Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannabis shops in Waterloo Region
(08-10-2020, 01:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 12:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Wait, it’s fully open now? Anybody can meet some requirements and open a store? If so this may be a more interesting story.

Basically, yes. But you forgot "a lot of patience" as one of the prerequisites!

Touché! I wonder if a little of the good stuff can help with that? Tongue

I wonder how business is at the local stores.
Several weed retailers have rented DTK premises in recent months for new shops, no?
(09-09-2020, 12:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Several weed retailers have rented DTK premises in recent months for new shops, no?

Five retailers in DTK, if I recall correctly. Three of them already have signage up, but their paperwork is still "in progress".
How did Kitchener get authorization to add 5 more dispensaries? I thought they had that draw and Kitchener got one - whereas a small town was showcased getting 3.

What's that shop in Uptown Waterloo? Also a dispensary across from Famoso?
(09-09-2020, 06:32 PM)Momo26 Wrote: How did Kitchener get authorization to add 5 more dispensaries? I thought they had that draw and Kitchener got one - whereas a small town was showcased getting 3.

They haven't been using the lottery system for some time. Anyone who can meet the criteria is able to apply for a license.

The current system is described at: https://www.agco.ca/cannabis/how-apply-r...or-licence
The lottery system didn't work to begin with

Agreed. Although the current system also moves at a snail's pace.
We’re off-topic, but how many licences are pending in Waterloo? I know that some of the larger retailers were eager to locate close to universities.
(09-10-2020, 11:27 AM)panamaniac Wrote: We’re off-topic, but how many licences are pending in Waterloo?  I know that some of the larger retailers were eager to locate close to universities.

Eight applications "in progress" in the city of Waterloo, plus one in the public notice period. Kitchener is 10+2, Cambridge is 7+1.

https://www.agco.ca/status-current-canna...plications
How does everyone feel about this many weed retail outlets? Essentially now they can be looked at like alcohol - a legal controlled substance right.
As opposed to more outlets, or to fewer? Since the legal market is not yet fully established, it’s hard to know, istm.
Since the decision was made to go with private retail outlets (rather than LCBO), I don't see any reason to limit them. The applications will dry up once there are enough to meet the demand -- just like for bars.

I think with that many there will only be a few that make it long term. Although I don't know how much demand there is.
(09-11-2020, 12:57 PM)Spokes Wrote: I think with that many there will only be a few that make it long term.  Although I don't know how much demand there is.

While I don't partake, everytime I'm in uptown, I see people constantly coming and going from the one there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »