more so than most.

Not a cool accusation, though.

I was referring to a specific Tucker Carlsonism, and I’m sorry for assuming you had heard him say it and were following him. He has responded to the question of whether he has been vaccinated (almost certainly “yes”, since he knows how to take care of himself even though he doesn’t care about the rubes) by asking the questioner when they last had intercourse and in what position. Your last sentence (“Sort of like how you wouldn’t go up to someone asking when the last time they had sex with their spouse or SO.”) sounded a lot like that to me.

I looked for a video clip but can’t find it.

Anyway, it’s a grossly inappropriate comparison regardless of who is making it. Enquiring about vaccine status is a reasonable component of staying safe, and lying in response to the question or even being offended about it is a component of assisting the virus to spread and both mark one as being pro-virus.
(07-22-2021, 11:11 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: Simply having massive groupthink and one train of thought isnt productive its harmful to society. Just as is people's current inability to engage with those who hold different viewpoints.

Refusing to give lies the respect they don’t deserve is not “groupthink”. And I have no problem engaging with people of a different viewpoint; but I do get cranky when interacting with people who are, or appear to be, promoting pro-virus positions. The idea that it is inappropriate to enquire about vaccination status clearly falls in this category.

The Earth is round; the Sun is bright; Covid is dangerous; and the vaccines are safe and effective. Anybody who says otherwise on any of these points is arguing in bad faith and will get no respect from me.

(I was going to say “lying” instead of “arguing in bad faith” but it actually is technically possible for someone to studiously avoid learning the truth and avoid saying something they know to be false)
(07-22-2021, 09:58 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Refusing to give lies the respect they don’t deserve is not “groupthink”. And I have no problem engaging with people of a different viewpoint; but I do get cranky when interacting with people who are, or appear to be, promoting pro-virus positions. The idea that it is inappropriate to enquire about vaccination status clearly falls in this category.

The Earth is round; the Sun is bright; Covid is dangerous; and the vaccines are safe and effective. Anybody who says otherwise on any of these points is arguing in bad faith and will get no respect from me.

(I was going to say “lying” instead of “arguing in bad faith” but it actually is technically possible for someone to studiously avoid learning the truth and avoid saying something they know to be false)

There was a website, online for about a week “safetodo.ca” that had lists of places that had fully vaccinated employees. The idea was that for those of us that are vaccinated, and perhaps have family that aren’t (kids under 12), these would be great establishments to go to.

Sadly, it had to be shut down as a result of anti-vaxxer movements.

Even in my employers (Thankfully, not my workplace) we have some anti-vaxxers, they are not blue collar workers though, they, for the most part, are getting their shot. But some actually studied at Harvard and Yale, the best schools. And of course, those those working around them are not so sure.

Though some of the problems still lie with the narrative from the government, and anti-vaxxers pick up on this all of the time. Great example I heard: gov’t PHAC -> Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are identical and can be mixed and matched -> anti-vaxxer -> if that’s true, when can’t Moderna be given to 12-17 year olds like Pfizer? -> industry and other countries -> we won’t accept you if you don’t have two valid doses of the same type.

The information out there is confusing enough. That’s all an anti-vaxxer needs to peddle their BS.
(07-22-2021, 09:58 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 11:11 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: Simply having massive groupthink and one train of thought isnt productive its harmful to society. Just as is people's current inability to engage with those who hold different viewpoints.

Refusing to give lies the respect they don’t deserve is not “groupthink”. And I have no problem engaging with people of a different viewpoint; but I do get cranky when interacting with people who are, or appear to be, promoting pro-virus positions. The idea that it is inappropriate to enquire about vaccination status clearly falls in this category.

I am in full agreement with this. However, regardless of my personal beliefs I dont think asking for vaccination status falls under the same umbrella as the earth being round and the sun being bright. 

Canada also is not the united states at this point, and I think we need to stop using them as our barometer. We dont have the same amount of extremism or idiots and rational discussion for disagreements, including the merits of things like requesting vaccination status and vaccine passports should be debated. I myself am guilty of not engaging in discussions with people and lost a few people who were otherwise really good friends, for supporting trump. 

On the other hand, being someone who identifies as a centrist, I often feel afraid to share my opinion in left and far left wing circles as well as right and far right circles regardless of how well thought out, reason or researched it is. Especially because if I do I'll often get ridiculed, ignored, banned for not conforming sometimes, or lectured about how I'm an idiot. Its rather dejecting.
Current 7-day Covid-19 cases per 100k

• Grey Bruce Health Unit 61.8
• Porcupine Health Unit 27.6
• Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 21.9
• North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit 17.0
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 14.2
• Huron Perth Public Health 10.7

• Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit 8.5
• Middlesex-London Health Unit 8.3
• Southwestern Public Health 8.0
• Durham Region Health Department 8.0

• Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit 0.-5

• TOTAL ONTARIO 7.5

COVID-19 hospitalizations decrease for 'first time in recent memory' in Waterloo region: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.6113342

To boost COVID-19 vaccine confidence, officials reach out to Waterloo region's community leaders: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.6112950
bFRIDAY 2021-07-23

Waterloo Region reported 14 new cases for today (9.0% of the active cases) and one more for yesterday for 18; 131 new cases for the week (-4 from yesterday and -42 from last week), averaging 9.7% of active cases. 152 active cases, -74 in the last seven days.

An average of 730 tests/day for the past seven days -- still dropping -- for a positivity rate of 2.56%.

5,626 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 5,593 (previous week was 8,599). 66.58% of total regional population vaccinated (+0.11% today, +0.81% from 7 days ago), 51.57% fully vaccinated (+0.81% today, +5.54% from 7 days ago). 

Ontario reported 192 new cases today with a seven-day average of 160 (+4), compared to 151 a week ago, no longer dropping. 147 recoveries and one death translated to an increase of 44 active cases and a new total of 1,407. +4 active cases for the week and 23 deaths (three per day). 19,757 tests with a positivity rate of 0.97%. The positivity rate is averaging 0.95% for the past seven days, substantially higher than the 0.67% for the preceding seven. 105 patients in ICU (-5 today, -14 for the week) with COVID-19.

New case variants reported today (these are substantially delayed so they do not match the new case numbers):
  • Alpha (B.1.1.7): 127
  • Beta (B.1.351): 6
  • Delta (B.1.617): 131 (62% of variants over the past 10 days)
  • Gamma (P.1): 34
120,231 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 130,561 (previous week was 170,708). 70.31% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.11% from yesterday, +0.79% from 7 days ago), 56.90% fully vaccinated (+0.70% from yesterday, +5.41% from 7 days ago). 
  • 18 cases in Waterloo: 2.9 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
  • 3 cases in Chatham-Kent: 2.8 per 100K
  • 11 cases in Hamilton: 1.9 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 1.9 per 100K
  • 25 cases in Peel: 1.8 per 100K
  • 11 cases in Durham: 1.7 per 100K
  • 18 cases in York: 1.6 per 100K
  • 43 cases in Toronto: 1.5 per 100K
  • 1 cases in Northwestern: 1.1 per 100K
  • 5 cases in Niagara: 1.1 per 100K
  • 4 cases in Windsor-Essex: 1.0 per 100K
  • 1 cases in Huron Perth: 1.0 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Ottawa: 1.0 per 100K
UK covid numbers beginning to decline again. Is it possible they have reached a level of immunity that will see covid slowly decline due to a combination of natural immunity + vaccinations?
(07-23-2021, 12:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: COVID-19 hospitalizations decrease for 'first time in recent memory' in Waterloo region: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.6113342

To boost COVID-19 vaccine confidence, officials reach out to Waterloo region's community leaders: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.6112950

I saw this on another site...

Some of the best practices for low-barrier vaccination have been

Quote:• select a safe space
• select a central location
• surveillance free environment
• reach out to diverse populations i.e. Amish, Indigenous, etc. to develop unique strategies
• ensure trusted people are on site to provide support and encouragement
• provide clinics in rural locations outside major towns and cities
• walk-in clinics (no appointment)
• drive-thru clinics (no appointment)
• pop-up clinics at locations where people gather i.e. markets, food banks, social housing complexes, etc.
• no requirement of proof of identification
• no requirement of health card
• no proof of address or postal code
• paper free process is best but if still being collected
o allow people to complete forms in advance with support from staff/volunteers
o have forms available in multiple languages

All great ideas. This was from a roundtable in Grey-Bruce, as you know, they are struggling (and to an extent, we still are).
(07-23-2021, 03:09 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: UK covid numbers beginning to decline again. Is it possible they have reached a level of immunity that will see covid slowly decline due to a combination of natural immunity + vaccinations?

Difficult to say. Possibly the Delta variant is starting to run its course. Hospitalizations seem to be rising still, though. The country of Wales is doing OK, but the other countries, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland have similar number per population. ,
(07-23-2021, 02:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Ontario reported 192 new cases today with a seven-day average of 160 (+4), compared to 151 a week ago, no longer dropping. 147 recoveries and one death translated to an increase of 44 active cases and a new total of 1,407.

I think todays numbers are skewed again due to "data clean-up". Numbers reported tomorrow and Sunday should be lower.

(07-23-2021, 08:41 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: I am in full agreement with this. However, regardless of my personal beliefs I dont think asking for vaccination status falls under the same umbrella as the earth being round and the sun being bright. 

Yes, I agree there actually is something to discuss here. As someone who thinks the question is fine, I nevertheless don’t want “Hi, how are you?” to be replaced by “Hi, when was your vaccination?”.

What I’m complaining about is the comparison of the vaccination question with questions about the details of others’ intimate lives. To the extent that a question about social conventions can be factual, I think it’s safe to say that the vaccination question is, factually, not in the same invasive league. And most people (or at least the most prominent, Tucker Carlson) who claim it is are those who also make dishonest claims about Covid and vaccination themselves, so I can be forgiven for thinking that somebody else shares those views as well.
(07-23-2021, 05:53 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-23-2021, 08:41 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: I am in full agreement with this. However, regardless of my personal beliefs I dont think asking for vaccination status falls under the same umbrella as the earth being round and the sun being bright. 

Yes, I agree there actually is something to discuss here. As someone who thinks the question is fine, I nevertheless don’t want “Hi, how are you?” to be replaced by “Hi, when was your vaccination?”.

What I’m complaining about is the comparison of the vaccination question with questions about the details of others’ intimate lives. To the extent that a question about social conventions can be factual, I think it’s safe to say that the vaccination question is, factually, not in the same invasive league. And most people (or at least the most prominent, Tucker Carlson) who claim it is are those who also make dishonest claims about Covid and vaccination themselves, so I can be forgiven for thinking that somebody else shares those views as well.

You seem to watch a lot of Carlson -- didn't he get the vaccine?

Either way, one has to take American media, be it CNN or Fox, with a grain of salt, as it's more 'entertainment and drama' than news. I can't watch Fox, even though I am more 'central' on the political scale, at least compared to CNN, but Fox is crazy. The prime time line-up with CNN gets out of control as well. I love those guys, but they all need to be medicated.

As for the comparison I made, this is what I have heard over and over again. I couldn't have made that up myself. That said, I don't disagree with it, at least if it comes to random strangers. Would you be OK if you were out with your family or SO and someone came up to you and asked if you(s) were vaccinated? I think it's one thing if it's a business that has a mandate, and that has been clearly established, but otherwise, I don't think so.

That said, no one has asked me yet, other than someone in a medical office, who was 'shocked' that myself and 2 kids have been vaccinated. It was almost like vaccine shaming. This hasn't been from far right wing extremists, but rather left-wing nuts.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »