Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Boathouse
After a long pause this summer, renovation work has again been going on at the "new Boathouse".  I believe they are still planning for an opening in October, but I haven't heard anything lately.  I will be interested to see how (whether?) this place evolves as a music venue.  Too bad they missed the patio season this year - it's going to be nice place to enjoy a cold one next summer!

A birdie whispered in my ear that the opening will be Novemberish, and they're considering making it a soft opening for private events (Christmas parties, etc.)

I also heard word about problems with electrical supply to the building not being to code, that the city has to deal with.
I believe one of the Craftoberfest events is at the Boathouse.
I thought that the Victoria Park Pavillion might have made a good Craftoberfest venue, but I suppose noise would be an issue for the nearby homes.
zanate Wrote:A birdie whispered in my ear that the opening will be Novemberish, and they're considering making it a soft opening for private events (Christmas parties, etc.)

I also heard word about problems with electrical supply to the building not being to code, that the city has to deal with.

Little birdie spoke truth. Trust little birdie.

Boathouse to reopen in November: http://www.therecord.com/news-story/488 ... -november/
Now sometime in December:

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4979...-december/
There was a short piece on CKCO news tonight on progress at The Boathouse.  Looked like a fair bit of interior work still to be done. They are planning to have a picnic basket service for people who want to picnic in the Park, which should be a nice feature next summer.

I can't believe such a small building would really take all this time to renovate. Based on the few times I've been to imbibe I don't think I'm going to really frequent the new boathouse as often as I used to go to the old one. I hope they do well regardless.
Much of the delay was apparently caused by the electricals. The Boathouse supplies the whole park and they needed to order a new transformer to provide enough power for the expanded restaurant. Took months, according to the report.
(11-16-2014, 07:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There was a short piece on CKCO news tonight on progress at The Boathouse.  Looked like a fair bit of interior work still to be done. They are planning to have a picnic basket service for people who want to picnic in the Park, which should be a nice feature next summer.

There was a photo in the record recently that looked very similar, lots of work to do inside.
The Boathouse is starting to announce concerts for December - there's a weekly Wednesday night folk series starting December 17th that's hosted by Richard Garvey, with Craig Cardiff appearing at the first one.

And Maxwell's Music House is opening December 12th, starting to see some small concerts announced already. Hopefully with two new active venues, 2015 will be a turning point for live music in KW.
That's great news about the folk nights. I wish that one of the local pubs would make folk/traditional music a nightly feature. It would be a lot of fun!
Posters are up for a performer at The Boathous on December 17th. The final inspection is supposed to be on December 6th, so I thinking it will be open by the 10th.

CBC reports that The Boathouse opened on the weekend. Still waiting for its liquor licence.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.2897125
(01-12-2015, 05:48 PM)panamaniac Wrote: CBC reports that The Boathouse opened on the weekend.  Still waiting for its liquor licence.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.2897125

Yes - we had brunch at the Boathouse on Sunday. The food was quite good and it looks great inside.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »