Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-05-2016, 11:59 AM)Markster Wrote:
(10-05-2016, 11:47 AM)Canard Wrote: When doing this same left turn previously, I always questioned if I was allowed to turn Left on a Red, here, because it's One-way to One-way.  I vaguely remember this in driver's school as being "OK" but I hate doing it so I would never do it, and just wait for green.  The only times I've ever done it is when someone's behind me and I can see in my rear-view mirror that they're annoyed because I'm not turning, and then I'd very reluctantly do it.

It is absolutely legal!
I find excuses to do it whenever I can!  It's fun doing something out of the ordinary.
Also.... I may be that impatient person behind you.  Though, I try to keep my frustration contained inside, and not be a jerk.

The bike box being so far set back from the intersection seems to basically invite cars to drive through it and wait on the far side to try to make their left turn on red.

Quote:On a side note, as a cyclist, I would never feel comfortable using a Bike Box.  I'll always wait my turn in traffic.

Honestly, that bike box there feels particularly useless.  It is only useful for turning left from Caroline to Erb, but... where are these cyclists coming from that they would want to do that turn?  
*) If you're coming from the Laurel Trail, then the intersection already assumes you don't exist, as there is no sane(/legal) way to get to the bike box.
*) If you're coming down Caroline, then... you just came from Bridgeport? Why are you turning around? Shouldn't you be taking a different route to your destination?  
*) Did you come from Albert? There are less terrifying and hilly ways to get to King/Erb than going via Caroline.

Also, bikes don’t legally have to wait to turn left any more than cars do. They should be advancing far enough they can see traffic on Erb, and make the left as soon as it is safe to do so, regardless of the state of the traffic signal.

I will say I have occasionally been annoyed by somebody not realizing they should be attempting to make their turn. I think the issue is that we have very few left-turn-on-red locations in this city. In fact, I can’t think of any others. A place like Calgary is much different — their downtown is full of them.

Another elevated intersection shot from the Ion team...

[Image: 14543657_10154602986282959_6410092675272411074_o.jpg]
That U-Haul has GOT to go! ;
(10-05-2016, 11:43 AM)Markster Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 10:56 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: WRT to the left turn at the bike box.  The region has indicated that right turns on red at bike boxes are prohibited, I would assume left turns on red are similarly prohibited.  Of course, given that this is not marked anywhere, nobody really knows, and everyone turns anyway.

As both a cyclist and a driver, I had no idea that this is a thing they claim.
Ultimately, if they don't have "no right(/left) on red" signs, then it's just talk, and no action.

I definitely agree, it's another pointless bylaw.  I doubt the police will even know to enforce it.  This was mentioned on one tour at some point, by someone from CoK.

This bike box however, we all know is stupid, it exists because when the intersection design was done...what, 10 years ago or more now, the city/region had a completely different idea of bike infra from what they do now.  Of course, now has its problems too, like, lack of safe and legal crossings.  Frankly, as a cyclist, I've given up following the law, I do what's right, and if the police want to ticket me, I'm happy to have a day in court.

WRT to bike boxes in general though, I like them, they're very useful where a bike lane ends, because they give me an obvious moment to merge into traffic instead of risking getting squeezed out at the intersection.  And obviously, they're important for left turns.  Frankly, I do left turns in the "bike box" way most of the time anyway (at least when I'm approaching a red), but it does occasionally freak out drivers making the left in the other direction who think I might continue all the way through the intersection. It's far less uncomfortable than merging through 2-4 lanes of speeding traffic.
(10-05-2016, 02:03 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: WRT to bike boxes in general though, I like them, they're very useful where a bike lane ends

It would be really nice if we could have them for those cases. I go through a few such intersections regularly. University at Weber, University at King, Columbia at King, and Columbia at Fischer-Hallman come to mind. I could see bike boxes being useful in those places.
(10-05-2016, 01:01 PM)KevinL Wrote: Another elevated intersection shot from the Ion team...

[Image: 14543657_10154602986282959_6410092675272411074_o.jpg]

That walk sign on the island definitely looks to be in the way for anyone crossing from One Vic to the Pharmacy to the Hub or vice versa. From that shot it looks like anyone with a mobility device will have to cross the tracks instead of using the island.
The first layer of rebar is down in Uptown

Attached Files Image(s)

the bus only lane and right of the island sign at King ("NB") and Vic have been fixed...now no bus only sign and a left of the island. No chevrons.
I have confirmation from Grandlinq that the final design of the signs here will be replaced replaced with the one in my avatar, the new Ontario standard for all LRT lines pictogram.

Edit - That's great news, jwilliamson!
Well this is great news!

New option may see LRT in service as scheduled in late 2017

I'm excited but I don't like that our opening ceremony will then get pushed close to winter. If it's like the weather is right now, I'm fine with that. But if it slipped at all, and went into November/December, then I'd rather just wait for a Spring 2018 opening.

No opening ceremony in the snow!!
(10-06-2016, 08:29 AM)Canard Wrote: Well this is great news!

New option may see LRT in service as scheduled in late 2017

I'm excited but I don't like that our opening ceremony will then get pushed close to winter. If it's like the weather is right now, I'm fine with that. But if it slipped at all, and went into November/December, then I'd rather just wait for a Spring 2018 opening.

No opening ceremony in the snow!!

There are definitely advantages to beginning ION service sooner, but if it is to begin sooner it is very important that it is as frequent as 200 iXpress is now. As I see it, we could feasibly begin service with 12 out of 14 vehicles (the number required for 10 minute headways with 2 spares). I would consider 10 minutes the maximum headway acceptable for launch of ION service. Anything greater would mean a reduction in service from the existing 200 iXpress. While it would be great to have 8 minute frequency from launch, I think the trade-offs of beginning ION service sooner would be worth it.

With this in mind, I would hope for a launch to coincide with the Holiday 2017 schedule service period. Hopefully, this delay will allow Bombardier enough leeway to have delivered enough trains to make 10 minute service feasible. While a winter launch may not be the most ideal photo op, beginning ION service at this time will allow two weeks buffer to run ION at further reduced frequency if absolutely necessary. It will also allow transit users and bus drivers the chance to get used to the new transit network before regular service resumes in January. 

The first benefit in my mind to an earlier ION launch would be implementation of GRT route streamlining around ION stations. There is a lot the restructuring will do to improve both the directness and frequency of trips on GRT whether or not those trips involve making a connection with ION. For instance, the realigning of routes in SW Kitchener to Block Line station and away from Forest Glen will significantly improve the efficiency of bus routes and reduce the amount of time riders spend on-route and making connections between routes. 

Until 8 minute peak frequency on ION can be realised, it would be good to see additional (unscheduled) runs added to routes in the CTC during peak periods. If there are spare buses available (by extending service life of soon-to-be-retired vehicles or otherwise), Route 7 King and Route 8 Courtland in the 2018 GRT service proposal would benefit from additional runs.

It may also be prudent to investigate the possibility of operating with 11 vehicles instead of 12 in case Bombardier's schedule slips. To ensure frequency does not fall below 10 minutes, we should look at operating with one spare instead of two. It may not be desirable to operate the system with only one spare, however if it is possible in the terms negotiated with Grandlinq, it is in my mind a risk worth taking, especially if the 12th vehicle is in the process on burn-in at the time of ION launch.

Ultimately, I don't want to see frequency sacrificed for the sake of a snow-free opening ceremony. What matters more is the service. 15 minute frequency on ION at launch would potentially damage existing transit ridership in the central transit corridor due to the existing 10 minute service on route 200.
I still have a hard time believing that Bombardier will be able to deliver on their re-re-rescheduled timeline. But other than that, I don't care whether the weather is nice when service begins.
(10-06-2016, 10:42 AM)dunkalunk Wrote: Ultimately, I don't want to see frequency sacrificed for the sake of a snow-free opening ceremony. What matters more is the service. 15 minute frequency on ION at launch would potentially damage existing transit ridership in the central transit corridor due to the existing 10 minute service on route 200.

If 15 minute frequency means we launch in September, I'm fine with that.
Keep in mind that GRT has no qualms with running 15 minute 200 frequency all summer long. Just instead of the 2017 September boost being a frequency boost, we get a vehicle/priority boost.

I want ION to be open and running as soon as possible even at 15-18 min peak intervals... There probably will be a special 200 still in operation at the same time as ION starts to fill the gaps, and as long as it is very clear that it's a transition phase for a few months it shouldn't be a big deal. Bus riders are already used to so much change that i'm sure this wouldn't affect ridership.

Also, I could not care less if the opening ceremony is December 31st at midnight with 2 feet of snow. We need this service, asap.
15 minute with reduced trains is optimistic. I'm expecting closer to 30 minute headways with anything less than the full compliment.

I have the day off so was (finally!) able to see some mid-day action instead of just barren construction sites after-hours.

Some guys working on the Cameron crossover this morning but nowhere near a concrete pour. Still missing welds. No forms or anything here either so that is not something happening in the next few days.

Unfortunately the Allen and Northfield platforms are both having their edges demolished for the grounding rework. The good thing is that Northfield has its station structure up.

Anchor wall hardware is sitting on-site at Cedar/Kitchener Market.

The real action is at Conestoga - I bet there are 100 people on site. I've never seen so much activity before! A big pour is happening there.

Northfield is looking great and getting cleaned up.

On King, between Union and Wellington, they have finally removed almost all of the orange barrels. Believe it or not but this is the step that really makes a section look "finished". As a cyclist, I hugely appreciate this, too, because those barrels ate up a good metre of rideable space in what is already a narrow corridor.

I can't believe it's almost done. Too fast!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »