Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Oops. Trains are (were?) down going southbound due to a foolish truck driver. 

[Image: eGbXZab.jpg]

I don't think that has ever happened there before.
Hard to see in this pic but it looks like the truck's arm wasn't fully retracted.
Looking forward to the Record blaming this on the LRT
local cambridge weirdo
(05-31-2023, 04:55 PM)KevinL Wrote: Hard to see in this pic but it looks like the truck's arm wasn't fully retracted.

Makes sense — I didn’t think the clearance was all that much lower than normal for a roadway. Does anybody know what the now-hilariously-destroyed Max Height sign said?
Is this kind of thing happening more often? Or am I just reading more news as I get older? I'm thinking of all the dump trucks in Southern Ontario who have run into signs and bridges with the lifts up, along with this. It seems much more incompetent than the usual regular citizens renting a UHaul and hitting a low bridge.

Part of Halls Lane has had a closure at an intersection, and on the first day a truck trying to maneuver its way out hit the building and conduit for my building's security cameras, knocking them out. The next day someone lightly hit my car leaving a decent scratch and paint, but I can't tell if it was another truck since the cameras were out. And finally today, less than 24 hours after asphalt was laid at the closure, a truck decided to remove the cones and drive right through it (didn't replace the cones after either, so he just decided for himself and everyone else that the road is now open!)

(05-31-2023, 08:19 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Makes sense — I didn’t think the clearance was all that much lower than normal for a roadway. Does anybody know what the now-hilariously-destroyed Max Height sign said?

4.35m / 14' 3"
(05-31-2023, 08:19 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-31-2023, 04:55 PM)KevinL Wrote: Hard to see in this pic but it looks like the truck's arm wasn't fully retracted.

Makes sense — I didn’t think the clearance was all that much lower than normal for a roadway. Does anybody know what the now-hilariously-destroyed Max Height sign said?

Max. Height: 4.35m / 14'-3"

24 hours later, ION is still out of service between Grand River and Market. Apparently they had a structural engineer out assessing the damage yesterday, so I wonder how long it will take to get the all-clear to resume service. A good example of how that stupid line split in DTK can turn what should be a minor issue into a major issue.

[Image: xsPu6vC.png]
Well if they ran both ways on Charles through downtown the issue would be the same.
It should have run down king street, but that ship has sailed unfortunately.
Yeah, doesn't seem like a split issue.

In fact, the split should allow them to run trains in reverse direction through downtown (perhaps with reduced frequencies), but I'm guessing they're not doing that because they're petrified of ... well..their own shadows but in this case, not unreasonably of drivers not looking the other way for trains.

That being said, please tell me the road is closed? If the road is not closed, then there is zero justification for the LRT being shut down.
(06-01-2023, 12:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That being said, please tell me the road is closed? If the road is not closed, then there is zero justification for the LRT being shut down.

The road is closed.

Yesterday morning they actually had the road closed but ION still operating.
I cant believe it isn't front and centre on The Record

I think train incidents stopped making the news because they're like a built in feature of the system now.
So how long did it take to get the bus bridge running this time, and how often is it running?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »