Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-04-2015, 07:35 AM)Canard Wrote:
(09-02-2015, 10:16 AM)timio Wrote: Interesting to see that only one set of tracks was laid across Seagram during the closure.

I have a hunch that this has to do with the close proximity of the Seagram (Waterloo Park) station to the road:

Remember that stations along the spur will have Gauntlet Tracks, and perhaps the crews don't have the equipment (switch components, wide ties, non-standard road decking plates) on-site yet to install these. Note that no switches up at the OMSF have been installed yet either.

I had also been wondering why only one track was installed at Seagram. What you says sounds reasonable. I wonder where the more northerly of the two gauntlet track switches at Seagram will be. In particular, I wonder whether it will be North or South of the road, and therefore whether there will be gauntlet track in the crossing.

I think you’re not quite right about switches at the OMSF: I believe there is a single switch joining the permanent track to the existing relocated track near the North end of the OMSF property. I haven’t looked at it up close so I don’t know if it is new components or old ones. I believe some of the photos posted her show the switch in the background.

(09-04-2015, 07:35 AM)Canard Wrote: I have a hunch that this has to do with the close proximity of the Seagram (Waterloo Park) station to the road:

Remember that stations along the spur will have Gauntlet Tracks, and perhaps the crews don't have the equipment (switch components, wide ties, non-standard road decking plates) on-site yet to install these. Note that no switches up at the OMSF have been installed yet either.

According to the design in the Project Agreement (C-PP-030), looks like the Gauntlet track starts mid-crossing.  Also, due to the proximity of the station, the tracks are slightly further apart in this location to come in either side.

[Image: oejSguA.png]
So heavy rail will be on the southbound track at least as far south as Seagram, but at some point before the spur, farther south of Seagram, it will "hop" over to and use the northbound track, so it can split off from the northbound track at the spur?
The latest (public) drawings have the crossover happening next to the Clay & Glass gallery
The Erb/Caroline intersection looks like it will be a more complex job than any of the spur crossings so far.  By the looks of things, they'll need to re-align the entire Spur line through the parking lot including the King Street crossing at Waterloo Town Square.  No sign on the Region's upcoming closures page as to when this might happen.

[Image: wbwF5fB.jpg]
(09-04-2015, 08:54 AM)timio Wrote: According to the design in the Project Agreement (C-PP-030), looks like the Gauntlet track starts mid-crossing.  Also, due to the proximity of the station, the tracks are slightly further apart in this location to come in either side.

That’s very interesting. I hadn’t really looked at that closely. I’ll be interested to see if they really put the points in the road, or if they go outside. It certainly is possible to put points in the road, but I suspect it is not preferred. One purpose of gauntlet track is to avoid having points in a crossing — have the tracks converge in the road, but stay shifted by just a few inches (rail width plus flange space) until the other side of the road and put the points there.
(09-04-2015, 03:59 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: That’s very interesting. I hadn’t really looked at that closely. I’ll be interested to see if they really put the points in the road, or if they go outside. It certainly is possible to put points in the road, but I suspect it is not preferred. One purpose of gauntlet track is to avoid having points in a crossing — have the tracks converge in the road, but stay shifted by just a few inches (rail width plus flange space) until the other side of the road and put the points there.

The split for the gauntlet tracks clearly begins just north of Seagram.  Not in the middle of the road.  Note where the image says "PS GAUNTLET"

(09-04-2015, 08:54 AM)timio Wrote: [Image: oejSguA.png]

The gauntlet track would also explain why they didn't do the second track at the UW service entrance. They're doing the complicated trackwork sometime later.

In other news, there is asphalt on Caroline between Allen and Alexandra with the exception of the William intersection.
(09-04-2015, 04:18 PM)Markster Wrote:
(09-04-2015, 03:59 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: That’s very interesting. I hadn’t really looked at that closely. I’ll be interested to see if they really put the points in the road, or if they go outside. It certainly is possible to put points in the road, but I suspect it is not preferred. One purpose of gauntlet track is to avoid having points in a crossing — have the tracks converge in the road, but stay shifted by just a few inches (rail width plus flange space) until the other side of the road and put the points there.

The split for the gauntlet tracks clearly begins just north of Seagram.  Not in the middle of the road.  Note where the image says "PS GAUNTLET"

(09-04-2015, 08:54 AM)timio Wrote: [Image: oejSguA.png]

The gauntlet track would also explain why they didn't do the second track at the UW service entrance.  They're doing the complicated trackwork sometime later.

Yes, but the points have some nontrivial length to them. Also, there should be a sidewalk beside the road, which is not shown on the plan. My default expectation would be that the points would be at least a little separated from all paved areas. Remember that is the RFP drawing, not the actual design itself.

Another reason I speculate the on-campus crossings do not have two tracks yet (although they have signs for two tracks!) may that they are less concerned with keeping them open. I suspect when the track-laying crews come through they’ll just close each crossing again for however long is needed whenever it is needed. Whereas at this point I don’t expect to see Columbia, for example, closed other than briefly for barrier installation and other relatively minor details.
A couple interesting structures seem to have been poured at the Kitchener Market station site (under the white tarps with fencing around). Also, lots more rail!

[Image: BB0cGYt.jpg]
Are those the same sections that have been there for a few weeks, or did another delivery show up recently? I'd be surprised if it's new, since the Holland crew would have to move all their stuff back over there from Borden/Courtland. Would make sense to do it all once for each location then move on...
(09-04-2015, 05:23 PM)timio Wrote: In other news, there is asphalt on Caroline between Allen and Alexandra with the exception of the William intersection.

Photo from Friday afternoon.  Excuse the quality.

[Image: jo6BmKo.jpg]
Anyone going to check out the aBRT launch today?

(09-07-2015, 09:20 AM)Canard Wrote: Anyone going to check out the aBRT launch today?

Haha yeah! I also wanna check out the 204 today as well.
Many people seem to be very confused about the aBRT in Cambridge today. I overheard a couple comments about the bus operator "not knowing where he's going". Other than people being confused, I love the more direct route down Hespeler and the added stops. The stations look fantastic. Not sure if it actually is any faster, but it felt quicker getting from Pinebush to Cambridge Centre. It will be nice when they move the Cambridge Centre terminal in front of the mall along Hespeler so ION buses don't have to travel down Conestoga Blvd to get to Cambridge Centre.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »