Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
I found some newer renders of this project  on the City of Kitchener Website:
http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaVie...a_id=52708

http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaVie...a_id=52706
I don't think that these renders have been posted before.

These are definitely better than the initial renders. Hopefully, the buildings will look even better when built!

Does anyone know the architect of this project? There was a logo on a blurry site plan from earlier but I cannot read what it says.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-07-2019, 03:24 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: I found some newer renders of this project  on the City of Kitchener Website:
http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaVie...a_id=52708

http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaVie...a_id=52706
I don't think that these renders have been posted before.

These are definitely better than the initial renders. Hopefully, the buildings will look even better when built!

Does anyone know the architect of this project? There was a logo on a blurry site plan from earlier but I cannot read what it says.

I could do without the dated “hats” on the towers, but I like the looks of the King St street facade.
(08-07-2019, 07:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I could do without the dated “hats” on the towers, but I like the looks of the King St street facade.

I like the covered portico! Now if that could just be standard, instead of something that happens occasionally when somebody thinks of it…

Like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/dDzya6QvpKZMBqPB9

Wander around a bit - it goes for kilometres, including a covered path out into the country that ends at the Santuario Madonna di San Luca.
(08-07-2019, 09:38 PM)Iijmorlan Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 07:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I could do without the dated “hats” on the towers, but I like the looks of the King St street facade.

I like the covered portico! Now if that could just be standard, instead of something that happens occasionally when somebody thinks of it…

Like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/dDzya6QvpKZMBqPB9

Wander around a bit - it goes for kilometres, including a covered path out into the country that ends at the Santuario Madonna di San Luca.

One recalls that, years ago, most stores along King St had permanent or retractable awnings. It was especially appreciated along the “north” side of the street, which gets oppressively hot on sunny summer days.
So glad they upgraded the design of this from the original
Updated design is much better. I see 14 & 18 story towers atop a 5 story podium. So have the overall heights increased to 23 & 19?
(08-07-2019, 03:24 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: Does anyone know the architect of this project? There was a logo on a blurry site plan from earlier but I cannot read what it says.

Moffat Kinoshita Architects. They're not very well known...most of their work has been modest civic buildings throughout Canada, primarily in Ontario.

(08-08-2019, 03:25 PM)JJTL Wrote: Updated design is much better. I see 14 & 18 story towers atop a 5 story podium. So have the overall heights increased to 23 & 19?

Correct. 72 meters/23 floors for one tower, 60 meters/19 floors for the other.

It definitely looks like they will start the tower at King/Madison first, with the second tower starting later, possibly overlapped with the construction of the first one.

Here we go!
View from Cameron and King.

View from King and Madison.

I guess it won't be long now before we get another crane in the sky.....so glad that east-end DTK is getting some much needed attention.

We shall call this area, "East Village"....
LOVE THAT!
(08-09-2019, 09:57 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 03:24 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: Does anyone know the architect of this project? There was a logo on a blurry site plan from earlier but I cannot read what it says.

Moffat Kinoshita Architects. They're not very well known...most of their work has been modest civic buildings throughout Canada, primarily in Ontario.

(08-08-2019, 03:25 PM)JJTL Wrote: Updated design is much better. I see 14 & 18 story towers atop a 5 story podium. So have the overall heights increased to 23 & 19?

Correct. 72 meters/23 floors for one tower, 60 meters/19 floors for the other.

Were did you see that? The OAA sign on site says Marsh Katsios architect.

(08-21-2019, 10:52 AM)Lens Wrote: Were did you see that? The OAA sign on site says Marsh Katsios architect.

Perhaps it changed? Or they may have two architecture firms working on different parts. I haven't been to the site to see, so I was going by the data listed on Emporis.
kalis0490 Wrote:I created a drawing of what I think King St E will look like in the future when this project is finished (Also including some of the surrounding projects)

p.s. Does this project have a formal name?

Someone in another thread (I think DTK condos on Duke) had a neat satellite picture with 3d blocks of where all downtown projects will be...perhaps that same person can add these ones onto said pic...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »