Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-20-2015, 06:02 AM)Canard Wrote: Everyone going to take one last trip up and down King this weekend? Smile

I still can't believe it's finally happening.

I for one am really getting hosed under the bus detour plan. The 4 got moved away last year, the 7 is further away, the 200 no longer has a stop worth heading to, and my route 6 to work got shifted so I have to walk almost 1.5km to get to it. And along with King being closed near my place, my own street also gets a sewer replacement this summer.

Not really looking forward to this part.

It'll be nice when it's done, but that's still 2 years out...

Look what I spotted in Hamilton last night!

[Image: KoBI3nau.jpg]
Love the cigarette butts and Tim's cup. It wouldn't be Ontario if we didn't have coffee shop litter everywhere. :|
I've always wondered what it is about smoking that turns people into such pigs. Every spring we get to look at ratty collections of wet butts. Blecch!
I've seen those vehicles in Milton too. Why do they need to advertise the GrandLinq name?
(03-21-2015, 04:31 PM)greybird Wrote: I've seen those vehicles in Milton too. Why do they need to advertise the GrandLinq name?

My guess is that they're employees commuting home or to a home office.
(03-20-2015, 02:46 PM)zanate Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 06:02 AM)Canard Wrote: Everyone going to take one last trip up and down King this weekend? Smile

I still can't believe it's finally happening.

I for one am really getting hosed under the bus detour plan. The 4 got moved away last year, the 7 is further away, the 200 no longer has a stop worth heading to, and my route 6 to work got shifted so I have to walk almost 1.5km to get to it. And along with King being closed near my place, my own street also gets a sewer replacement this summer.

...so what you're saying is, now is the time - not from a convenience but from a possible discount perspective - to consider buying/renting in the neighbourhood?

(03-23-2015, 07:10 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 02:46 PM)zanate Wrote: I for one am really getting hosed under the bus detour plan. The 4 got moved away last year, the 7 is further away, the 200 no longer has a stop worth heading to, and my route 6 to work got shifted so I have to walk almost 1.5km to get to it. And along with King being closed near my place, my own street also gets a sewer replacement this summer.

...so what you're saying is, now is the time - not from a convenience but from a possible discount perspective - to consider buying/renting in the neighbourhood?

That's likely true of anywhere in town with residential properties within easy walking distance of a station.  I think there are even some bargains to be had - you can still find decent SFHs with large lots within 5 minutes walk of the Mill and Borden/Ottawa stations, for example, for well below $300,000.  I doubt that that will still be the case in a couple of years, if ion works its magic.
Is King Street actually closed today? I'm hearing many people say it's still open with cars going through.
I don't know about King, but Charles St is apparently closed today.
(03-23-2015, 07:10 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 02:46 PM)zanate Wrote: << moaning about buses > >

No, I'm pretty sure *you* are saying that. Smile I was moaning about buses.

Still, if you're thinking of finding a house in a central location, I'd be looking at doing it now. There is always a housing crash coming: next year, or the year after next, or ten years down the road. But KW is still growing, still thriving, and not manufacturing any more central prewar neighbourhoods full of detached homes.

We've been in the Mount Hope-Breithaupt Park area for 6 years now, about 600m from the LRT (with an unlit cemetery inbetween, mind you) and I'm pretty sure I could get 20-25% more on our home.
Had a look at Charles St today - it's closed from Benton to at least Stirling, but not a lot of actual activity happening. Looks like the water mains will be the first project, temporary pipe is going onto the lawns of houses.
The Record has a brief story describing some of the accommodations to ensure that pedestrians, cyclists, and in some cases, cars, can still access various properties along the construction route.

A KCI teacher said the stairs in front of KCI are going to be demolished next week. it's the only thing I don't like about the Ion.
The end result doesn't look too bad to me.  (Source)

[Image: xfVCGM8.jpg]

[Image: AMHmNbm.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »