Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
There's only one sidewalk along Courtland in this stretch - more on that in a bit - and the old bridge had no space to spare for it and the track, so a new pedestrian bridge went in, and it's now in full use.

[Image: mqUjHSo.jpg]

Gap between the two, showing the rebuilt parapet of the road bridge.

[Image: wqUXPPI.png]

The creek crossing from a broad view, including the car dealership's bridge.

[Image: 3WLCUhl.jpg]

There is now a second sidewalk along Courtland, at least from the Shelley intersection up. They've poured much of it, as you can see here.

[Image: A8YpBvv.jpg]

Coming further up, we reach Block Line, and yet another sleepered-to-embedded transition. There's a good number of these around, but none that have been completely connected yet, to my knowledge.

[Image: JjeNKfv.jpg]

Flip side of the road is the Block Line station area, which will have embedded track through it. Track got built first in this case.

[Image: RmWL27p.jpg]

The local TPSS sits proudly atop the fortress of retaining wall built for it.

[Image: iDAkQ8v.jpg]

It's impressive, the size of the plot of land between the freight tracks and the LRT. I can foresee quite a substantial development being able to go in here - I just trust that it will be properly transit-oriented.

[Image: hAd9J31.jpg]

Until it is built, there's quite a view from the crest of this hill. I wonder for how long riders will be able to enjoy it...

[Image: VCxDy1r.jpg]

[Image: tbcj7R5.jpg]
Around onto Hayward...

[Image: XWumKiP.jpg]

... which has been (mostly) graded and curbed but is lacking trackage as yet.

[Image: NrgcfsT.jpg]

At the rail corridor, signals are in...

[Image: TdHEj0X.jpg]

...and the top end of the CN yard has been realigned.

[Image: XuZHIFm.jpg]
Now, the next segment may bring me some criticism here for how I obtained these photos. I freely admit trespassing on CN property to do so, and I do not want to endorse such activity in general.

I do wish to clarify:
  • I undertook this at my own risk, knowing what I may encounter.
  • I remained off the tracks whenever possible, maintaining safe distance except when crossing over.
  • I remained vigilant at all times of any approaching trains.
  • At no point did I enter an active construction zone.
That said, this afforded me an excellent look a the new creek bridges that were constructed for both the freight line and the LRT.

Both bridges in profile.

[Image: 2bWT1Sa.jpg]

LRT bridge.

[Image: ZJLit4I.jpg]

Opposite angle.

[Image: FaJavhz.jpg]

From below. Interestingly, each bridge has a completely separate design for its span, but their footings do have cross-connecting piece as well.

[Image: gR6lxuQ.jpg]
(11-06-2016, 05:30 PM)KevinL Wrote: Now, the next segment may bring me some criticism here for how I obtained these photos. I freely admit trespassing on CN property to do so, and I do not want to endorse such activity in general.

I do wish to clarify:
  • I undertook this at my own risk, knowing what I may encounter.
  • I remained off the tracks whenever possible, maintaining safe distance except when crossing over.
  • I remained vigilant at all times of any approaching trains.
  • At no point did I enter an active construction zone.
That said, this afforded me an excellent look a the new creek bridges that were constructed for both the freight line and the LRT.

I want to weigh in to say that I think what you did was fine. The question is, why do the rules exist? For safety and to mark off property that the owner has the right to use. You checked carefully and avoided safety hazards, and did nothing to interfere with the property owner’s use of the property. Therefore, it’s not a problem. The same applies to all sorts of cases where the rules are, technically, widely broken — everything from bicycles on sidewalks, to speeding limits, to the exact rules for what you may do with the space between your property and the sidewalk. Enlightened enforcement authorities also recognize this and apply appropriate judgement when deciding how and when to enforce the rules.
Kevin - there completed ballasted/embedded transitions up North - Northfield platform, as well as the bridge on Northfield over the Conestoga Parkway. Photos coming shortly!

Sorry, but I disagree with trespassing on railway property and would never do it. Too much Operation Lifesaver in my blood. I do appreciate seeing what you were able to capture in your photos, though... I would have loved to have seen it in person, too, but just can't bring myself to break the law in order to do so.
Having spent a good bit of my childhood "exploring" up and down that rail line, along with the other kids in the neighbourhood, I am chuckling a bit.   It must have been an miracle that any of us Boomers survived childhood!  Wink

1/5 - Sunday, November 6, 2016

I was very surprised to see a crew working on the crossover up at Conestoga, this morning!

The canopy structure and controls cabinet has been installed on the "Northbound" platform, if I can call it that.

Driver's lounge.

Looking down Northfield, from the bridge over the Conestoga Parkway.
2/5 - Sunday, November 6, 2016

Kevin - here's an example of a transition from ballasted to embedded track.  What you don't see here (but still can, if you head to the South end of Borden - which I believe you did) is the "stair stepping" of the concrete under the ballast, which shallows up as the track runs into the embedded concrete section.

Curiously, there's a restraining rail at the interface point.

That's one hell of a gap between the ballasted and embedded track!

This is all being finished off nicely!  The track curve between the Waterloo Spur and Northfield.  Note landscaping is complete on the West side of the tracks, at the Northfield Crossing development.  I have to agree with their "NICE VIEW" ad!

Begin ATP = Begin Automatic Train Protection
3/5 - Sunday, November 6, 2016

I'm guessing "Line of Sight" operation, as in, no ATP/in-cab signaling?

North side of the OMSF (specifically, the car wash building)

Main entrance to the OMSF, off of Dutton.  Guy in the van is security, and I always get the impression he's a little jumpy - so no closer.

...Good thing I have a long lens.  Smile
4/5 - Sunday, November 6, 2016

Now to the Southern end of the line.  Looking West(ish), from Fairway.

Fairway platforms have been poured!

At Courtland, looking toward Block Line.  Ballasted track just about complete, here.

Track transition from Ballasted to Embedded track.  Note "Stair step" concrete foundations to shallow up the ballast at the transition point.
5/5 - Sunday, November 6, 2016

Block line TPSS

Embedded track curve from Hayward onto Courtland.  Note that the track will go Ballasted on the Huron Spur, through the curve onto Hayward, then switch to ballasted on hayward, then back to embedded for the curve, then back to ballasted!

Laying out the pre-rolled rail segments.

Looking up Hayward, toward Courtland.

Looking down the Huron Spur.
Is that actually a 45 km/h limit sign on a straight segment in the same frame as a 60 km/h limit for the roadway?

Limiting the speed of the trains in this way doesn't make any sense to me.

(11-06-2016, 07:05 PM)Canard Wrote: That's one hell of a gap between the ballasted and embedded track!

Is that gap for expansion? Or is it not supposed to be there?
(11-06-2016, 04:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: Starting at Ottawa and Mill... they've taken a very curious approach to the southbound track at Ottawa. For the time being (presumably over the coming winter), the track is completely buried under the asphalt - no deck plates like the freight track gets.

[Image: HnG2zvj.jpg]

Isn't the buried track the freight track? It's next to the signal and the chain link fence across the street separates the freight and LRT tracks.

But it's still an active freight line, so I don't see how they could keep it buried for more than a couple of days at most.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »