Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Some horrible, myth perpetuating, fear instilling reporting locally:
Could LRT crash in Calgary happen here?

I guess the dozens of vehicular crashes in Calgary that day (and every day) did not warrant concern? Or the average one pedestrian hit by a vehicle per day?

Never mind that LRT is an order of magnitude and then some (30x) safer than passenger vehicles in fatalities per unit of travel (7.28 death per billion passenger miles vs. 0.24). Oh and unlike passenger vehicles, transit crash rates per capita decline with increased users.

All just facts getting in the way of a good click bait.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Oh that's rich. Hah!

I'm surprised they haven't clued in about Houston.

All part of the fun with Light Rail.
I believe statistically Houston is somewhat of an outlier on LRT collisions. I do hope that things run smoother in KW. I'm not sure *what* about Houston is different, but something is different there.
(09-27-2016, 05:50 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I guess the dozens of vehicular crashes in Calgary that day (and every day) did not warrant concern? Or the average one pedestrian hit by a vehicle per day?

Never mind that LRT is an order of magnitude and then some (30x) safer than passenger vehicles in fatalities per unit of travel (7.28 death per billion passenger miles vs. 0.24). Oh and unlike passenger vehicles, transit crash rates per capita decline with increased users.

All just facts getting in the way of a good click bait.

"Don't ride the dangerous old trains, take the safe old highways and get yourself killed."
I drove past the Ottawa/Mill intersection tonight, things seem to moving along nicely... there's a large stretch of chainlink fence running between the rails starting near Mill and going toward Borden, I assume to discourage people from crossing where the old path followed there. There are also some large crossing signals that have gone up over the Ottawa and railway crossing. Quite the change in that intersection.
The road in front of the gaukel station is completely torn up again! A gigantic pit in the middle of the road, was fairly deep too. Something wrong with utilities?
Oh dear. So much for Charles opening in full in the next few days.

(09-28-2016, 01:24 PM)GtwoK Wrote: The road in front of the gaukel station is completely torn up again! A gigantic pit in the middle of the road, was fairly deep too. Something wrong with utilities?

Not sure.  But it's definitely a big hole.

Pavement at King & Victoria:

Not so much yet toward the underpass:

Sidewalk at Manulife has also been dug up:

Some good news regarding deliveries from Bombardier:
Quote:Bombardier completes first delivery of horse-drawn omnibuses to TTC

TORONTO – After more than a century of delays, the TTC has received the new omnibuses it ordered to replace the aging wagons used on the Cabbagetown – St. Lawrence line.

“These new omnibuses will reduce congestion and commute times for the growing Irish communities of Corktown” said Pierre Lemieux, spokesperson for the company’s Transportation for the Americas division. “While of course we regret the delays, these omnibuses will afford commuters more time to spend with their families and at work in the abattoir.”
I'm not that OCD, but it always makes me frustrated when freshly paved road gets cut up and end up looking all patched up.
(09-28-2016, 03:15 PM)ert86 Wrote: I'm not that OCD, but it always makes me frustrated when freshly paved road gets cut up and end up looking all patched up.

As long as they do it before the second coat, the end result will still end up looking fine.
According to a post on the Facebook group, forms are starting to go up for the platform at Mill station.

Hmmm, will try to check that out tomorrow morning!
Definitely not a small oops @ gaukel...

[Image: ak9Dd9bh.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »